Paranoia for Drones

Check out all the power lines and houses. Not a very optimal place to fly. I bet he and his neighbor don't do Thanksgiving together....:mad:

Reactions: Del
In NYC, of all places. What were they thinking? Never mind, they weren't. I hope they charge them to the hilt of NYC law. Maybe some jail time and a hefty hit on their wallets will help make others think before taking off.

Reactions: Maddog
"They're coming to take me away haha- they're coming to take me away haha- to the funny farm where life is beautiful....."
Is that the song?
No, but yours is certainly appropriate for the topic. Mine was Cheap Trick, Dream Police.

Reactions: Maddog
In NYC, of all places. What were they thinking? Never mind, they weren't. I hope they charge them to the hilt of NYC law. Maybe some jail time and a hefty hit on their wallets will help make others think before taking off.

Yep, talking about being idiots. Still not a good image for the rest of us. Yep, throw the book at them, but... what ramifications is this going to have on the rest of us 'responsible' UAS/drone operators. Guess we will see what the establishment comes up with. Sigh....

I know what you mean. When the idiots out there get the headlines they do, it reflects on all of us. Like you said, who knows what that is going to mean for future laws and regs.

I've only been flying for a couple of months and still consider myself a "prehistoric newbie." A couple of occasions already come to mind.
1. My best friend and I were at a local park, had a 100' ceiling set, and I was letting him fly my SOLO for the first time. A neighbor to the park came over, and was asking basic questions. After a couple of minutes, I landed and asked him to give SOLO a try. I explained I had only a few minutes of battery left and he was welcome to use it up. He agreed to try and flew for 2 minutes, enjoying the view on the iPhone screen. He stayed and visited another 20 minutes as my buddy took a turn with the last full battery. Turns out, I made a new friend and also learned we share the same last name. He now wave's when he's seen me flying my favorite spot. As I look back, I'm thinking the guy was ready at any moment to get defensive, but a courteous, friendly gesture from me, took away his feeling of being threatened or his privacy being invaded. Obviously, I had to make a quick judgment call to let him fly my SOLO, and I don't suggest to everyone that doing so is an all inclusive solution. It just happened to work in this case.

2. Another time, I was testing what I thought was a problem with the GPS receiver, and I was flying low on my street. Probably not my best decision ever, but I'll get smarter. Anyway, I have one particular neighbor who is a thorn in the side of several other neighbors I've talked to. I've made friends with all my neighbors to varying degrees over the last 25 years. She comes out and asks if there is a camera on SOLO. At that time, there was not so I said no, but I can put it on if she would like to see? She said NO and asked if I was able to "spy" on the neighbors back yards. I said yes, I was able to do that but I personally consider that to be "bad manners." I also explained that I would have to go pretty high which eliminates detailed pictures.
I then landed SOLO and pulled up some pictures on my phone so she could see that rooftops were about all that could be discerned. This seemed to put her at ease and she walked away.

I'm hoping to get FPV goggles for Christmas and be able to share like the father and son in this YouTube
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm sure all here have stories to tell, thanks for letting me share mine.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I've only been flying for a couple of months and still consider myself a "prehistoric newbie." A couple of occasions already come to mind.
1. My best friend and I were at a local park, had a 100' ceiling set, and I was letting him fly my SOLO for the first time. A neighbor to the park came over, and was asking basic questions. After a couple of minutes, I landed and asked him to give SOLO a try. I explained I had only a few minutes of battery left and he was welcome to use it up. He agreed to try and flew for 2 minutes, enjoying the view on the iPhone screen. He stayed and visited another 20 minutes as my buddy took a turn with the last full battery. Turns out, I made a new friend and also learned we share the same last name. He now wave's when he's seen me flying my favorite spot. As I look back, I'm thinking the guy was ready at any moment to get defensive, but a courteous, friendly gesture from me, took away his feeling of being threatened or his privacy being invaded. Obviously, I had to make a quick judgment call to let him fly my SOLO, and I don't suggest to everyone that doing so is an all inclusive solution. It just happened to work in this case.

2. Another time, I was testing what I thought was a problem with the GPS receiver, and I was flying low on my street. Probably not my best decision ever, but I'll get smarter. Anyway, I have one particular neighbor who is a thorn in the side of several other neighbors I've talked to. I've made friends with all my neighbors to varying degrees over the last 25 years. She comes out and asks if there is a camera on SOLO. At that time, there was not so I said no, but I can put it on if she would like to see? She said NO and asked if I was able to "spy" on the neighbors back yards. I said yes, I was able to do that but I personally consider that to be "bad manners." I also explained that I would have to go pretty high which eliminates detailed pictures.
I then landed SOLO and pulled up some pictures on my phone so she could see that rooftops were about all that could be discerned. This seemed to put her at ease and she walked away.

I'm hoping to get FPV goggles for Christmas and be able to share like the father and son in this YouTube
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm sure all here have stories to tell, thanks for letting me share mine.

Thanks for sharing, Happy Holidays to you. Let's keep up the POSITIVE public image.

Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig