Paranoia for Drones

Reaction score
I don't know if is happen to one of you guys but to me is the second time in this week flying my Solo to check how operated the new upgrades... And suddenly a young military girl came up from her house asking many questions about what I am doing ... If I was taking pictures of the houses, cars, kids, etc,etc , and I just patiently explained what I was doing ....
Second time was similar situation now I was prepared I bring my little dog wich is a toy maltipu .... And bingo!!! It helps with the curious people thinking that you are a terrorist , and it is very understandable ... People... become paranoid after all these incidents abroad.... Just be patient and corteous I have to said.
Bring your kids or pets with you!!!

I don't know if is happen to one of you guys but to me is the second time in this week flying my Solo to check how operated the new upgrades... And suddenly a young military girl came up from her house asking many questions about what I am doing ... If I was taking pictures of the houses, cars, kids, etc,etc , and I just patiently explained what I was doing ....
Second time was similar situation now I was prepared I bring my little dog wich is a toy maltipu .... And bingo!!! It helps with the curious people thinking that you are a terrorist , and it is very understandable ... People... become paranoid after all these incidents abroad.... Just be patient and corteous I have to said.
Bring your kids or pets with you!!!
Where do you live?

So far, I have never been approached by anybody other than those curious about Solo. No negative comments or feeling like I was getting the 3rd degree. Not to say my time isn't coming, but I sure hope it stays friendly.

Reactions: XperienceVisuals
I am in the Gulf Coast ,MS , There aré two military bases, probably that's why people are in guard.

Reactions: Maddog
That would explain the guarded suspicion from people. You are right about children with you. I take my 5 yr. old grandson with me sometimes, and people are amazed how a kid his age can fly something that looks so complicated. He loves going out with me.

I have never been approached by anybody- I try to fly at times/locations with few people present.

If you don't want anybody to bother you, wear a pistol.:D

Reactions: prowler9 and Chuck
I love AZ. Been to Phoenix many times for the NASCAR races. I would love to get some shots at PIR on race day, but that wouldn't be too smart. Again, you would have to bail me out...:rolleyes:

I have never been approached by anybody- I try to fly at times/locations with few people present.

If you don't want anybody to bother you, wear a pistol.:D
Hahaha! Exactly!
You live in God's country! Last time I was in Arizona was in the late 80s when I attended Gunsite three times. Still intend on relocating some day.
Literally heaven for pilots and shottists.

I personally like to fly my Solo wearing a turban. I mainly fly over bridges and water purification plants :-}

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Be careful, nuggetz. In this day and age, a lot of people may not know your are kidding, and you may become a social media frenzy, and we may all have to come rescue you....:)

I've had 2 'incidents' so far in a three month span, all with a good outcome:

One, I was flying in a field testing Solo for range, I fly there all the time and is my favorite spot. County land, cows, birds, drainage ponds, no people, etc. So I flew out to about 3,000ft LOS averaging 200ft AGL. Well, I land near my usual Home position and powered down Solo and getting ready for another flight. Well, here comes the local Sheriff helicopter, dropping right in my flight area, the pilot of the heli' was definitely below 400ft AGL! If he would have come in while I was in flight, I would have had to avoid that manned aircraft. The chopper performed some circular patterns; leaving once then coming back a second time, looking for something. I figured out a patrol car would show up at my Home position under the tree and my Jeep, never did.

Second one was when I was flying at a local city park. Great site, but you have to haul your Solo out in the 3DR backpack to get to the LZ. So I flew around taking video of birds in flight and managed to capture some good stuff. Well, I took Solo up again to 398ft AGL (pre-set in the app for max) just to have a look around the area. GoPro fixed gimbal was set on horizon/level at the time. Anyway, I got back to the parking lot and was performing a second flight with Solo, then a lady suddenly jumped a fence and headed toward my vehicle, Solo still in the air, she yelled out "I'm dropping your rear door on your Jeep now", and I'm thinking WTF? She then took a picture of my license plate. I landed Solo and headed over to my Jeep to chat. Well, she said I flew over her property and scared here animals on the farm, and I apologized for that, as it was not intentional. Then I introduced her to Solo, let her kids pick it up and take a look and did another flight, videoing the kids, etc. Turns out here husband is a P3 owner. All is good, just represent yourself professionally and politely and you will avoid most encounters. Watch that one rule, flying over private property without permission, however, deeply wooded and did no even know there was a house there...

BTW: If I could, I'd move to AZ any day. Been way too long since I've backpacked and slept in the desert.

Cheers

I agree, Chip. If you don't argue, and represent the flying community with understanding and respect, you can diffuse a lot of people's initial reaction. Most people are more curious than anything else, even if they approach with a different type of attitude. I flew yesterday at a local lake to test after the latest update, and even with 4 batteries, I didn't get much testing done due to the people coming up wanting to check out everything. It was fun, and everyone thanked me, and said they appreciated my letting them watch, and answering their questions. A family with 4 kids were the most fun. By the time the kids made all their demands to go higher, turn in the air, and the usual kids requests, my battery went quickly. The last thing I did was gather the family around me and took a group picture and emailed it to the family when I got home. I got a return email this morning thanking me again, and he said his kids were still talking about the "black helicopter" that does everything. So it was one of those days when the testing I wanted to do will have to wait, but it was also one of those days that I wouldn't trade for anything. My hope is maybe these people we help educate about our hobby, may carry it on to someone who may have a biased opinion, and they can help us out with their new opinion. Keep up the great PR, Chip, and safe flying to you.

I've had 2 'incidents' so far in a three month span, all with a good outcome:

One, I was flying in a field testing Solo for range, I fly there all the time and is my favorite spot. County land, cows, birds, drainage ponds, no people, etc. So I flew out to about 3,000ft LOS averaging 200ft AGL. Well, I land near my usual Home position and powered down Solo and getting ready for another flight. Well, here comes the local Sheriff helicopter, dropping right in my flight area, the pilot of the heli' was definitely below 400ft AGL! If he would have come in while I was in flight, I would have had to avoid that manned aircraft. The chopper performed some circular patterns; leaving once then coming back a second time, looking for something. I figured out a patrol car would show up at my Home position under the tree and my Jeep, never did.

Second one was when I was flying at a local city park. Great site, but you have to haul your Solo out in the 3DR backpack to get to the LZ. So I flew around taking video of birds in flight and managed to capture some good stuff. Well, I took Solo up again to 398ft AGL (pre-set in the app for max) just to have a look around the area. GoPro fixed gimbal was set on horizon/level at the time. Anyway, I got back to the parking lot and was performing a second flight with Solo, then a lady suddenly jumped a fence and headed toward my vehicle, Solo still in the air, she yelled out "I'm dropping your rear door on your Jeep now", and I'm thinking WTF? She then took a picture of my license plate. I landed Solo and headed over to my Jeep to chat. Well, she said I flew over her property and scared here animals on the farm, and I apologized for that, as it was not intentional. Then I introduced her to Solo, let her kids pick it up and take a look and did another flight, videoing the kids, etc. Turns out here husband is a P3 owner. All is good, just represent yourself professionally and politely and you will avoid most encounters. Watch that one rule, flying over private property without permission, however, deeply wooded and did no even know there was a house there...

BTW: If I could, I'd move to AZ any day. Been way too long since I've backpacked and slept in the desert.

Cheers
Thanks Chip- you're a great ambassador for the sport!

The desert is still full of rattlesnakes, scorpions, Chupacabra, man-eating cactus, etc.- all waiting for you! Cheers!

If you like, I could send you some Cactus Candy- it's um..great.:confused:

Reactions: Chip Luck
I agree, Chip. If you don't argue, and represent the flying community with understanding and respect, you can diffuse a lot of people's initial reaction. Most people are more curious than anything else, even if they approach with a different type of attitude. I flew yesterday at a local lake to test after the latest update, and even with 4 batteries, I didn't get much testing done due to the people coming up wanting to check out everything. It was fun, and everyone thanked me, and said they appreciated my letting them watch, and answering their questions. A family with 4 kids were the most fun. By the time the kids made all their demands to go higher, turn in the air, and the usual kids requests, my battery went quickly. The last thing I did was gather the family around me and took a group picture and emailed it to the family when I got home. I got a return email this morning thanking me again, and he said his kids were still talking about the "black helicopter" that does everything. So it was one of those days when the testing I wanted to do will have to wait, but it was also one of those days that I wouldn't trade for anything. My hope is maybe these people we help educate about our hobby, may carry it on to someone who may have a biased opinion, and they can help us out with their new opinion. Keep up the great PR, Chip, and safe flying to you.
Great job Chuck!
You're right- when people approach you with a bad attitude, they're looking for an argument. Don't give it to them- diffuse the situation by being polite and humble and you'll probably end up with a new friend!

Reactions: Chuck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso