Parachute system

Reaction score
View media item 611View media item 610View media item 613View media item 612I finally got this up and running on my primary Solo. I custom made the mount from lightweight Kydex sheet to hold the Safetech Parachute kit - ST60 by Opale of France. The system is totally autonomous with the help of the Maday deployment computer. I chose the Opale chute system for a number of reasons; compact size, weight capacity and safety specs. Unique to Opale's system is the bottom trigger latch. The powerful deployment spring is held in the ready position from the bottom of the chute tube. This means that the Parachute is not under compression. No hard, compacted creases in the material which translates into more efficient chute deployment and opening. Total cost ~$300. Well worth it having had 2 birds drop out of the sky, destroying everything including my cameras. Not to mention this will eventually be a requirement for commercial flying.

Hi there. Your images don't seem to have posted properly, could you try again please? I'm really interested in how you've got the equipment arranged - I'm going to France soon and had been thinking about the Opale kits for a while. I might pick one up there. I'm concerned about dis-arming fast enough to stop any spinning props eating up the chute, say if a single pod failed and the a/c started to tumble. What are your thoughts?

The system is pretty robust, the spring ejection energy really puts the chute out almost with a bang. The chute is attached with a 1 meter tether so clears the copter safely. As pictured in my post, being mounted on the underside of the craft keeps the ejection path far enough away from the props.

Reactions: Rich_Adams
Also, once a motor fails the aircraft pretty much does a free fall (I've witnessed first hand, twice!) The Maday computer trips within a second or less, by that time downward momentum will assure full chute deployment.

Lost two birds due to motor failure? I have many flights under my belt with Solo and multiple DIY multicopters, but never lost a motor in flight. What am I doing right?
Parachute systems make sense when flying large birds with expensive payloads. I just don't see the benefit with Solo. The weight penalty alone must hurt your flight times pretty good.

Both falls were diagnosed as electrical failure. 3DR provided complete replacement including the GoPro for one of the failed units (under the original 3DR warranty policy) , under the new warranty the GoPro is not covered. Haven't noticed a big loss in flight time, using the MA replacement props. For commercial purposes, safety first. 7+ pounds falling out of the sky can cause significant damage to whatever is under it.

Reactions: jmckanna
the best way is to go hex or octo
they can fly home on a motor fail.

I still think there is a place for chutes
problem is they are all over priced for what they are. the code is in arducopter
the mechanics are not that technical.

Another good business option for someone with capital
make a reasonably priced chute and undercut the marktet

Airbag deployment will probably be the final solution over parachutes
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig