Panning speed control

Re: using the tilt paddle, it may also help to plant your fingertip somewhere and use the side of your finger to control the paddle. Gives you better control I think?

Also maddog that's quite the setup you have there. I just wonder how you use the extra range with the battery limitations. Or is it just for peace of mind?

There is a procedure to use SSH and update the controller's internal proportioner for the tilt paddle. I've been meaning to do this myself, because I too am terrible with that thing. I can never make smooth tilt adjustments because it's always too fast.

Re: using the tilt paddle, it may also help to plant your fingertip somewhere and use the side of your finger to control the paddle. Gives you better control I think?

Also maddog that's quite the setup you have there. I just wonder how you use the extra range with the battery limitations. Or is it just for peace of mind?
I live and operate in a hi wifi environment so I need them to "punch through". I never fly Solo out of site- it's really difficult to get good video if you can't see Solo to set up the shot.

True true. I have flown a lot of older FPV so I am sort of accustomed to using the live feed for general navigation but it's a lot easier if you are keeping track of where you are visually.

Hang on I think you're confusing the directions of movement here.
  • The roller on the right side of the controller, controls the speed of the gimbal TILT (up/down) when it's moving between the preset 1 and 2 buttons. That roller has absolutely no affect on any other aspect of movement other than up/down tilting between the preset buttons.
I have read the manual but somehow I'm overlooking the instructions for configuring the preset 1 and 2 buttons for tilt positions. Please advise. Thanks.

1: move camera to desired angle
2: hold angle preset button (1 or 2) until you get haptic feedback.

The blue or green dot on the camera angle arc on the controller should now be where you set it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluesgeek
2: hold angle preset button (1 or 2) until you get domestic feedback.

The blue or green dot on the camera angle arc on the controller should now be where you set it.

until you get domestic feedback?

Please, no domestics. Everybody needs to get along..:D

Domestic feedback.... making note of that one for the next dust up around my neighborhood

Certainly won't be taking any foreign feedback, if that's what you were wondering. #murica?

I still can't use the tilt paddle smoothly so I rely heavily on the presets.

... I too am terrible with that thing. I can never make smooth tilt adjustments because it's always too fast.

I hope this suggestion helps: STRADDLE THE PADDLE with two fingers. That is, use TWO fingers at the same time, one on each side of the paddle, with your palm against the left side of the controller. Now, instead of pushing the paddle with a finger, ROTATE your two fingers slightly, thus gently NUDGING the paddle. If the paddle is squishing the finger that it's moving towards, you're not rotating the pair of fingers together. But keep both of them in contact with the controller. This method gives you perfect control because you'll feel the exact change of the paddle's position relative to the controller.

Now that I've gotten used to straddling the paddle with two fingers, I can raise or lower the camera angle as slowly or quickly as I want, down to approximately one degree every 4 seconds. Slower than that requires the presets & dial.

Reactions: Maddog
2: hold angle preset button (1 or 2) until you get haptic feedback.

Okay, that's page 22 in the manual. My mistake was that I didn't realize that the preset buttons are on the paddle. I thought it was referring to the A/B buttons on the face of the controller.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

I hope this suggestion helps: STRADDLE THE PADDLE with two fingers. That is, use TWO fingers at the same time, one on each side of the paddle, with your palm against the left side of the controller. Now, instead of pushing the paddle with a finger, ROTATE your two fingers slightly, thus gently NUDGING the paddle. If the paddle is squishing the finger that it's moving towards, you're not rotating the pair of fingers together. But keep both of them in contact with the controller. This method gives you perfect control because you'll feel the exact change of the paddle's position relative to the controller.

Now that I've gotten used to straddling the paddle with two fingers, I can raise or lower the camera angle as slowly or quickly as I want, down to approximately one degree every 4 seconds. Slower than that requires the presets & dial.
Thanks Joe- I tried that a little and it looks like it will take some practice but it's definitely better than pushing with 1 finger or thumb.

I think having a neck strap to hold the controller will help a lot in this situation.

I was just in Chat mode with Vincent at 3DR about the leg extenders and neck straps. He said the neck straps were only for 'while the supply lasted' so if you haven't received one I hope you're still not holding your breath for one. He indicated no known plans for having them again but if they do they'll show up in the 3DR store (so much for ever getting the free neck strap that was promised). As far as the leg extenders I had to provide him with a copy of my purchase receipt from Best Buy and then he said he'd have some sent right out. I had to make a pdf file and also made a jpg copy of the receipt and now have it saved close by for future use ;-)

Neck strap was next to useless anyway unless you are child sized, or like holding the controller up on your chest with your arms out to the sides like a bird lol. They were pretty short, and I'm 5'10". You didn't really miss out on anything useful. I just use a free lanyard I got at some concert way back when.

Probably then just a standard badge holder like I has at work which like you're indicating, much to short. I have seen some that were adjustable in length but don't remember where. Ours were short because the Govt required your badge to be well above your waist and in full visible view. I'll have to poke around a little to see what I can come up with.

Hmmm; Just found this web site: Order Straps, Buckles, Webbing, Tie-Downs | Strapworks.com

Looks like you can get ready made ones that will adjust from 3' to 4', but it appears you would still need to get a snap clip to fit the lug on the controller. Not sure how long you would need one to be. I have to assume they are referring the total length to go from the controller, around your neck and back to the controller. You certainly have quite a variety of colors and patterns to choose from, and widths of 1/2" or 1-1/2".

Last edited:
There is a procedure to use SSH and update the controller's internal proportioner for the tilt paddle. I've been meaning to do this myself, because I too am terrible with that thing. I can never make smooth tilt adjustments because it's always too fast.
Do you have link to that discussion, I can't find it with any Search of have come up with?

I know you can control the speed of the gimbal rotation by adjusting the roller on the right front of the controller

On a sidenote, this never works reliably for me. No matter which direction I move the roller, the up/down movement of my gimbal never seems to change. I'm on my second gimbal and it's still the same. I just assumed "that's how it is". I've always been a bit jealous of how quickly the gimbal reacts on my Phantom 4 compared to the Solo.

On a sidenote, this never works reliably for me. No matter which direction I move the roller, the up/down movement of my gimbal never seems to change. I'm on my second gimbal and it's still the same. I just assumed "that's how it is". I've always been a bit jealous of how quickly the gimbal reacts on my Phantom 4 compared to the Solo.

That's because the roller is only for motion using the presets (where it snaps to a given angle). Let's say that you're at 90 degrees and your preset 1 is 45 degrees. If the roller is adjusted so the time in the bottom right of the controller screen is 15 seconds and you hit preset 1, the camera will tilt from 90 to 45 in 15 seconds automatically. Also may be in smart shots somehow but I'm not an expert on those.

Regular tilt speed may be affected by the camera performance settings (turtle/rabbit) but I can't confirm that.

That's because the roller is only for motion using the presets (where it snaps to a given angle). Let's say that you're at 90 degrees and your preset 1 is 45 degrees. If the roller is adjusted so the time in the bottom right of the controller screen is 15 seconds and you hit preset 1, the camera will tilt from 90 to 45 in 15 seconds automatically. Also may be in smart shots somehow but I'm not an expert on those.

Regular tilt speed may be affected by the camera performance settings (turtle/rabbit) but I can't confirm that.
If using the paddle on the upper left corner of the controller, the further you push it, the faster the gimbal moves.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44