P3 Range !!

Reaction score
Chuck (DBS) just stuck one of those little ITELITE panels on his P3 and ran it out 3 miles and back with about 40% battery remaining.

Hoping we can wake the Solo up a little or I will be buying a P3 for some of my flying.

3 or 30 miles that kind of distance I could care less about. Most of us are using UAV line of sight. I thought you were not allowed to fly via FPV in the US???

. I thought you were not allowed to fly via FPV in the US???

We have no regulation yet. Just a recommendation of LOS and 400' elevation.

I live in a location where I can fly from my home down along rivers and a lake and various fields. So I fly beyond visual all the time.

We have no regulation yet. Just a recommendation of LOS and 400' elevation.

I live in a location where I can fly from my home down along rivers and a lake and various fields. So I fly beyond visual all the time.

I guess that make sense, I really thought the regulation had passed.

I guess that make sense, I really thought the regulation had passed.

It passed for commercial use. The FAA website has this listed for recreational use:

"Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:"

• Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

The statutory parameters of a model aircraft operation are outlined in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012) (PDF). Individuals who fly within the scope of these parameters do not require permission to operate their UAS; any flight outside these parameters (including any non-hobby, non-recreational operation) requires FAA authorization. For example, using a UAS to take photos for your personal use is recreational; using the same device to take photographs or videos for compensation or sale to another individual would be considered a non-recreational operation.

I think the stock range is pretty heavily affected by environmental conditions. Some people have posted videos of stock Phantom 3 going over 3 miles -- that's just nuts! I haven't personally tested my max range (I'm to afraid to lose it!).

And someone over at the Phantom Pilots forum did a live stream over the weekend and the distance showed over 12,000 feet and the HD live feed was still spectacular -- it blew me away -- that lightbridge is really something else.

Reactions: rrmccabe
I saw one of the live streams too. I think the guy went about 8000 feet with full FPV.

Want a tracker for sure with range like that. I have been 10,000 with a modified V+ but its not near as easy as they are doing it with the P3 :)

Lightbridge rocks !

That is an incrediblely nice option to have though. With some of Hdr's hardware Components and software being open source/modular, would it be fair to say we will see a Solo version of light bridge being designed for it? I do know a range extender just entered the Horizon.

trying to find a place to put this article, only because it seems DJI has replicated 3DR's features for pre-set flight paths and home return in their latest "budget" P3:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/05/...d_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget&ncid=rss_semi

less range, more pre-programmed functions, $200 cheaper.

i'd still get a Solo just so i don't get "racially profiled" as a menacing drone user.

I am going to read the article so thanks for link.

Honestly, I cant imagine the Standard will go over well. In my eyes its a warmed over P2V+. Back to old Wifi and no lightbridge.

And the features they are touting I was told would be all the P3s. Its just promised/delayed/behind/etc. like the Solo gimbal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig