No Sololink WIFI signal after update

Reaction score
I updated my Solo with the new firmware and after a lengthy update process, 30 min or more I restarted everything and took my Solo for a flight. GREAT Right, yes indeed. Well get my Solo back out today, 1 day later and try to go for a flight and there is no Sololink WIFI signal from my controller. I tried turning everything back off several times and even changing batteries, but still nothing. My GoPro camera now will point straight to the ground after it comes up. So I am at a loss as to what the problem is other tan an issue with the last update. Has anyone else had this, and how do I fix it?

I updated my Solo with the new firmware and after a lengthy update process, 30 min or more I restarted everything and took my Solo for a flight. GREAT Right, yes indeed. Well get my Solo back out today, 1 day later and try to go for a flight and there is no Sololink WIFI signal from my controller. I tried turning everything back off several times and even changing batteries, but still nothing. My GoPro camera now will point straight to the ground after it comes up. So I am at a loss as to what the problem is other tan an issue with the last update. Has anyone else had this, and how do I fix it?
Lots of people are having lots of problem after that update. Might as well get in line, on-line, with 3DR chat support and see if it can be fixed.:(

Was this resolved? Or is there any news here? I have been having the same problem and have no way to fix it.

It's worked sporadically since the update but I'm pretty miffed since I spent dour days backpacking with the solo and ancillary tools with zero footage to show for the additional weight. :/

So I talked to support today and they said it's likely the little SD card in the wifi chip that's come unglued. They had me open up the controller and remove the glue then take the card out and glue it back. Hot glue or epoxy (I used a little bit of JB weld) would work here--just be careful not to use too much and make sure you don't get it anywhere near the card contacts. Works like a charm now. I've done about ten power cycles now and it's worked every time.

So I talked to support today and they said it's likely the little SD card in the wifi chip that's come unglued. They had me open up the controller and remove the glue then take the card out and glue it back. Hot glue or epoxy (I used a little bit of JB weld) would work here--just be careful not to use too much and make sure you don't get it anywhere near the card contacts. Works like a charm now. I've done about ten power cycles now and it's worked every time.
You're talking about the snap on connectors inside the controller that go from the wifi board to the antenna?

Reactions: PdxSteve
I replaced the wifi card in my controller several months ago. Never noticed that SD card. I wonder how many others are having the same problem but don't know this might be the fix.

Was yours actually loose?

Sounds like it is never supposed to be removed?

The SD Card is basically the hard drive for the on board computer. It contains the linux operating system and Artoos firmware. There's one in Solo too. No it's not supposed to be removed or come loose. You can take it out and install a new Artoo OS on it though if somehow your controller gets bricked.

Reactions: Maddog
The SD Card is basically the hard drive for the on board computer. It contains the linux operating system and Artoos firmware. There's one in Solo too. No it's not supposed to be removed or come loose. You can take it out and install a new Artoo OS on it though if somehow your controller gets bricked.
Thanks Steve- I had no idea! Never even noticed it when I was in there root in' around.
Hey, by the way- how do you know all this stuff? We're you involved in developing Solo?

No, but I've been heavily involved in computers and build and play with devices that are similar to how solo is set up like Arduinos and Raspberry Pi's. I'm more of a software guy but love programming specific hardware that involves sensors, reading data and acting on the data. Robotics in general...

@Steve: cool!
@Maddog: yeah the OS and data need to be stored somewhere and microSD cards are cheap and available. They used glue that's kinda crummy and gooey instead of regular stiffer hot glue or some kind of wire or clampy thing. Prob easy to manufacture but falls out sometimes apparently.

Can anyone tell me how to open the controller case? I've removed the five screws, but the two halves don't want to separate on the antenna side, and I'm hesitant to get physical without knowing how it is supposed to separate. Many thanks!

I believe there are 7 screws, counting the 2 that hold the tablet bracket on the back. And a smaller screw in the middle of the battery tray. Then the bottom of the shell will seperate, but I had to pry (gently) on both sides, near the top, with a small screwdriver, and "pop" it will come loose. Lots of tiny wires and connectors in there, so be very gentle and slow. When it does pop loose, don't try to yank the 2 halves apart until you unplug all the wires that connect the 2 halves. It can be a bit unnerving. And those little connectors have lock tabs.

Thank goodness for this thread!

after the battery, pairing attempts, the reseat of the card worked.

it sure looked like it was in securely but taking it out and reinserting/securing it did the trick :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela