No Gimbal troubleshooting sticky?

Reaction score
Was hoping to find a nice sticky since I just waltzed into Best Buy yesterday and found a gimbal on the shelf but like many I'm not 100% sure this thing works. Just took off the battery tray to look at how my Gimbal install went and I dont see any wires anywhere near the gimbal motor. Not sure how people were getting their wires to touch. I did notice that the fat part of the HDMI cable was nudging against one of the 4 rubber vibration doohickeys on the gimal so I'm rerouting that. Will that cause any problems? Last night while testing the gimbal calibration I noticed it would lean to one side. Never owned a gimbal so dont know if this is normal but I dont think it is. Image should always be level with horizon right?

3DR really should have put the extension legs in the gimbal box. I mean they designed the Solo AND the Gimbal so they know it hits the ground when it tried to calibrate right? Mine hits my workbench that that's completly level. I can't image doing anything outside on semi-level pavement.

Did you watch the video that was included your latest 3DR Solo upgrade?

"Flight School - Solo Gimbal Installation"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was hoping to find a nice sticky since I just waltzed into Best Buy yesterday and found a gimbal on the shelf but like many I'm not 100% sure this thing works. Just took off the battery tray to look at how my Gimbal install went and I dont see any wires anywhere near the gimbal motor. Not sure how people were getting their wires to touch. I did notice that the fat part of the HDMI cable was nudging against one of the 4 rubber vibration doohickeys on the gimal so I'm rerouting that. Will that cause any problems? Last night while testing the gimbal calibration I noticed it would lean to one side. Never owned a gimbal so dont know if this is normal but I dont think it is. Image should always be level with horizon right?

3DR really should have put the extension legs in the gimbal box. I mean they designed the Solo AND the Gimbal so they know it hits the ground when it tried to calibrate right? Mine hits my workbench that that's completly level. I can't image doing anything outside on semi-level pavement.

You just noticed something that I think was the real problem with my setup. The HDMI cable is pretty wide and stiff (<- insert dick joke) and it was STOPPING any movement in that direction! I reached way in and moved it so it was touching the rubber ball thing. The thing to do is to make sure when everything is screwed back together that the entire assembly moves freely in all directions.

I found going in from the top, battery tray removed, makes the job much easier and more reliable. Cables are stiff, but are easily trained/bent to allow a floating connection to the board terminals. This will reduce vibration in your videos.

I wound to doing just that. Took the battery tray off and routed the wires. I actually used a bit of hot glue and attached the large cylinder part of the HDMI cable right to the inside wall of the solo as close to the top as possible. The motor was sitting perfectly centered so I know that part was ok.

Took her up using the beta solo app as the last update 3DR pushed out yesterday was giving me lots of problem and caused the solo to disconnect every 30 seconds or so. Anyway my maiden flight with the gimbal went better than expected. No problem controlling it and it appeared to sit level with the horizon the whole time. No floppy dick action observed. I forgot to do the GPS cardboard trick while I had her open so I'll post a pic of my routing job a little later when I open her up again.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig