Newbie with some questionst got my

Reaction score
I've been flying drones since 2012, but this week, I just received my Solo with Gimbal. I've done the updates and should be ready to fly except....

1. No image from GoPro Black 4. No control over the settings, can't trigger it, etc. It is on firmware 3.0. Solo and controller are 2.1.0

2. Do I need to balance these props. I didn't with my DJI 2, but I've seen some rumblings here bout this. Is the Gimbal fast enough to compensate?

These are my issues tonight. I'd really like to fly tomorrow am as a test.

1.try turning on the gopro, then solo then controller.when powering up
2. its recommended to balance your props to minimise vibes I'm flying with props out of the box right now and don't see any issues

What @mudman said.

The props are probably fine. Good enough for you to get started. But yes they need balancing for best results.

So on the GoPro, here are some things to trouble shoot:

Make sure the GoPro wifi is OFF. It causes interference and you never ever want it on while flying.

One of the first things you should do is confirm the GoPro works. Shoot some video and see if it is capturing. Second, try hooking your GoPro HDMI out up to a TV if you have the right cable. If you can't get a live feed to your TV, then something is wrong on the GoPro side of things.

Assuming it checks out, then follow the startup order @mudman said. Sometimes I get lazy and startup in a different sequence, but if I encounter problems with the GoPro feed, then I power everything down, including my tablet and do this:
1. Power on GoPro
2. Power on Solo
3. Power on Controler
4. Power on tablet and connect to Sololink wifi
5. Launch Solo app

Still having problems? Then I go into the Solo app, click into the camera settings and change the camera type to a different model and then back to the Hero 4 black.

If that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall the Solo app.

Try those things and report back.

If it's still not working then it's time to check your cables carefully. This involves taking the gimbal off and reinstalling carefully. In the worst case it involves a complete tear down of the Solo itself to check the other side of the HDMI cable deep inside the Solo.

By the way, are you using Android or iOS?

Last edited:
Reactions: cameraguy
This worked, thanks. I also found I was not communicating with the Gimbal, so I removed it, and did a reinstall and it is fine.

Did anyone else find that was hard to put the screws in?

Now, how and where does the flpvr antenna get installed. It's an expensive piece of gear, and the vendors web site has not installation instructions. I also can't sm to find it on youtube

Reactions: J R
This worked, thanks. I also found I was not communicating with the Gimbal, so I removed it, and did a reinstall and it is fine.

Did anyone else find that was hard to put the screws in?

Now, how and where does the flpvr antenna get installed. It's an expensive piece of gear, and the vendors web site has not installation instructions. I also can't sm to find it on youtube

Camera,

It's just plug and play. You can pick up the FPVLR for a bit over $100. Pull the stock antenna's and install the FPVLR. Easy, Peasy. Not like the DJI stuff, no drilling holes and removing tiny little connectors. Just swap them out. I keep my original antennae's on in my backpack. On quick, in the moment stuff, I use them. When I'm settled down somewhere, I just remove the stock one's and replace with the FPVLR.

Jerry

Reactions: cameraguy
Camera,

It's just plug and play. You can pick up the FPVLR for a bit over $100. Pull the stock antenna's and install the FPVLR. Easy, Peasy. Not like the DJI stuff, no drilling holes and removing tiny little connectors. Just swap them out. I keep my original antennae's on in my backpack. On quick, in the moment stuff, I use them. When I'm settled down somewhere, I just remove the stock one's and replace with the FPVLR.

Jerry

I flew two missions as I call them to test things out. One with the stock, one with the FPVLR. To be honest, they were within a couple of feet of one another. About 1,000 feet. There really was no big difference. I spent $179 including shipping, and I am feeling like I just bought snake oil from the Gypsies.

I want to return it. DSLR pros have something for $49 that also has better range.

2 batteries weren't enough. I ordered a third. This is the best experience I have had with a Quad copter. I'm out tomorrow to shoot some more before 4 days of snow

You should have got much better range, were you pointing the controller in the direction of solo.
FPVLR antennas are directional and must be pointed toward the quad.
All the videos I've seen have given 2 to 4 times better range.

Reactions: erikgraham
I flew two missions as I call them to test things out. One with the stock, one with the FPVLR. To be honest, they were within a couple of feet of one another. About 1,000 feet. There really was no big difference. I spent $179 including shipping, and I am feeling like I just bought snake oil from the Gypsies.

I want to return it. DSLR pros have something for $49 that also has better range.

2 batteries weren't enough. I ordered a third. This is the best experience I have had with a Quad copter. I'm out tomorrow to shoot some more before 4 days of snow
The FPVLRs get the best range of any after market antenna. But as @mudman says, they are directional. As long as you point them at the Solo you will definitely get better range and more "punch" through foliage and other obstructions.

But the stock are omni directional and as such are better for follow me, and most situations where you are going to fly close in, simply because you don't have to deal with the hassle of keeping them aimed.

You can also get Amps for the FPVLRs if you really want to max out range.

The FPVLRs get the best range of any after market antenna. But as @mudman says, they are directional. As long as you point them at the Solo you will definitely get better range and more "punch" through foliage and other obstructions.

But the stock are omni directional and as such are better for follow me, and most situations where you are going to fly close in, simply because you don't have to deal with the hassle of keeping them aimed.

You can also get Amps for the FPVLRs if you really want to max out range.
Well, they must have realized that the DSLR Pros range extender was too expensive! They dropped the price from $299 to $129. If I remember, they released this about the same time Solo started shipping and I thought it was way over priced. Maybe they didn't sell very many and had to drop it to compete. Anyone seen a review vs FPVLR?

I'm just saying what my completely unscientific research says. Defining line of sight, both were no longer viewable by my eyes, but the only obstruction would be trees without leaves.

I'm not complaining. I had the best day I ever had with a quadcopter. Simply the best. Everything worked just like the the ads said, just like all of the users said it would.

I'm going to put up a short sample of today, and a review tomorrow. But, I did order a 3rd battery. It was too much fun.

3DR rules, DJI Drools

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks