Newbie looking for dead simple "for idiots" page for Solo Orbit, Selfie

Reaction score
Website
morongobillsbackporch.blogspot.com
I live in Orange County, California; land of the many cities with their rules and regs, and where people have been arrested for flying their drones. So I just feel more comfortable heading out a hundred miles to the desert to fly this bird on the public lands.

For whatever reason, I am running into difficulty getting the Go Pro Hero 4 Silver to film while the bird is in the air.

I would really appreciate a link to an "idiot's page" of instruction to get the Selfie andOrbit moves down. No doubt that my problem is operator error and I have found that the Idiot or Moron book series were a big help in other matters. My hope is that someone has made such a website for the Solo.

Thanks for any links and guidance.

Bill McDonald

Reactions: BRG
Basic instructions for ALL the Smart-shots are built into the Solo app and accessed as you select the Smart-shot.

If I had to drive 100 miles to fly, this is one hobby I wouldn't have!

Greetings from another Solo + Hero 4 Silver owner from Orange County, California! There are plenty of places to fly here, legally and without hassle. For example, all the public parks in Mission Viejo. If you'd like, I can meet with you with my Solo and help you master the smart shots.

Appreciate the replies. My schedule is weird though and opposite most folks. Semi-retired I work weekends only so really am unavailable at most working folks free time. Most hobbyists meetup on weekends usually. Thanks very much for the generous offer, Joe. I will plug away at it until I get it.

I used to live out in the Morongo Valley and Joshua Tree areas and love the desert. My reason for buying this thing was to try to film some of my hiking locations, the Orbit and Selfie functions would be perfect. Describing the Hangman Tree down the canyon 2 1/2 miles with words and a photograph will be greatly enhanced with an aerial view. I am really looking forward to it. In fact, I think that I will drive up to Big Morongo Canyon this morning and make another "learning" attempt;)

Decided to hike out by the windmills at Palm Springs with my new drone and Gopro in the 3dr Solo backpack which by the way is really a nice backpack. And I have good news and bad news about today. The good news is that the camera worked and I got footage from two flights. I also experimented with the Selfie and the Orbit moves. I think I got it now.

The bad news was that my Gopro locked up with the usb transfer, the Hero 4 Silver new update did not take and Gopro tech support sent me out an email with suggestions to fix the problem. Took one look at the email and put the sd card in a holder and stuck it into my laptop to review the footage. Looked good and I look forward to getting some desert footage on an upcoming hike.

Thanks to all who responded to my original post. Next thing on the agenda is to score a sunshade for my phone/controller.

Last edited:
Next thing on the agenda is to score a sunshade for my phone/controller.
I needed one too, and only had some cardboard packing material handy but this works well and folds down flat - I'm using an iPhone6 (sorry the pic isn't great, I traced the outline onto paper so it was a bit clearer).
I would've made it a bit deeper, but had to make it fit the cardboard I already had - it's worked fine so far in glary conditions in Sydney (Australia) and didn't bend/move in 30mph winds in Auckland.

Attachments

• 2016-10-29 22.30.46.jpg
    2016-10-29 22.30.46.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44