Newbe - Balancing Basics

Reaction score
I got the Bu-Bro balancer and rod recommended elsewhere on this forum.
1. Should the treaded hub be screwed all the way into the 3DR Solo prop?
Is it possible for the rod to be biased?
2. How should the rod be positioned in the balancer?
Rod weight just balances the prop or heavy on the prop end?
My results seem inconclusive. The prop will stay if started vertically. Either blade up. If i move it right or left just a little, the prop goes horizontal, either blade on the right.
So I am not sure what this is telling me.

Welcome to the forum Ned!

Yes, thread the rod all the way in.
I usually place the rod so the prop is about 1/4" from the balancer.

First, make sure the the rod is level when placed on the Du-bro. I actually use a small level to do this.

Next, balance the blades by setting the blade horizontally. If it drops to one side, that is the heavy side. Either add tape to the light side or sand some material off the back side until it will remain horizontal when placed in that position.

Then place the prop vertically. If it "falls" to one side then that side of the hub is heavy and needs balanced. Some people do this by placing tape or hot melt glue on the light side of the hub.

This is just a fast, basic run-down. There are many videos on YouTube. Here's one:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: erikgraham
Welcome to the forum Ned!

Yes, thread the rod all the way in.
I usually place the rod so the prop is about 1/4" from the balancer.

First, make sure the the rod is level when placed on the Du-bro. I actually use a small level to do this.

Next, balance the blades by setting the blade horizontally. If it drops to one side, that is the heavy side. Either add tape to the light side or sand some material off the back side until it will remain horizontal when placed in that position.

Then place the prop vertically. If it "falls" to one side then that side of the hub is heavy and needs balanced. Some people do this by placing tape or hot melt glue on the light side of the hub.

This is just a fast, basic run-down. There are many videos on YouTube. Here's one:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I watched the video and see a few things I was doing wrong. But when he went to balance the hub, it seems to me he said he was going to apply paint to the top of the hub but he actually turned it over and painted the wrong side. Am I wrong?

I watched the video and see a few things I was doing wrong. But when he went to balance the hub, it seems to me he said he was going to apply paint to the top of the hub but he actually turned it over and painted the wrong side. Am I wrong?
I couldn't tell but obviously you want to paint the lighter side. In this case the top. I use hot melt glue for this- not as pretty but much faster.

I find it easier to test the hub balance by placing the prop vertically- it will fall to the "heavy" side.

Reactions: erikgraham

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks