Motor Pod

Reaction score
How do you know is there anything wrong with the motor pod?

I had a bad motor pod on my first solo. I sent the pod back to 3dr and they sent me a replacement. It would not power up. On my p2, they said to check the motors after landing if they were hot. You might need to replace. You can check the rpms of the motors before taking off and if one is significantly lower than the others, It is going out.

I had a bad motor pod on my first solo. I sent the pod back to 3dr and they sent me a replacement. It would not power up. On my p2, they said to check the motors after landing if they were hot. You might need to replace. You can check the rpms of the motors before taking off and if one is significantly lower than the others, It is going out.
thanks for the suggestions. but how can I check the rpms of the motors?

Buy a digital laser photo tachometer. You will apply a special tape on the blades and it will give you the rpms. They have them for rcs on ebay and amazon.

It's from my expierence, three things to watch regarding motor pods to indentify failing motorpod bearing before finall failure:
1/ If it's hotter than others after the flight, probably problem with bearings;
2/ Listen how they sound without props on the table and with props on the flight. If you hear some unusuall sound: problem.
3/ Also listen when turning motors by hand: if some sounds different than others: problem. Also check for some very, very small loosiness when turning motors by hand from one side to another: it should't be any.

And usually it's starts with one of mentioned symptoms, and then adds others. For example, if motor sounds different when turning by hand it is also gets hotter than anothers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44