Most cost-effective drone tracker?

Reaction score
Been researching this. Looks like a phone (or smartphone) is a possibility, but it must accept off-the-shelf SIM cards, be light, and include GPS. I have it down to about 100 g for a 3G phone.

Trakimo looks like a possibility, but their website is messy IMO. The 3G version at $140 (US) for the first year is too much for me. I would much rather use a cheap flexible term off-the-shelf SIM card in a smartphone that might be used for other things too.

One interesting question IMO is whether the GPS can be cell tower (A-GPS) without built-in GPS hardware. It must be able to phone home anyway in order to report the GPS position.

Thanks.

That appears to be the type of tracker I am looking for, but... I wonder why they cannot make an English version. Apparently the most recent software update for the various "brands" of the same tracker includes Chinese text and some major bugs. The Chinese have the brand idea backwards. They make the exact same product (probably in the same factory) and market it under many different "brands". Seems to me that branding, the way it is supposed to be, is a major part of a successful free market. Looks like the right technology though. Will continue my search with the help of that clue. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, why do you need this? Is it something Solex can't do?

I have the TRACKIMO, when I purchased it from Amazon it was about $115 which included the first year of service. Once that year is up it will cost me $5 a month to continue service.
The TRACKIMO is a pretty good device for what it is intended for. I use it more for my dog than my drones but still nice to have it if I decide I need to use it.

Out of curiosity, why do you need this? Is it something Solex can't do?

If you lose link with the copter and it flies away you will still be able to find it (assuming it is not underwater).
I don't have concerns losing my Solo, but I have other "flying things" which may be harder to find.

Sounds like you want the Solex app but were unaware of the capability. Unless you're looking for a backup plan to Solex.

Sounds like you want the Solex app but were unaware of the capability. Unless you're looking for a backup plan to Solex.
No. A tiny bit of research would enlighten you. Solo software cannot track your Solo unless it has radio contact. Even GPS positioning on the Solo is useless unless you have a way to receive those coordinates. However small the chance, the idea is to provide a tracking/locating method for when your Solo is not communicating with your controller and for some reason it is not returning to home.

solex or logs off the controller will either one find your bird as well as anything.
And if you are flying the cube and master, there is a cool little feature that you can trigger solo to screech until you find it.

Reactions: Viper126
No. A tiny bit of research would enlighten you. Solo software cannot track your Solo unless it has radio contact. Even GPS positioning on the Solo is useless unless you have a way to receive those coordinates. However small the chance, the idea is to provide a tracking/locating method for when your Solo is not communicating with your controller and for some reason it is not returning to home.
Notice I never got arrogant with the person who started the thread. I will reiterate for You badzilla 'Solex' has the features he is seeking. I did not say the solo app.

Take a look at tBeacon($60). Welcome | tBeacon Small, lightweight(8.5g including cable), self powered. Can be connected to the Solo controller for GPS info. Activated by handheld radio (<$30).

Howdy,

Not sure how your question relates to this tracking thread. Plenty (??) of chances for a lost bird. Same reason I wear a survival vest when working SAR from the air....Solid preflight helps to insure the AC stays in the air....but we know despite OUR plans, life "happens"!!

This little gadget helps to track down a sUAS when the eyes are not enough! Fun to put on your dog's collar and go find them as well!

Tracking fits into the emergency plan profile(s). ...Hope for the best, plan for the worst!

Direct answer? Running the mRobotics updated GPS unit. Highly recommend upgrade! Great unit, and the mRobotics guys are fantastic. If you've got a question they pick up the phone and help you sort it out!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso