Maximizing lithium polymer battery long-term charge capacity lifespan

Reaction score
Maximizing lithium polymer battery long-term charge capacity lifespan

I know that the best way to prolong the state of normal Li-ion batteries (this is not the battery type used on Solo) is to refrigerate (not freeze) them at 50% charge. That is significantly colder than the manual-recommended temperature for the Li-Po batteries used for the Solo.

Apparently that is not the case for Li-Po batteries?

Of course, the manual says, "For long-term storage, store the battery in an 64° F (18° C) to 82° (28° C) F environment, between 45-85% relative humidity and with 50% charge."

This is room temperature, not cold at all. Does the manual suggest this only because the batteries will be most ready for flight at this warmer temperature, or, based on your research, should Li-Po batteries indeed be stored at room temperature for good long-term charge capacity lifespan?

EDIT: After further research, I'm pretty sure that Li-Po batteries keep their capacity long-term when stored as cool as possible without freezing (be very careful in that regard and give yourself some cusion - don't get too close), like regular Li-ion batteries. But the same risk of condensation occurring if brought out of the cold to warmer temperatures too quickly applies. Condensation on the inside is definitely a bad thing. See http://uterc.org/files/LipoStorageTips.pdf If you're going to be storing your batteries in a very cold (non-freezing) environment, when it comes time to warm them back up, make that a very gradual process! Or just keep them room temp always, like the manual suggests.

As you can see, the temperature makes a difference, but isn't very much better than storing at room temperature at about 50% charge.
RFfXQUc.png

EDIT 2: The Solo's "Li-Po" batteries are very likely just Li-ion batteries with fancier flexible casing on the interior. "...so-called “lithium-polymer” batteries are almost exactly the same as lithium-ion batteries, but they are instead contained in a flexible polymer casing. It’s basically just a repackaged lithium-ion battery." Lithium Polymer vs Lithium-Ion batteries: What’s the deal?

Last edited:
The Solo uses LiPo batteries (read the label). The battery chemistry defines the voltage per cell, and many other variables.
I personally would not store my batteries in the fridge. The thermal cycling from charging and use will probably cause more issues than just storing them at room temperature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spectre95

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl