Manual Fly Mode...???

Reaction score
This has happened to me two times now....I am cruising in fly mode with a GPS lock as always, and suddenly I find myself in Manual Fly mode??? This is pretty scary .... I depend on the GPS as a novice and have to land in manual mode scared I will crash.....this happening to anyone else? Anyone know how this happens?

If there is a GPS glitch (i.e. the GPS sends a wrong location) or if the number of satellites drops or the quality of the overall signals degrades so much the GPS can no longer be trusted the Solo will switch to manual automatically. This will also occur if there's a serious compass error.

If the Solo didn't switch to manual the consequences would be a lot more serious. I'd consider the location where you are flying, are there any structures blocking or reflecting GPS, are you flying too low?

Reactions: DattaGroover
If there is a GPS glitch (i.e. the GPS sends a wrong location) or if the number of satellites drops or the quality of the overall signals degrades so much the GPS can no longer be trusted the Solo will switch to manual automatically. This will also occur if there's a serious compass error.

If the Solo didn't switch to manual the consequences would be a lot more serious. I'd consider the location where you are flying, are there any structures blocking or reflecting GPS, are you flying too low?
I agree with all that and would ad, to understand and be practiced at manual mode. Assign it to one of your buttons. Practice flying in it (in an open space). Once you get used to it, it isn't scary, just not quite as forgiving as Fly.

Good advice, I have manual on button B but even I've not used it much and I should as over reliance on automated modes makes one far less able to cope should a problem occur.

Reactions: Jubalr
I havint tried Fly:Manual mode yet! But want to practice this mode next time I'm out Flying !
But I have a few concerns on few things!

I assigned my "A" to Fly:Manual

But now..how do I bounce back and forth from GPS Fly mode to Fly:Manual mode? Do just hit the Fly button to bounce back and forth?
Or do I have to assign my "B" to GPS Fly Mode and my "A" to Fly:Manual and bounce back and forth from "A" to "B" to change my Modes?

And I'm also concerned about how to stop the Motors after landing in Fly:Manual?
Do I land by pulling the left stick down and gently descending to the ground ...and then holding the stick down til the motors stops? Just like I usually do in GPS Fly Mode? Or do I have to do it differently in Fly:Manual mode?

Iv read that somewhere to Land in Fly:Mode that you had to pull the left stick down and then to the LEFT to kill the Motors...is that correct ?

Any how many options are there to kill the motors when landed in Fly:Manual mode?

Any input or thoughts would be appreciate it :)

Fly Safe

I havint tried Fly:Manual mode yet! But want to practice this mode next time I'm out Flying !
But I have a few concerns on few things!

I assigned my "A" to Fly:Manual

But now..how do I bounce back and forth from GPS Fly mode to Fly:Manual mode? Do just hit the Fly button to bounce back and forth?
Or do I have to assign my "B" to GPS Fly Mode and my "A" to Fly:Manual and bounce back and forth from "A" to "B" to change my Modes?

And I'm also concerned about how to stop the Motors after landing in Fly:Manual?
Do I land by pulling the left stick down and gently descending to the ground ...and then holding the stick down til the motors stops? Just like I usually do in GPS Fly Mode? Or do I have to do it differently in Fly:Manual mode?

Iv read that somewhere to Land in Fly:Mode that you had to pull the left stick down and then to the LEFT to kill the Motors...is that correct ?

Any how many options are there to kill the motors when landed in Fly:Manual mode?

Any input or thoughts would be appreciate it :)

Fly Safe
Del,
From Manual mode you can hit Fly at anytime to go back to the GPS mode. When flying manual, the left stick controls altitude so to land just use the left stick to reduce the altitude. The lower the stick the faster the decent, to a point as it is very controlled. Unlike Stabilize mode where it can descend and climb at accelerated rates. As mentioned prior, landing in manual mode and holding the left stick down and to the left will kill the motors when landed.

Del,
From Manual mode you can hit Fly at anytime to go back to the GPS mode. When flying manual, the left stick controls altitude so to land just use the left stick to reduce the altitude. The lower the stick the faster the decent, to a point as it is very controlled. Unlike Stabilize mode where it can descend and climb at accelerated rates. As mentioned prior, landing in manual mode and holding the left stick down and to the left will kill the motors when landed.

Thanks @Jubalr
Your input and experience have been very helpful !
I'm glad to hear to kill the motors is down and To the LEFT to kill the motors...I would hate to land and leaving the left stick just straight down and not seeing the motors stopping..so the down and to the left is pretty important to remember :)

And also good to know just by hitting the Fly button to bounce back and forth from the modes is a bonus...because now it leave my "B" free for my fav Smart shot..:)
I'm really looking forward to using Fly:manual mode the next Time I go out flying...I'm gonna make sure I'm in a big open area to practice in!

Thanks again

Fly Safe

Thanks @Jubalr
Your input and experience have been very helpful !
I'm glad to hear to kill the motors is down and To the LEFT to kill the motors...I would hate to land and leaving the left stick just straight down and not seeing the motors stopping..so the down and to the left is pretty important to remember :)

And also good to know just by hitting the Fly button to bounce back and forth from the modes is a bonus...because now it leave my "B" free for my fav Smart shot..:)
I'm really looking forward to using Fly:manual mode the next Time I go out flying...I'm gonna make sure I'm in a big open area to practice in!

Thanks again

Fly Safe
You will find that it is not that scary at all. Especially if there is very little wind, you will hardly notice a change at all. Practice it and you will like it, and it will likely save a crash in the future.

Reactions: tesmithp and Del
Del,
On my solo controller I have to hit "PAUSE" to go from manual mode back to gps mode. It does nothing if I just hit "FLY". There are several other posts in this forum that say theirs is the same way. Weird.

On my solo controller I have to hit "PAUSE" to go from manual mode back to gps mode. It does nothing if I just hit "FLY". There are several other posts in this forum that say theirs is the same way. Weird.
Iv been doing a lot of reading on this forum about that...It seems like some people are getting different results with different buttons !
I guess I'll have to find out the next time I go out flying to see what button is gonna work for me when bouncing back and forth from GPS Fly to Fly:Manual!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44