Lower Throttle!

Does this mean I can start drinking sh*t loads of soda? I made that mistake last time.....

Ya know, I come here to learn about my drone, what's coming down the pipeline and how not to magically turn my drone into a smoking hole in the ground. The pissing contests can be entertaining but I know who I'm putting my money on.... ;)
I'm going to require all participants to drink scotch/bourbon, whiskey, or water (in that order) and I'll be happy to (ahem) "Hold onto" your winnings folks...

Reactions: Dash Hewes
I had my first crash with Stabilize - because I didn't take the time to understand what it meant. The Solo was at about 10 feet - I switched to 'Stabilize' and it started to drop. I thought it was starting to land on it's own - then I realized it was falling, and I couldn't catch it quick enough - broke a prop. Thankfully no gimbal to worry about.

I read the docs and tried it again - this time I understood that 'Stabilize' is absolute manual flight. Just like a 3D ice puck. This time I didn't lose it. The ArduPilot docs suggest that you don't start learning to fly in Stabilize mode.

I think the ArduPilot Flight mode docs are worth a read -

Flight Modes — Copter documentation

KenMc

No I'm not evading your point.

Yes you are. Your statement was in stabilize mode throttle control is completely manual, I posted a phrase directly from ardu indicating you are wrong.

In stabilize mode, throttle stick does not control altitude.

Remedial training. Look at almost any user guide they will have an illustration of the left stick being pushed up and the vehicle goes up. Left stick down and vehicle goes down. Moving the stick up increases throttle output which in the majority of situations causes the vehicle to rise in altitude. Moving the stick down will cause the vehicle to go down. This is not altitude hold if that is your point.

Throttle stick controls throttle output proportionally from minimum to maximum, period, end of story.

Wrong again, see above. A direct proportional input would mean no input from the FC, clearly the FC modifies throttle output based on qualifiers making your "theory" incorrect.

To describe simply by saying "altitude is controlled by the stick" has literally no meaningful value.

Been training guys to Fly RC since 1974, whether increasing throttle and pulling back on the elevator of a fixed wing, increasing throttle on a fixed or collective pitch heli, or motor output of a MR usually increasing the throttle results in an increase of altitude unless your upside down lol.

And will just confuse people, since that is what the stick does in all the other flights modes.

Wrong again. "all other flight modes"? In Fly or other flight modes the FC uses an on board barometer to maintain altitude, the throttle stick can override this. In Acro for example this is not true, you are simply wrong. Note in the following video I am in ACRO and when Solo is upside down I pull the throttle back. In your argument the throttle has no effect on altitude :rolleyes:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In the other flight modes such as fly and manual, the throttle stick controls altitude directly. It proportionally commands a specific fixed rate of climb or descent, or it commands holding altitude.

No, not really. In FLY the FC is trying to,maintain a constant altitude based on a baro reading. Working the throttle overrides this "altitude hold" so while I agree with you on the theory is not a "direct" command it is filtered by the FC.

Man, I might have to dust off my Solo... That looks like fun!

Correction to my earlier comment - there is a lot to learn.

Stabilize is not quite like a 3D ice puck - because the FC is keeping the bird level (when the pilot releases the roll and pitch sticks). Throttle has to be maintained by the pilot - altitude is not maintained and is directly related to the throttle setting.

Acro mode is the TRUE 3D ice puck mode - I don't plan on trying it any time soon.

I took a demo ride when I was considering a private pilot's license - at one point in the flight the instructor had me release the controls completely - his comment sticks with me.

"You can let go of the controls in a properly trimmed aircraft - because an airplane Wants To Fly."

Point is - quadcopters - don't Want To Fly.

Reactions: Vegasrobbi
Correction to my earlier comment - there is a lot to learn.

Stabilize is not quite like a 3D ice puck - because the FC is keeping the bird level (when the pilot releases the roll and pitch sticks). Throttle has to be maintained by the pilot - altitude is not maintained and is directly related to the throttle setting.

Acro mode is the TRUE 3D ice puck mode - I don't plan on trying it any time soon.

I took a demo ride when I was considering a private pilot's license - at one point in the flight the instructor had me release the controls completely - his comment sticks with me.

"You can let go of the controls in a properly trimmed aircraft - because an airplane Wants To Fly."

Point is - quadcopters - don't Want To Fly.

Geez you guys are spoiled by all of the new drone flight controller technology. My first quad had a $7 KK flight controller that was gyro's only. No self leveling much less altitude hold. Today we call that Acro mode. When I first built that quad I thought is was so easy to fly that I was almost bored. I came into quads from the world of RC Heli's, which I had been flying for decades. My biggest Heli, a Predator gasser, is scary as hell compared to the sissy drones we are flying today. I still enjoy flying it - it gets my pulse rate a lot higher than cruising around in a modern drone that is almost impossible to crash. You haven't been flying if you haven't been doing flips and rolls and flying inverted with a 12 pound Heli that has a 5 foot carbon fiber rotor span spinning at 1800 RPM. The only stabliization these Heli's had is a mechanical flybar that just barely makes it controllable :eek:

Reactions: KenMc and Wetstone
It’s amazing how even the most benign question in this forum becomes a China Syndrome meltdown. Pathetic

So... if I get my Solo inverted and I push the left stick up it will gain altitude, right? ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks