Lost SOLO sells for $660 on eBay

I messaged the guy a few days ago and told him to contact 3dr with the serial number to locate the owner. He made it abundantly clear that was not going to happen.

Edit. He did, however, get back to me just now and said he was donating the procedes to the Planned Parenthood charity.

Last edited:
So the guy was willing to be charitable to some but snub to the true owner when it is entirely possible to locate the owner? Thats messed up.

So the guy was willing to be charitable to some but snub to the true owner when it is entirely possible to locate the owner? Thats messed up.
Yeah, his first reply was ranting about "someone could have been killed" and " I'm calling the cops" and that sort of stuff.
He did say he attempted to let people know in the chance the owner was looking, but he had no response.
In his defence, this thing fell from the sky and he has no knowledge or interest in it.
He ended up wishing me a Merry Christmas.

There has to be someone within a few mile of Denton Texas that has lost one of these.
Well, its lost forever now I suppose.
What would happen if the owner now appeared (and could prove with receipts and serial number it was his) and wanted to claim his Solo back.?

I don't think there is anything he could do. It's considered a lost item and therefore it's return is dependent on the good will of the finder. Which In this case... [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there is anything he could do. It's considered a lost item and therefore it's return is dependent on the good will of the finder. Which In this case... [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]
If it's a register aircraft only the owner can sell or transfer it, else I believe it would be a felony.

It is although it is not. We're not talking about a real aircraft such as a Cessna or a Boeing 747. It's not as if these aircraft have certificate of title. It has a serial number. Not a VIN.

might be right however the new owner might have difficulty registering their drone. In the FAA eyes the UASs are real aircrafts with exceptions. Once titled it would be a illegal sale or false transfer of ownership. Title or no title. Stating to the FAA that you are selling a aircraft that you found abandoned will not satisfy their registration requirements. Until 47.35 is updated or the new UASs registration states that 47.35 does not apply to UASs this is the law. If someone sold my missing register aircraft I would pursue the prosecution/compensation for a illegal sale of a registered aircraft.

§47.35 Aircraft last previously registered in the United States.
(a) A person who is the owner of an aircraft last previously registered under 49 U.S.C. Sections 44101-44104, or under other law of the United States, may register it under this part if he complies with §§47.3, 47.7, 47.8, 47.9, 47.11, 47.13, 47.15, and 47.17, as applicable and submits with his Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1 an Aircraft Bill of Sale, AC Form 8050-2, signed by the seller or an equivalent conveyance, or other evidence of ownership authorized by §47.11.

(1) If the applicant bought the aircraft from the last registered owner, the conveyance must be from that owner to the applicant.

(2) If the applicant did not buy the aircraft from the last registered owner, he must submit conveyances or other instruments showing consecutive transactions from the last registered owner through each intervening owner to the applicant.

(b) If, for good reason, the applicant cannot produce the evidence of ownership required by paragraph (a) of this section, he must submit other evidence that is satisfactory to the FAA. This other evidence may be an affidavit stating why he cannot produce the required evidence, accompanied by whatever further evidence is available to prove the transaction.

Yeah,those laws you listed are intended for ACTUAL aircraft which require a title of some kind.
Although if these laws do apply, do I need to sew a pilot patch on all my jackets?

Well the FAR I listed were for my two drones I registered about two months ago. I followed the exact procedure I as I did from my ACTUAL aircrafts using FAA form 8050-1. The FAA has always considered UASs as a aircraft. Thus all ACTUAL aircraft FARs apply unless otherwise stated with the UAS guidelines. Now my wife has pointed out that I am sometimes wrong so please show me where it is stated, it is not following the actual guidelines for registering aircrafts. Now I haven't deciphered every page of the new UAS registration guideline. I did registered mine as part of getting my 333 and don't remeber reading anything different.

Burke

I believe if it was found and the person was told how to find the owner and he chooses to sell it that is stealing and receiving stolen proprety. whoever bought that needs to call 3dr and have it returned and turn the person who sold it in before they are accused of receiving stolen property. As solo / drone Owners i would think we would be more concerned about someone selling a downed solo. I also dont believe he donated any money not that that should make a difference.. If he was flying dangerously or in restricted air he should be identified and fined. But letting some guy sell a lost drone is just wrong!

I believe if it was found and the person was told how to find the owner and he chooses to sell it that is stealing and receiving stolen proprety. whoever bought that needs to call 3dr and have it returned and turn the person who sold it in before they are accused of receiving stolen property. As solo / drone Owners i would think we would be more concerned about someone selling a downed solo. I also dont believe he donated any money not that that should make a difference.. If he was flying dangerously or in restricted air he should be identified and fined. But letting some guy sell a lost drone is just wrong!
I think this falls under "finder's keepers, loser weepers". Common law states that lost property is personal property that was unintentionally left by its true owner. Mislaid property is personal property that was intentionally set down by its owner and then forgotten, for instance, leaving your wallet on the counter, the finder is legally required to return it. If your wallet falls out of your pocket, the finder is not legally required to return it. There are of course, modifications to Common law which may state you have to return it to a government official and then held for a certain number of days which then reverts to the finder if not claimed. But who is going to know that you took the money out of the wallet first then returned it, or just throw it away rather than trying to find the owner? The drones are not specifically registered, only the owner. Anyone finding a lost drone can simply remove the FA registration number and keep it or sell it at will. When someone has no moral decency to begin with, laws, both legal and moral means nothing to them.

I think this falls under "finder's keepers, loser weepers". Common law states that lost property is personal property that was unintentionally left by its true owner. Mislaid property is personal property that was intentionally set down by its owner and then forgotten, for instance, leaving your wallet on the counter, the finder is legally required to return it. If your wallet falls out of your pocket, the finder is not legally required to return it. There are of course, modifications to Common law which may state you have to return it to a government official and then held for a certain number of days which then reverts to the finder if not claimed. But who is going to know that you took the money out of the wallet first then returned it, or just throw it away rather than trying to find the owner? The drones are not specifically registered, only the owner. Anyone finding a lost drone can simply remove the FA registration number and keep it or sell it at will. When someone has no moral decency to begin with, laws, both legal and moral means nothing to them.
Agreed on the no moralities but my UASs are registered as an aircraft and will soon be stickered with N#s. That scenario would no longer be a finders keepers game to a lot of us.

Agreed on the no moralities but my UASs are registered as an aircraft and will soon be stickered with N#s. That scenario would no longer be a finders keepers game to a lot of us.
I assume you're flying as a commercial pilot?

No need for registration numbers on the solo. The serial number is all that's required.

Edit. He did, however, get back to me just now and said he was donating the procedes to the Planned Parenthood charity.

He was probably trolling you, I doubt any charities will be receiving any funds from this guy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks