Loss of signal, flyaway, crash

Reaction score
Looking through recent posts I am apparently not the only one with a flyaway and crash after the latest FW update. Even before the update I had been having a recurring issue with the controller disconnecting and shutting down, sending Solo into RTH. I found the thread on "sticky buttons" but that didn't fix it. After the update, on my first multipoint cable cam, Solo shut off the gopro, went out of control and crashed. The controller was unable to communicate with Solo or pause the flight. This obviously wasn't the first time my Solo has gone out of control, but it was the first time it came frighteningly close to hitting someone in its full-speed out-of-control flight. So now I am once again grounded as I wait for a response from customer support, which has become very slow these days. I'm getting to the point that I really feel like the Solo is just too dangerous to fly. I don't need a personal injury lawsuit on my hands. This might be the end of the line for my Solo. It just seems like the problems at this point are possibly not correctable. I'll wait for a response from 3DR, but I'm not sure I trust it to fly any more, even if they supposedly fix it or send me a new one. I think I'm prepared to throw in the towel and chalk Solo up as a very expensive lesson learned on why I shouldn't ever buy another unproven tech toy.

Reactions: DancingHands123
just out of curiosity, did you do a compass and level calibration after applying the 2.4FW? I think this should be a mandatory recommended step after FW updates going forward...

just out of curiosity, did you do a compass and level calibration after applying the 2.4FW? I think this should be a mandatory recommended step after FW updates going forward...
Yes. Did both

I too did the same. I cal'd the compass and level. Coincidentally, that's when I had a flyaway. Before that I had multiple controller shut downs and subsequent RTH landings without incident. Both are running the latest fw.

And also out of curiosity which device are you using? iOS or Android? Ive noticed that my Android device has been giving issues such as battery level is not declining. Last flight it was stuck at 75%. Also video feed issues. No issues w/my iOS.

Dang..me more worried now to fly my Solo which already has 2.4.0 updated .
Are u on iOS or Android JonW ?

I keep seeing the same failures over and over from different people. I'm happily staying 2.3...

yep i haven't flown the solo in a few weeks...may be that' s a good thing. Will probably keep it grounded until 3DR figures their Solo killing bugs out.

... I'll wait for a response from 3DR, but I'm not sure I trust it to fly any more, even if they supposedly fix it or send me a new one.

I share similar feelings. In the 4 months that I've had my Solo, I've grown increasingly confidant with it to the point that I felt very comfortable taking it over oceans, cliffs, and almost out of sight.

Following my crash this week where all motors switched off at about 30 meters and it plummeted to earth, I've been considering the idea of ordering a replacement gimbal (it took the biggest impact) while 3DR review my case. However sadly I'm not too sure I feel confident enough and think I will need some assurance before taking to the skies just yet.

Reactions: bluesgeek
Still on my original 9 month old solo. Been flying 2.4 FW on android (Galaxy Tab 4 8") since it came out along w/2.3 version of app - probably about 30 batteries worth now. Many 15+ point MPCC flights over 5k feet distance. New MPCC, recalled/repeated MPCC, Orbits, etc. Stock GPS w/original copper foil shield, original motors, etc. Only an FPVLR antenna as an upgrade (besides gopro lens). My gimbal works solid and doesn't limp. Solo hovers in place with minimal drifting (maybe 6"-1'). I never did any calibrations after updates. I think the only time I've actually calibrated it was when I got it and another time after a factory reset. Not everybody is having issues and I'm not trying to discount them. I'm really sorry for those that are.

I'm thinking maybe some problems lie in the controller. Perhaps buttons?
Mine is less than a month old. Several problems from the controller shutting down. The last one was a fly away after a complete reset and calibration.
Its difficult to determine if it's hardware or firmware. It appears 3DR is sending me a replacement since the fly away resulted in a crash and breakage.
Mine was completely stick. Hadnt even done a cal on it until the reset.
Something happened, something changed.

Still on my original 9 month old solo... ...Not everybody is having issues and I'm not trying to discount them. I'm really sorry for those that are.
My Solo is only a month old, but have same FW/SW as you with both a Galaxy S5 phone and limited flight with Galaxy Tab S2 8". Using Alpha antennas right now, but haven't tried to stretch the VLOS distance. Made the cardboard mod but the actual 3DR GPS shield arrived yesterday in the mail. I have not experienced any problems (so far) with any of the system.

Why are some total flight systems flawless, and others experience catastrophic failure running the same FW/SW/HW? Or is it? Is there a combination of different 'builds' that could be causing the problems? As an example, loose SD card in the controller in Build xxxx, but not Build yyyy, etc, etc. leading to a FW/SW/HW cumulative potential disaster.

Why are some total flight systems flawless, and others experience catastrophic failure running the same FW/SW/HW? Or is it? Is there a combination of different 'builds' that could be causing the problems? As an example, loose SD card in the controller in Build xxxx, but not Build yyyy, etc, etc. leading to a FW/SW/HW cumulative potential disaster.
I don't know lol. Why is it some brand new model of car is perfect while the exact same model from the same factory and manufactured the same day right next to it might have a defect in the transmission that doesn't show up for 6 months (or the day after your warranty expires lol)? These uavs have thousands of variables that pretty much need to be working flawlessly and in tandem if you add everything together that is required for what these things do. One motor pod might be slightly out of spec. A faulty soldering job to a gps cable... lots of little things can go wrong in production, as well as during normal wear and tear.

I don't know lol. Why is it some brand new model of car is perfect while the exact same model from the same factory and manufactured the same day right next to it might have a defect in the transmission that doesn't show up for 6 months (or the day after your warranty expires lol)? These uavs have thousands of variables that pretty much need to be working flawlessly and in tandem if you add everything together that is required for what these things do. One motor pod might be slightly out of spec. A faulty soldering job to a gps cable... lots of little things can go wrong in production, as well as during normal wear and tear.
All your examples point to hardware, yet users complain of FW/SW updates causing problems. Some users seem to require a specific boot sequence of the hardware devices to get things stable or even functioning at all. I also haven't noticed that need. I just "turn stuff on", wait, fly, land, repeat... so far. (fingers crossed) :)

Not necessarily. Modern cars are stock-filled with sensors that are being run and monitored via software. There was a firmware update not too long ago that caused some issues in some Teslas. "Two weekends ago I was greater by Elroy that he had installed the newest Firmware. I got into the car and tried to drive. The dashboard display only showed the Tesla logo. I reset a few times, and even though the dashboard never came on, I could drive the car. Couldn't tell how fast I was going. Couldn't see, or use AP. "

Quite a bit more serious than our "toys" :)

...I could drive the car. Couldn't tell how fast I was going. Couldn't see, or use AP. "

Quite a bit more serious than our "toys" :)
Haven't you heard, driving Teslas in AP can be hazardous to you health and the health of others? :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M