Longer range Wifi *without* modifying TX.

Ok guys, here's something we were discussing today on another forum. Using a different camera and sending the commands down wifi. The git2 camera can be set up to log into a network. The problem seems to be the ap is in the controller so if the solo and camera are both connecting to it, they could cause wifi interference to each other and the camera won't have the wifi range of the solo to talk to controller. My idea is fitting a small USB style wifi repeater to the solo that both camera and solo talk to and it transmits to the controller. Would this work?

I'd be interested in your results. I want greater coverage distance, need to get above the trees.

just a question or suggestion
WHY NOT BOOSTING? I know it is an old topic but cheap. I get 18,000 feet straight and through trees is a breeze,4w 2.4g boosters ,plus microtics in con and solo. I know the controller is a little heavy but if you want punch and distance 4 miles isn't bad. I fly over my personal land were no one can be harmed.

WHY NOT BOOSTING? I know it is an old topic but cheap. I get 18,000 feet straight and through trees is a breeze,4w 2.4g boosters ,plus microtics in con and solo. I know the controller is a little heavy but if you want punch and distance 4 miles isn't bad. I fly over my personal land were no one can be harmed.
Mostly because the vast majority of us, I'm guessing, don't have personal land where no one would be harmed. We're concerned about obeying the FCC's rules on EIRP. Some of us are licensed with the FAA and blatantly flouting the FCC seems unlikely to be looked upon favorably. Lastly, I'm not at all sure the OP or the post above you would be served by this approach.

Mostly because the vast majority of us, I'm guessing, don't have personal land where no one would be harmed. We're concerned about obeying the FCC's rules on EIRP. Some of us are licensed with the FAA and blatantly flouting the FCC seems unlikely to be looked upon favorably. Lastly, I'm not at all sure the OP or the post above you would be served by this approach.
EIRP IS 4W IS FAA FCC compliant in U.S ! ....MAX BUT COMP right ?.
that it the max and you don't have to boost at 4w they have sunys that are very low to 4w, I can fly 18,000 I don't flaunt or try to boast its family land I didn't buy it .
boosting is a cheap and easy way to get punch through trees .I believe this is safer for your FAA FCC compliant people STRONGER MORE RELIABLE SIGNAL . that's all I mean. I was just showing how far you can go on simple cheap money. And I was just asking . I was not at all arrogant or ill on approach, I just wonder why more don't boost ?

EIRP IS 4W IS FAA FCC compliant in U.S ! ....MAX BUT COMP right ?.
that it the max and you don't have to boost at 4w they have sunys that are very low to 4w, I can fly 18,000 I don't flaunt or try to boast its family land I didn't buy it .
boosting is a cheap and easy way to get punch through trees .I believe this is safer for your FAA FCC compliant people STRONGER MORE RELIABLE SIGNAL . that's all I mean. I was just showing how far you can go on simple cheap money. And I was just asking . I was not at all arrogant or ill on approach, I just wonder why more don't boost ?
did I offend you or OP?

Didn't offend me. I was simply answering the question as I saw it asked.

FWIW, I read 4W boost as being added to the already 800mW output of the Microtik card, for a total EIRP of ~4.8W. That's the only reason I spoke about flouting the FCC. But maybe I misunderstood your premise.

And as the 18k/4 miles thing goes, that is just plain illegal until we get either BVLOS rules or waivers start issuing. For now, just plain illegal in my reading. But, you know what is said of opinions...

:D

Because in this particular instance I am taking a networking approach to getting more range.
Simply being able to get the Solo to associate to a different SSID than the same one that the TX and app are using opens some really cool possibilities
for me that include other options beyond "more range from the TX" and are beyond the scope of what I am asking or trying to figure out on this thread.

I need to have the Solo associate to one of our outdoor towertop access points... which by other means has an IP connection back to the TX app and ground station.

All I really need is better understanding of the config files and have a way for them not to be automatically over written by itself or the solo app or whatever the heck is going on.

Didn't offend me. I was simply answering the question as I saw it asked.

FWIW, I read 4W boost as being added to the already 800mW output of the Microtik card, for a total EIRP of ~4.8W. That's the only reason I spoke about flouting the FCC. But maybe I misunderstood your premise.

And as the 18k/4 miles thing goes, that is just plain illegal until we get either BVLOS rules or waivers start issuing. For now, just plain illegal in my reading. But, you know what is said of opinions...

:D[/QUOTE I value your opinion.
distance is illegal by line of sight this segment most are taking out of line of sight . I do it safely illegal yes but 200 ft above my own land 14 40,s square is were I tested my range, if it goes out of control in my yard or park at40 ft it would be hazardous houses etc that's in line of sight.
I have a safe proving ground.
I was posting about boosting, And how it is for me safer ,and constant.
boost 2w be legal ,it makes a very safe and reliable trans and less likely to loss of signal that is terrifying to me, be legal and conform I agree I don't take this particular solo to the park etc public.
I have three one of them has low watt sunnans for them and clovers on the third.
I am not trying to hurt our rep or make me an outlaw. I agree and some things disagree .
yes my 4.8w is illegal you are correct technically yes but there is things I am building with signals and that is most all that i use range and the need of my range and value in pushing this, if it hurt or had the negative impact on anything I would not do this.
I have pushed this distance 3 times on my land middle of nowhere three times. I am not try nor will I hurt fellow drone lovers or jeopardize our limited rights.
thank you for your correct knowledge. were here to inform and correct. You have done so!

Factory reset everything got it all back connected and tried again.

In Solo only file I can find that has my defined SSID is /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.
It contains the "SoloLink_name" line that I configured in the solo app.
It also has the WAP2 key on a line.
If I manually change the line to something like "Sololink_name2"
Then I never see it again it does not associate to an ap with an SSID of "Sololink_name2"
Although before manually editing the file and sticking with the name set in the solo app "Sololink_name".
If I bring up an access point with that SSID and WAP2key and turn on the solo WITHOUT the tx on the solo connects to the AP sending the proper SSID.

On the TX the only file that contains my SSID is /etc/hostapd.conf

It also has my SSID on it's own line "SoloLink_name and my wpa2 key on another line.

If I manually change the SSID here in this file to "SoloLink_name2"
on next restart of the TX it goes back to default "SoloLink" and wpa key is "sololink"

Grrrrr......

Irritating!!!

How the heck can I manually change the SSID that the Solo is using as a client

And Manually change the SSID the TX is using as an access point?

Also for cosmetic purposes how do I get the "SoloLink_" out of the SSID and actually use a completely custom SSID?

I'm able to quickly recover the Solo connection now by using the pairing switch on the solo.
This sets the solo back to default SSID client configuration with original factory SSID and wpa2 password

Simply editing the SSID line in /etc/hostapd.conf causes it to reset back to factory default SSID and password on TX restart.

Grrrrrr WTF! :)

I *think* part of the problem is that the system is set up to check the md5sum of the hostapd.conf file, and if it doesn't match, to revert it back using hostapd.orig....which is also checked.

Still casting about...

From /etc/init.d/configinit

#Manual modification of a configuration file (e.g. via console or ssh):
# 1.edit file.conf
# 2.md5sum <full-path-to-file.conf> <full-path-to-file.conf.md5>

Reactions: n8lbv
Because in this particular instance I am taking a networking approach to getting more range.
Simply being able to get the Solo to associate to a different SSID than the same one that the TX and app are using opens some really cool possibilities
for me that include other options beyond "more range from the TX" and are beyond the scope of what I am asking or trying to figure out on this thread.

I need to have the Solo associate to one of our outdoor towertop access points... which by other means has an IP connection back to the TX app and ground station.

All I really need is better understanding of the config files and have a way for them not to be automatically over written by itself or the solo app or whatever the heck is going on.

Well, Your project is indeed very specific. I understand your need to connect Solo as the Client to your Ubiquity access point. And you would like for your Solo to roam between your different AP on your landscape I guess.
One (yes, I will only start with that first) of my concerns is : I am pretty sure Solo don't have advanced feature such as 802.11k, v & r. Those protocols make your roaming FAST and transparent IF your Access Point does have those feature enabled. So, if your Solo choose to connect to another AP (BSSID), even if it is the same Network (SSID), your client (SOLO) might experienced a short disconnection. And what happens if Solo get disconnected from his controller? Rewind or Go Back Home.

It's an opinion from a WiFi RF Engineer.

I will continue to follow up your adventure ;)

Same here ion the free time thing I just got back from a work trip and have (you guesed it) more work to do before I can play with the Solo!
I see there are a couple posts here while I was gone (AWESOME!)
I'll go have a look!

# 1.edit file.conf

Oh I'll have to try that!!!
Interesting!

And what happens if Solo get disconnected from his controller? Rewind or Go Back Home ;)

I'm ok with the disconnects and re-association delays.
Fast roaming would be cool but I don't need that.
It can be configured *not* to return home on the disconnects.
The return to home can also be canceled once a new association is established.
We are getting beyond the scope of the original question here but it is great conversation and those may be future items for sure.
Right now I just need control of the config files :) to be able to actually get a start on that adventure.

I'm ok with the disconnects and re-association delays.
Fast roaming would be cool but I don't need that.
It can be configured *not* to return home on the disconnects.
The return to home can also be canceled once a new association is established.
We are getting beyond the scope of the original question here but it is great conversation and those may be future items for sure.
Right now I just need control of the config files :) to be able to actually get a start on that adventure.
I'm becoming more interested in your results, as recently I've been mulling over how to do in-the-air transfer of control from one controller to another, and your work, if successful, could possibly be combined with a cellular link or other 'third side' network link. This could allow a safe, confirmed, efficient transfer of control and thus extension of legal flying distance/places.

So, I hope things are going well.:D

I am interesting in trying boosting, how do I go about that, and where do I buy the stuff to do that?

# 1.edit file.conf

Also, if you've the time, look at /usr/bin/sololink_config , specifically lines 175 thru 306

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44