Lipo battery for Solo

Reaction score
Is there a way to make one of these standard LiPo 4S 5200mah batteries work for the Solo? Can you just hook it up with the same type connector and take off? Or is it easy more involved than my half brain idea?

ZIPPY Compact 5800mAh 4s 40c Lipo Pack

Thanks to you all for keeping this forum running. I'm new on the scene but have a great love for RC in general.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Is there a way to make one of these standard LiPo 4S 5200mah batteries work for the Solo? Can you just hook it up with the same type connector and take off? Or is it easy more involved than my half brain idea?

ZIPPY Compact 5800mAh 4s 40c Lipo Pack

Thanks to you all for keeping this forum running. I'm new on the scene but have a great love for RC in general.

Someone else might know more detail, but since the SOLO battery is a smart battery. It has an i2C bus on the top pins, and the SOLO polls the battery, giving you your onscreen voltage and current reading, ect.... I remember watching some videos last year about 3DR exploring tethered units, I would think they would loose all battery info there?, so you would possibly have to do it the old fashioned way, using a low voltage beeper on the balance port of the zippy or setting a stop watch and bring it in after 15-20 min or so. My guess also you would loose the low voltage auto landing features/notifications in the APP. I honestly have never tried. But I think there are better batteries out there other than ZIPPY. Just a personal opinion though.

Someone else might know more detail, but since the SOLO battery is a smart battery. It has an i2C bus on the top pins, and the SOLO polls the battery, giving you your onscreen voltage and current reading, ect.... I remember watching some videos last year about 3DR exploring tethered units, I would think they would loose all battery info there?, so you would possibly have to do it the old fashioned way, using a low voltage beeper on the balance port of the zippy or setting a stop watch and bring it in after 15-20 min or so. My guess also you would loose the low voltage auto landing features/notifications in the APP. I honestly have never tried. But I think there are better batteries out there other than ZIPPY. Just a personal opinion though.
Good info. Thanks. And yes, allot better batteries out there. Just one of the first I found on a search. I have a Hubsan H501S as well and have a few Zippy's. Not great, but good to get another 20 min of flight time in a pinch. I love the stability of the Solo compared to the Hubsan.

I believe the best way would be to hack a existing solo battery that has a bad cell. You would have to crack the case open and reuse the circuitry inside. There must be a cell voltage balancer. A charge cut off circuit and as mentioned before the battery status data the solo uses. Right now batteries are going new for $50 plus of minus 5 bucks so until that supply dries up I would stock up on a few extra batteries.

The short answer is no, although you can replace the battery cells inside a Solo battery if you want to go to the trouble.

The are sealed up like Fort Knox.

Has been discussed here on many threads if you want the details.:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks TomPara and Maddog. I appreciate your feedback. I'll search the thread harder and find the threads.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks