Liability insurance

Reaction score
For those who are operating under the 333 Exemption ... Anyone find a reliable and reasonable source for insurance?

Wouldn't a "Umbrella" policy cover you?
I have a $1 million policy that cost me $250 a year.
It may be possible, but you would want to read it VERY carefully.

The FAA classifies flight operations under the 333 exemption as "commercial"

I would imagine an umbrella policy that covers commercial flight operations is acceptable

I just got off the phone with my insurance carrier and in my case, non commercial use, I am covered under my homeowners policy and umbrella policy. I'm sure commercial use would be another issue but it's good to know that you have coverage if you are a "hobby" flyer.

Hey 10-8!

Thank you very much for the referral. I really appreciate that.
Joe Ernster

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey 10-8!

Thank you very much for the referral. I really appreciate that. If there is anybody else looking for commercial UAV insurance, please contact me.

Joe Ernster

I suggest anyone looking into insurance research A LOT, and know exactly what are the factors that provide discounts. In the USA, insurance is ridiculously easy, and super inexpensive by comparison to the policy I am required to maintain for Canada.

A good point to start research is: What You Need to Know About Drone Insurance

There are many, many, MANY UAV carriers/underwriters in the USA for commercial ops; most home-owners policies will cover hobbyist use (not so in Canada). Learn the ins/outs before you buy. There are a LOT of scams out there, and a number of great offerings. Know what you're buying.

I suggest anyone looking into insurance research A LOT, and know exactly what are the factors that provide discounts. In the USA, insurance is ridiculously easy, and super inexpensive by comparison to the policy I am required to maintain for Canada.

A good point to start research is: What You Need to Know About Drone Insurance

There are many, many, MANY UAV carriers/underwriters in the USA for commercial ops; most home-owners policies will cover hobbyist use (not so in Canada). Learn the ins/outs before you buy. There are a LOT of scams out there, and a number of great offerings. Know what you're buying.
Very good advice and everyone should do their research. That is why I went with a company that specializes in aviation insurance and with a long history and ratings:
AA- (Very Strong)
Standard & Poor’s Corporation
A+ (Superior)
A.M. Best Company, Inc.
AA- (Very Strong)
Fitch Ratings

They should also be asking YOU questions about intended use and experience.

Know Before You Buy!..

That's a terrific quote. What is the value of hull and liability? My hull(s) and liability are 21K and 1M, at 770.00 p/y.
No Hull unless/until I pick up more expensive equipment. 500k liability.

just an observation...the amount of damage and destruction a SOLO or similar could actually do is almost nil...You would have to orchestrate quite a catastrophe for these policies to make sense in a sane world...dont worry, I realize this world is insane

What would make more/most sense in the majority of shoots would be for the production client to add an "additionally insured" COI rider on an as-needed basis...and thats only for shoots which actually pose some kind of risk, not for shooting aerials over basically unpopulated empty land/water..

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks