Launch solo from a moving platform (boat)

Reaction score
Will solo take off from a 'moving platform' in completely manual non GPS acro mode?

I saw a post earlier where someone wanted to be able to take off from a boat moving around in the water.

I don't have an easy way to try this soon.

If that works I figured you could take off in acro mode then switch it into one of the gps stable modes once in the air flying.

I have no problem flying mine in acro mode but won;t be able to try this type of takeoff any time soon.

Not with current firmware.
It is not a GPS issue. The IMUs expect to see zero movement until armed so they can calibrate.
If you install the Green cube you can load the version of Arducopter master for Solo and be good to go. Otherwise, you will need to wait a bit for the master to be ported to the black cube Solos.

3dr are going to release a "Boat Mode" update at some point where you can take off and land from a moving platform. It's taking quite a while though. It is possible if you use solex.

3dr are going to release a "Boat Mode" update at some point where you can take off and land from a moving platform. It's taking quite a while though. It is possible if you use solex.
All of that is completely incorrect.

What Andrew said above is correct. To clarify, the gyro calibration on power up is what will fail. The latest version of ArduCopter can compensate. The old stock solo firmware cannot and will not.

All of that is completely incorrect.

What Andrew said above is correct. To clarify, the gyro calibration on power up is what will fail. The latest version of ArduCopter can compensate. The old stock solo firmware cannot and will not.
I'm just getting this from an article that 3dr posted a little while ago.

And Solex can definitely allow drones take off from a moving object. Fact.

The best approach to boat is use the supporting code in arducopter. That means the cube and current beta firmware. Soon to be released 3.5 will support solo, but for best results the cube is required

The best approach to boat is use the supporting code in arducopter. That means the cube and current beta firmware. Soon to be released 3.5 will support solo, but for best results the cube is required
Yep

I'm just getting this from an article that 3dr posted a little while ago.

And Solex can definitely allow drones take off from a moving object. Fact.
No. Not a fact. And no, 3DR did not write an article about boat mode on the solo a little while ago. I'm sorry but you are entirely mistaken. None of that is true. I suggest you look at the date of whatever article you think they just released. Bear in mind it is currently the year 2017.

If you want boat mode, you need to run the latest version of ArduCopter, currently the 3.5 beta. And in order to safely run that, you need to replace the stock Pixhawk 2.0 with the new Green Cube 2.1. And in order to make it all work today, you need to be participating in the Beta group for Solo, which I assure you I am intimately familiar with. None of which requires Solex. And none of which Solex will do on its own.

I know don't where you're getting your information, but it is really bad information.

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonS
No. Not a fact. And no, 3DR did not write an article about boat mode on the solo a little while ago. I'm sorry but you are entirely mistaken. None of that is true. I suggest you look at the date of whatever article you think they just released. Bear in mind it is currently the year 2017.

If you want boat mode, you need to run the latest version of ArduCopter, currently the 3.5 beta. And in order to safely run that, you need to replace the stock Pixhawk 2.0 with the new Green Cube 2.1. And in order to make it all work today, you need to be participating in the Beta group for Solo, which I assure you I am intimately familiar with. None of which requires Solex. And none of which Solex will do on its own.

I know don't where you're getting your information, but it is really bad information.
Your right, I need to start looking at the date of my sources

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles
So i have the green cube - all works well on land.... but a total fail on the boat. The drone and controller synched up. But when I try to fly - even in manual mode - I get a 2 beep tone "deee dummmm". Any help or ideas here? The second I got to solid land - solo took off like normal...

What firmware and instructions did you use for the Green Cube install? What procedure are you using to power up and fly?

Firmware is the 3.5 that you sent me a link to. Installed via solex. Powered up solo on the boat - powered up controller just after solo.

the da dum beeps can come from many things, it is just the refuse to arm tone.
Meaning it has not passed take off parameters
including no GPS fix
The only way to know what prevented it from arming is look at the logs

When you power up the solo, do the lights continue strobing blue indefinitely, or do they go to normal?

I'm selling my solo with green cube and wifi boosters with upgraded GPS and wifi cards (solo and controller) $500. Who wants It? I'm buying a dji mavic pro at Costco on Wednesday.

yeah you said that, I think if you post it in classifieds people will respond if interested
no need to hijack all the other threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44