Karma Review.. No punches pulled... Ha

This is a link to a youtube video that a member posted here. There are many more reviews out there, and not many are positive. In my opinion, GoPro should have concentrated on making cameras.

Reactions: Solo Keith
They tried that already.;)

3DR partnered with GoPro not the other way around. If they reciprocated more, literally got into bed with each other, we could of been looking at a suped up Solo 2, just Re-branded. Imagine that.

I find Karma a massive step down from Solo, or from anything else out there for that matter. Why wouldn't they collaborate with an experienced company like 3DR?

Maybe they did but 3DR didn't want to know, who knows?

Reactions: eclipseforever
If I wanted to read about the Karma I wouldn't come to the Solo forum!

I'm mearly demonstrating a comparison to Solo (although Solo isn't mentioned in the video), that even a company as big as GoPro have come out with something much worse than Solo.

Last edited:
Is it just me or do the flight modes look very familiar, but cut down.

I find it interesting everyone speaking of one brand versus another, yet there is no comments related to cost of ownership....all things being equal. Like you are never going to crash since you have OA and sonar....

Karma provides all the replacement arm assemblies for $50 each and landing legs for $30. Gimbal for $250 and a complete bird assy. for $400. Mavic (DJl et.al) appears to not have any user replaceable parts, beyond batteries and props....

Kind of reminds me of the lnspire, too sophisticated for a user to repair. I'm sure DJl will cut you a deal and all, but what about the wasted time shipping and waiting for the repair.....no bird, is still no bird.

Once you introduce moving frames into the equation. minor crash are now not so minor. Talk to any lnspire owner that has crashed..... I suspect Mavics rear arms will be a constant issue by the fact there is zero clearance when landing.... buy extra props...

Solo still stands out above all others be design and functional operation. And at today's prices, beats the crap out of them...

Karma is a close second, if only from the aspect of repair-ability. If Solo was not here, I'd chose Karma. Bird, hand held gimbal and portable 4K camera; that is bang for your buck.

Am I biased, sure, but I'm certainly not wrong...;)

I find it interesting everyone speaking of one brand versus another, yet there is no comments related to cost of ownership....all things being equal. Like you are never going to crash since you have OA and sonar....

Karma provides all the replacement arm assemblies for $50 each and landing legs for $30. Gimbal for $250 and a complete bird assy. for $400. Mavic (DJl et.al) appears to not have any user replaceable parts, beyond batteries and props....

Kind of reminds me of the lnspire, too sophisticated for a user to repair. I'm sure DJl will cut you a deal and all, but what about the wasted time shipping and waiting for the repair.....no bird, is still no bird.

Once you introduce moving frames into the equation. minor crash are now not so minor. Talk to any lnspire owner that has crashed..... I suspect Mavics rear arms will be a constant issue by the fact there is zero clearance when landing.... buy extra props...

Solo still stands out above all others be design and functional operation. And at today's prices, beats the crap out of them...

Karma is a close second, if only from the aspect of repair-ability. If Solo was not here, I'd chose Karma. Bird, hand held gimbal and portable 4K camera; that is bang for your buck.

Am I biased, sure, but I'm certainly not wrong...;)
Well Said Rich..:)

Cheers

There are a lot of you guys on here that use your drones a lot and almost full time in what you do. You are also comfortable with manipulating and managing all the pieces and parts etc and take the time to dive into aspects and capabilities that go above standard. You want to perfect your tools and craft and I can't blame you.
Then, there are probably a crap ton more folks (me included) that just want to get the damn thing in the air, do what it does and move on. Issues arise we send it back and get a new one. Time is needed on other pursuits.
Solo seemed to walk a line between the two and if they had simply stuck with it as a hardware platform, maybe making minor upgrades along the way until a MKII version was justified, and if they and GOPro could have had a longer affair, this would have been easy. Unfortunately it is far too difficult to walk a line between niche's these days without huge and patient capital behind you as well as focused leadership. Way too hard to keep you eye on the ball.

Thus far Solo has worked for me. My first one ended up having an error code about the manual camera control that wouldn't go away so they just sent me a new one. And that was after a couple months of ownership. I had already bought another from Best Buy when those went crazy cheap and it works like a champ. I am smart enough to realize this is a complex piece of technology that can have some issues along the way. I also realize as technology, it will likely expire sooner rather than later.

Reactions: truoccm
OMG! This guy in the video is hilarious. And has a nice car. Even lets the whole world see where he lives. Loved the Woodman bit. Headed for the big screen.

Come on GoPro!!
They should have just supported 3DR solo!!
All the features they have can all be achieved by the solo - better!!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

3DR partnered with GoPro not the other way around. If they reciprocated more, literally got into bed with each other, we could of been looking at a suped up Solo 2, just Re-branded. Imagine that.

I find Karma a massive step down from Solo, or from anything else out there for that matter. Why wouldn't they collaborate with an experienced company like 3DR?

Maybe they did but 3DR didn't want to know, who knows?
Maybe GoPro knew more about 3DR's problems long ago?

Waaay back when - a full year ago - I wrote on this forum I thought GoPro was working with 3DR, essentially having their done designed for them. I still think that's the case, and what we are seeing is really their version... in essence the Solo 2.

Waaay back when - a full year ago - I wrote on this forum I thought GoPro was working with 3DR, essentially having their done designed for them. I still think that's the case, and what we are seeing is really their version... in essence the Solo 2.

I had thought this too but where is all the smart shots gone (I know they have some but some are missing); maybe in a later update..

If this is the case the only major change made is the ability to fold it (not to mention the camera and gimbal).

Wouldn't it funny to open it up and see the 3DR logo printed on the pcb

I now this is a 3DR forum but considering the partnership 3DR had with GoPro, i thought some of you might be interested in this video in any case. I really instills in me a new appreciation of Solo..

Found this GoPro Karma tear-down video:

Its an interesting design; its an all-in-one motherboard. You can see the GPS module smack in the middle - how is it protected from any electronic interference? I've come across a lot of videos demonstrating Karmas drunkenness wondering with no user input; meaning that its not solid in the sky, sometimes landing itself with plenty of power left (a barometer problem maybe). With the amount of flights i have with Solo under my belt now, the one thing i have confidence with Solo in doing is being Solid in the sky with very minimal drift; it always seems to correct its position with relative ease, the Karma does not seem to do this well at all.

Anyway, have a look..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44