Just an idea...

Reaction score
I am thinking about having a friend of mine make me some "extensions" for my props. So, extension screws onto motor, prop screws onto extension.

That way the props might be out if view when flying fast forward, and looking straight ahead!?

Maybe an inch long???

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Beyond the added weight, it would be interesting how it would work out. I'd suspect balancing the extender would be an issue.

Build a spacer to lift the motor pod higher should produce better results...maybe. Take video....

Beyond the added weight, it would be interesting how it would work out. I'd suspect balancing the extender would be an issue.

Build a spacer to lift the motor pod higher should produce better results...maybe. Take video....

Good points...

I would have to ask my friend, but I believe some CNC machines can also balance the part you are making!? If not, I have two DuBro balancers, ha ha.

The idea with using spacers to raise the motors is great! BUT. That would require taking the Solo somewhat apart. Not sure to what degree, but definitely more work than using my "extensions".

Wait a minute... I once changed a motor pod... The motor is soldered to the esc board. I prefer my idea, ha ha.

Thanks.

how about bringing the gimbal lower via 3d printed spacer flush mounted to shell? hdmi and data cable probably already can reach..

how about bringing the gimbal lower via 3d printed spacer flush mounted to shell? hdmi and data cable probably already can reach..
Now that you are mentioning it, someone did that already. Don't remember who it was, but he used three standoff spacers (or whatever you want to call them) to lower the Gimbal. From what I remember, it worked great.

Don't forget to make the legs "longer". Obviously. [emoji1]

Reactions: Mike2679
Now that you are mentioning it, someone did that already. Don't remember who it was, but he used three standoff spacers (or whatever you want to call them) to lower the Gimbal. From what I remember, it worked great.

Don't forget to make the legs "longer". Obviously. [emoji1]
exactly re: the legs..that should be easy to come up with solution. I just think adjusting the prop shaft offset from the motors will cause stability problems

I would think spacing the prop significantly higher than stock would place a lot more stress on the bearings. You'll never perfectly balance the prop, and extending it will amplify the stress it places on the rest of the system.

exactly re: the legs..that should be easy to come up with solution. I just think adjusting the prop shaft offset from the motors will cause stability problems

I would think spacing the prop significantly higher than stock would place a lot more stress on the bearings. You'll never perfectly balance the prop, and extending it will amplify the stress it places on the rest of the system.
I agree with both of you.

Well, like I said, it was just an idea. [emoji5] [emoji5] [emoji5]

Thanks for the input.

Well, like I said, it was just an idea. [emoji5] [emoji5] [emoji5]

It was a great idea in that it was a totally new approach to solving the problem. Raising the whole motor is an off-shoot of the idea that would work, but for the complexity of implementing it.

Just take it one step further ,, maybe we could mold clear plastic props and then they would be invisible...

I rarely see the props. Are you guys creating a solution to a problem that barely occurs?

It happens if I tilt up to much but then the sun or the fish eye effect occurs. I don't like the look, so I don't do it.

It was a great idea in that it was a totally new approach to solving the problem. Raising the whole motor is an off-shoot of the idea that would work, but for the complexity of implementing it.
Thanks.

I looked at the motor pods again, and raising them is definitely above my skill level. [emoji5] That said, I might just try the extensions and see what happens. [emoji12]

I rarely see the props. Are you guys creating a solution to a problem that barely occurs?

It happens if I tilt up to much but then the sun or the fish eye effect occurs. I don't like the look, so I don't do it.
If the camera is all the way up, which it is quiet often when I fly, you will see the props for sure. Especially when flying fast forward...

That's when I tilt the Gimbal down, so the props are out of the frame. I would prefer not to do that...

Change the lens in your GoPro then no props in shot, no need to de-fisheye, no need to hack the Solo.
Dann it! I l knew there was an easier way of doing it, ha ha. [emoji5] [emoji5] [emoji5]

I actually tried a 5.4mm lens before, but I don't think I had the camera tilted all the way up. Maybe I did, I have to check again. Anyhow, I am planning on getting another one. Probably a 3.8 (maybe it's a 3.97. Not sure.)

Thanks.

Change the lens in your GoPro then no props in shot, no need to de-fisheye, no need to hack the Solo.
Actually, I just checked some footage whit the 5.4mm lens, and you still the the props... Just saying.

Actually, I just checked some footage whit the 5.4mm lens, and you still the the props... Just saying.

I guess if you are moving fast and leaned over you would. Most of my filming is at lower speeds and I haven't seen the props with either the 5.4 or 3.8; but I usually have my gimbal down at least 6 to 10 degrees to avoid excess sky and what it does to exposure.

I guess if you are moving fast and leaned over you would. Most of my filming is at lower speeds and I haven't seen the props with either the 5.4 or 3.8; but I usually have my gimbal down at least 6 to 10 degrees to avoid excess sky and what it does to exposure.
Another way to avoid seeing the props is to tilt the camera 90° down... Or putting the Solo on your kitchen counter and turn the props so they are out of the way... [emoji12]

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks