Is there a Chinese Camera alternative to using a Go Pro 3+ and up..??

Reaction score
I have a GoPro 3 White, brand new. I see that the 3+ offers more functionality over the 3 version. Knowing there are some pretty good Cheap Chinese 4k action cams out, has anyone been successful in using one that gives you complete functionality like a GP 3+, or limited functionality like a GP 3.

I guess the important part is the streaming video for the tablet mounted on the controller. Any thoughts..??

Not with the gimbal. Even the other action cams with the same form factor won't fit because of the GoPro plug that protrudes from the back. Search the forum...this topic comes up often.

I have seen some videos on youtube of people doing mods to make gopro knockoffs work,but all look hokey, velcro for counter balance .biggest problem is HDMI hookup is on opposite sides.

Trivial to make a 3d printed adapter - there are a couple on Thingiverse. The SJ4000 works fine, just avoid the counterfits. Caveat is you will not get any camera controls - that does require a real GoPro...

Not with the gimbal. Even the other action cams with the same form factor won't fit because of the GoPro plug that protrudes from the back. Search the forum...this topic comes up often.

Trivial to make a 3d printed adapter - there are a couple on Thingiverse. The SJ4000 works fine, just avoid the counterfits. Caveat is you will not get any camera controls - that does require a real GoPro...

Agree, the SJ4000 is always my first go-to camera because it has good video quality and is relatively cheap (and dispensible). Truth is, I can stick almost any action cam on the gimbal with electrical tape. Camera functionality is what makes the Solo great. If you don't have that, you might as well go with a cheap Cyma.

Thanks for the info, is there a large difference between the Hero 3 White and say a Hero 3+ White or Silver when using the Solo Gimbal..??

I see a few good deals out there on Hero 4's both Silver and Black. I'm not interested in 4K, but would like to have full functionality with the 3DR Solo...

Last edited:
Why does that sound too good to be true? Feedback shows 100% positive, but no feedback in the last 30 days. eBay's refund policy is a pretty good safety net, though.

Hmmm...problem solved... Hero 4 Black factory refurbished.... $15.36, you can only buy 1 EBay won't accept orders larger than one per account...

GoPro HERO4 Black Edition Camera Manufacturer Refurbished hot 818279012767 | eBay

Yup, was just notified that eBay pulled this item from their site. But they didn't refund my $15! They said to be patient and watch tracking. They pulled it from eBay, so there's no way to track! So I have to wait patiently for the delivery date to pass and then submit for a refund. :cool:

I have the Firefly 6 I fly with the fixed mount. No camera control but I do get live video through the HDMI.
So if my action camera has a HDMI outlet plug it will send video to my tablet? Does the make of camera have anything to do with it or just need an HDMI plug?

From what I've heard, some aftermarket action cameras with HDMI out work with Solo, some don't. Solo is only "guaranteed " to work with GoPro 3+ Black or 4 Black and Silver.

Ok, thanks, might be worth a try, just want to have a video feed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig