Interesting simple GPS mod from Facebook

The M8N >reports< higher satellites and thus lower P/HDOP, means nowt, the logic putting the satellites together is within the ublox and 3DR's testing found an M8N in practice in a Solo offered in reality little benefit, issues cited included its susceptibility to noise.

I've seen this mentioned before about the M8N. My reality so far has differed from that reality and I have yet to hear of anyone else having problems with the M8N.

If I experience problems I'll certainly post about it. I hope others would too.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I just finished the M8N install. Ground test show a lot od sat# with in the 1st minute. I did do a compass cal and got GPS lock within 30 seconds. The next two power-on had GPS ready to fly in 20secs. Can't wait for the motor pods so I can do some real testing

I just finished the M8N install. Ground test show a lot od sat# with in the 1st minute. I did do a compass cal and got GPS lock within 30 seconds. The next two power-on had GPS ready to fly in 20secs. Can't wait for the motor pods so I can do some real testing

I was at my local flying zone today, a school yard, had 20 sats and 0.9 hdop. Ready to fly in about 30 seconds. So far it's been excellent.

Reactions: Burkeam
i purchased the neo 7n and will mount external.but what i was thinking is mounting a switch so that when there is an update , i can switch on the old gps and update without having to open anything

So I got my Solo about a month ago. I have not flown it more than 4 times since then. Mainly, because I could not get a good GPS lock and weather has been really bad. I wanted to fly it out in the back yard sometimes and have not been able to because I could only get 5 sats and no lock. When I first got it, I checked the connections etc but still could not fly at the house. Well, yesterday, with family over, I wanted to fly could not get anything going. Tried again this AM nothing. Frustrated and disappointed, I found this mod. Figured its free and easy to do. Well. It worked extremely well. I turned on the Solo in the kitchen and walked outside with it, put it on the deck and walked back in the house. I had GPS lock. It was less than 1 min. So to try something different, I brought th SOLO into the house, turned it off and set on counter. Turned it on and got gps lock in seconds and was ready to fly. So, if you are having issues with the gps lock, try this.

Reactions: RichWest
So I got my Solo about a month ago. I have not flown it more than 4 times since then. Mainly, because I could not get a good GPS lock and weather has been really bad. I wanted to fly it out in the back yard sometimes and have not been able to because I could only get 5 sats and no lock. When I first got it, I checked the connections etc but still could not fly at the house. Well, yesterday, with family over, I wanted to fly could not get anything going. Tried again this AM nothing. Frustrated and disappointed, I found this mod. Figured its free and easy to do. Well. It worked extremely well. I turned on the Solo in the kitchen and walked outside with it, put it on the deck and walked back in the house. I had GPS lock. It was less than 1 min. So to try something different, I brought th SOLO into the house, turned it off and set on counter. Turned it on and got gps lock in seconds and was ready to fly. So, if you are having issues with the gps lock, try this.
It really is easy to install the spacer as suggested in the first post. I've been flying with my version of the same for three months. Some days and/or locations are better than others, but this is truly the best mod to date for the Solo with GPS woes...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44