Interesting simple GPS mod from Facebook

NYG

Reaction score
Since i have my Solo opened up at the moment I did this mod. I can't test it until tomorrow because I'm waiting for some silicone to dry on my antenna connections.

I also expect the M8N GPS module that's been spoken about here to be delivered tomorrow. I may just shelve it for a bit because I haven't had serious GPS issues.

This looks interesting and might be a very simple solution for faster and better GPS lock with the stock GPS module. All it does put some space between the copper shielding and GPS module itself by using a small piece of cardboard.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Raybro and dcal
I just watched this and came to post haha.... Anyone here try this yet? I may try it tomorrow

I just watched this and came to post haha.... Anyone here try this yet? I may try it tomorrow

I can't wait to see how it works. The one spot that give me GPS headaches is on my front lawn. Tomorrow when I put everything back together that'll be the first thing I try.

I usually lock fairly quick at 7 - 8 sat and when I get up in the air 10 - 11. Wonder if opening up solo will void the war.

I'd suggest either waiting a few days or read the Facebook Mod Club as a few improvement have already been suggested for this mod, including the use of a material that can't absorb water unlike cardboard.

Reactions: Raybro
A piece of plastic cut from a cheap file folder....like what I made a sun shade with would work fine. Even a wide piece of packaging tape placed over the antenna.

I'd suggest either waiting a few days or read the Facebook Mod Club as a few improvement have already been suggested for this mod, including the use of a material that can't absorb water unlike cardboard.
Thanks for the tip and let us know when some other tests have been made with other materials.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I think I like your External NEO-7N Mod better......I don't do SmackBook.

I tried it today. Didn't notice any improvement. Did a simple test. Same spot I timed amount of satellites acquired in 2:30 min, which was 7 satellites. After the mod I had 6 satellites at 2:30min and 6 satellites after 3:30min - can't say it's worse since there is a margin of error but definitely no improvement.

I'm slowly thinking of possibly returning solo, and going back to phantom. I don't think solo ready and I definitely don't want to be 3dr's beta tester on my dime. It's definitely overpriced for this stage of development.

There are some firmware changes related to GPS coming up but I've no idea how much difference they'll make. The firmware is due this month, possibly very soon.

Reactions: prowler9
I've parked my second Solo until 3DR gets it's act together. My first Solo is grounded do to perpetual Magnetic Interference Lock! I'm now having a pleasure flying my low tech. Blade 350 QX3 AP Combo. It gets lock in seconds and it's in the air filming. It's not Solo but it does fly. It seems at this stage Solo is suited only for flying in rural isolated areas. And, if you think about it all of their promotional materials show Solo flying in remote areas. I can't remember any shots of Solo flying over neighborhoods, between buildings and over more urban areas. What's interesting is my cheap Blade fly's in all of those places. I don't get it.

Tried this today with a piece of lexan I dremelled to fit and I lost gps for the first time since my glitch a few weeks back. I've seen others say it worked amazingly well but even after waiting the initial 5 minutes it took to lock I still had hope. Thought maybe it needed to reset since gps and battery is unplugged in the process, after losing gps in the middle of my yard I'm removing mine. I hoped for the best but didn't see any real improvement, I'm just happy I was in manual when I lost gps cause that's when I had the issue last time.

I attempted this mod last night and ran into a problem. I pinched the connector on the GPS module very carefully and before I even pulled on the connector, it came off the board. Any ideas how to fix this or where to buy a new GPS module?

ouch, sorry to hear about your broken connector. Perhaps put in a support ticket saying the GPS is not working. ;)

As to others that attempt this 'mod', half of it is to insulate the GPS module, the other half of it is to be sure the ground plane is 4 to 5 mm away from the GPS 'stub'. So don't just use mylar, be sure the ground plane is 4-5 mm way from the GPS.

I attempted this mod last night and ran into a problem. I pinched the connector on the GPS module very carefully and before I even pulled on the connector, it came off the board. Any ideas how to fix this or where to buy a new GPS module?

I did the mod and for me it didn't make much of a difference. I didn't have major GPS issues like some other people but I like to tinker so I did the M8N GPS mod. That thing grabs sat lock lightning fast.

If i were you, I would just get the M8N for $30 and put the broken GPS aside.

That sounds like a fabulous idea! I have had GPS issues and have been looking to this forum for some easy mods as I am not that good with "tinkering". I have already ordered the M8N and am excited to get it. Thank you for your suggestion. :)

The NEO-7N isn't broken, it's a good GPS unit, you're at more risk from a problem with the M8N inside the Solo with its wideband antenna which picks up more noise.

People with long term success with the M8N have it on a mount, so by using one inside a Solo you're taking a risk with it.

The NEO-7N isn't broken, it's a good GPS unit, you're at more risk from a problem with the M8N inside the Solo with its wideband antenna which picks up more noise.

People with long term success with the M8N have it on a mount, so by using one inside a Solo you're taking a risk with it.

I'm not concerned with any issues using the M8N. The 7N is fine but I'm seeing the M8N outperform it.

just a question, would it not be better to have the bare copper away from the circuit board of the gps?

I'm not concerned with any issues using the M8N. The 7N is fine but I'm seeing the M8N outperform it.
The M8N >reports< higher satellites and thus lower P/HDOP, means nowt, the logic putting the satellites together is within the ublox and 3DR's testing found an M8N in practice in a Solo offered in reality little benefit, issues cited included its susceptibility to noise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44