Idea for new Solo accessory

Reaction score
Would it be feasible to make an accessory bay mounted screw-on round or pistol type hand-grip that could be added quickly when a handheld takeoff and landing is the only option? I envisage a grip that hangs down level with the bottom of leg extenders, that would give a nice secure and reasonably centered place to safely grab and hold Solo with one hand for takeoffs and landings.

I have no design capabilities or printing facilities, nor any desire to develop such a product, so anyone can take this forward (and make me a few!).

Certainly possible, and the accessory area has 4 threaded screw holes, so you could get a nice strong mount.

Others would have to verify, but was under the assumption that the flight controller does a final calibration right before arming, and won't arm unless it's completely still. That's how all my pre-throw-mode Pixhawk based quads work. That might be an issue trying to hand launch.

While I've never hand launched the Solo, I have hand landed often. I've found the easiest way is to just bring it down close enough to reach up and grab a leg. Once you have a firm grip on it, it's easy to keep it level and hold the throttle down so Solo automatically shuts the motors off. So as not to stress the leg supporting Solo's entire weight once the motors are off, I just let it fall down to my side.

Yeah I was thinking a plate to hold a screw-on grip like one of the numerous versions of a gopro floaty grip. I might get on ebay and order a bunch of types to see if there's something suitable ready made, but I thought a pistol grip would be best to angle the grip away from the gimbal, yet still be anchored reasonably close to center.

Yeah I have also handgrabbed solo, but it's quite the precision operation, and I'm dreading the day it doesn't shut down and I fumble one handed with the controller and things go pear shaped. So with this type of set up, I reckon you could literally grab the solo and yank it, as opposed to being oh so careful with that fragile leg

In terms of hand launching, I have never done it either, certainly very difficult at the moment I imagine as you would have to grab the belly to have any chance of holding her still for any period. But with a pistol grip centered on the belly I imagine that task would be more feasible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150