I`m still having a lot of video latency!

Reaction score
Hi, i updated all my solo`s stuff, control, drone, app, to the latest fimrware. I have a gopro hero 4 black, i tried in 4k, 1080, 720, 120-60-30fps, and I have a lot of video latency with good enviroment and excellent wi fi conection. Is imposible to have good video monitoring without to replace original hdmi cable?

A few places I fly had lousy video feeds on occasion. I attributed it to a lot of wifi in the area. Almost all of it went away after switching to the FPVLR antennas. If you don't use a wifi detector app, you might look into one. They help with knowing what is in your flying area. Good luck....

I use 2 Alfa antennas, i have 100% wifi conectivity, but i have lack a latency even without flying and recording with the controller and solo at 1 meter of distance, and this image freeze when start a stop recording

today i disconnect the hdmi cable and record a flight without it, just to see if the vibration come from hdmi cable, but i still having the same vibration, i dont know what more to do! I´m starting to hate my solo!

i replaced the original hdmi cable with relish 3d ribbon cable and vibration has gone! but the latency still there. Yesterday i tried to conect direct from the micro hdmi from controller to a tv and is really nice and fast! no latency and delay in the image. Obviusly is a wifi or tablet problem, what can i do? i use ipad mini 2 wifi only. Is better to go android?

I would open a support ticket with 3DR if you haven't already.
Shouldn't be a problem with the iPad mini. I use a mini 3 without any problems.

The majority of latency in the feed is due to the GoPro, so no change of lead or antenna is going to resolve that.

but i connect direct from controller hdmi out to a tv and have no latency. in the ipad 2 mini the latency is up to half second or more

The GoPro has a degree of latency, the measurements have been put on the 3DR User's FB Page before today, both of the GoPro and the link, I've connected a SmallHD AC7 to the GoPro and I can see latency, it's small enough to cope with but it's there. Off the top of my head over 50% of the total latency was the GoPro.

The latency end to end is just below 180ms I believe.

You might want to connect the HMDI on the controller instead to see if the iPad is adding a noticeable extra delay.

That's what I mentioned in the previous post. I already connect an HDMI cable from the control to a TV and latency is minimal, almost imperceptible. Also my gopro direct connect to the TV and the same thing. But when connecting to ipad is too noticeable and annoying, and dangerous enough to fly away only with the preview. To this is added the noise annoying bad TV signal to start and stop recording. I´m triying to get a response from 3dr support ticket but i only receive mails with a copy from my ticket without answers. Maybe i need to try with android?

The latency on the iPad, is going be many factors, from which CPU is in your particular tablet, from the iOS version, to what other software you're running at the same time. I'm using the iPhone 6 and that's perfectly useable, so you might want to compare the specs of your device versus the iPhone and see if there's a lack of CPU power.

"the noise annoying bad TV signal to start and stop recording" That's the GoPro, it stops and starts the HDMI port for recording start/end.

unfortunately I have no tablet or iphone to compare. My iPhone 4S does not support the app. I'm using a mini ipad 2 WiFi only updated with the latest version of the software, and use only for the SOLO, I havent loaded more apps and I have them all off, the 3dr solo app is the only running during fly. Can i change something in the config?

It may have something to do with the antennas? I am using an Alfa APA-M25 dual band 2.4GHz / 5GHz 10dBi directional high gain antenna instead of the original antenna at left and right antenna still the stock antenna

It's not the antenna as the OP has said the feed from the controller is fine via HMDI, so the cause in this case is the iPad.

unfortunately I have no tablet or iphone to compare. My iPhone 4S does not support the app. I'm using a mini ipad 2 WiFi only updated with the latest version of the software, and use only for the SOLO, I havent loaded more apps and I have them all off, the 3dr solo app is the only running during fly. Can i change something in the config?
I just did a quick Google on the iPad 2 and the power is said to be equivalent of the iPhone 5S, I don't know myself how well that copes with the app.

Reactions: Maddog
in your opinion, if I change my ipad, wich one is the better option to buy right now for the solo best performance?

Well HDMI out on the controller is a direct connection to the signal. When the signal is going out via WiFi to a tablet/phone, that is what introduces the latency. You won't be able to get totally away from latency using WiFi. Nature of the beast.

But many people here say that has no latency with your ipad 3, iphone 6 or android. I go to prepare a video to see if what happens to me and seems so annoying, it is normal for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: J R and Ian [P13]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado