I just found something so Awesomely Awesome, I can hardly stand it.

Reaction score
So I have two Solos. I really like them (obviously) and am enjoying the design and getting to know my new tools. The Smart Shots and Tower (with gimbal control) are absolute game changers.

One of the things I didn't like (from the beginning) however is the phone/tablet mount/clasp. It works OK for something small and light like an iPhone, but when you move up to a tablet like my Nexus 7 it starts to get a little shaky and the spring clasp feels under designed. It is the ONE thing I like better on the Phantom. I also have a Nexus 9 that I have made fit, but it feels VERY heavy for the clamp, and has actually fallen out.

I found a partial solution in a handy little clip that a guy named Jake Jones (on The Solo Mod Club) is making that clips on the shaft of the tablet bracket as seen here (not my picture)

Facebook

That helped with the balance. Still.... my tablet(s) were very loose though, and I was constantly worried as I bent over to deal with the Solo, change batteries etc. As I said, I had a tablet come loose.

As I was searching for a remedy, I came across an inexpensive bracket that looked like it would hold just about any tablet securely, and I thought I might be able to modify it, so I sprung for it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K5M6ARA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

This is the AWESOME part...

You know the 4 little hooks on the plate on the back of the clip?

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Well.... This bracket has the EXACT same hooks....
FullSizeRender (3).jpg

And it clips RIGHT on in two seconds....

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

And it cost $13 bucks and shipped for free! (I have Amazom Prime).

Yahhh yahhh.. It is a simple little thing, but I don't care who you are.... THAT is AWESOME!!

Just ordered another one... :)

Last edited:
Great find, it's always a little bit sweeter when you figure out a fix that's not offered by the company, when it actual mounts up direct like this it's hard not to get a bit exited, even if it seems small. In all reality this is a big find though since 3dr still doesn't have a solution, the company should pay ya commission cause you just sold a $hit load of these things Earl.

Even when 3dr does get something together if they do you can bet it's going to be at least 2 or 3 times the price.

It seem pretty sturdy, I bought something similar to try and after opening the jaws a couple times it broke, cheap Chinese junk usually does (cough dji) kidding the cracks are for cooling right?

Nobody get offended it's a joke and I know 3dr uses China too unfortunatley.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Seems like a lot of mounts and maybe even monitors should mount to that gps style ball holder, I didn't think we'd find a direct fit for the mounting holes I figured I'd find one that mounted at the ball maybe.

Seems like a lot of mounts and maybe even monitors should mount to that gps style ball holder, I didn't think we'd find a direct fit for the mounting holes I figured I'd find one that mounted at the ball maybe.
Exactly. If you look at this unit it has the ball also, which is why I bought it. I thought the ball might be to big or to small but I could figure something out. I was floored when that bracket (of all things) snapped right on like it was made for it :) I actually think the ball is the right size also, but didn't get that far...

Reactions: Adimuzio513
So I have two Solos. I really like them (obviously) and am enjoying the design and getting to know my new tools. The Smart Shots and Tower are absolutre game changers.

One of the things I didn't like (from the beginning) however is the phone/tablet mount/clasp. It works OK for something small and light like an iPhone, but when you move up to a tablet like my Nexus 7 it starts to get a little shaky and feels under designed. It is the ONE thing I like better on the Phantom. I also have a Nexus 9 that I have made fit, but it feels VERY heavy for the clamp, and has actually fallen out.

I found a partial solution in a handy little clip that a guy named Jake Jones (on The Solo Mod Club) is making that clips on the shaft of the tablet bracket as seen here (not my picture)

Facebook

That helped with the balance. Still.... my tablet(s) were very loose though, and I was constantly worried as I bent over to deal with the Solo, chnage batteries etc. As I said, I had a tablet come loose.

As I was searching for a remedy, I came across an inexpensive bracket that looked like it would hold just about any tablet securely, and I thought I might be able to modify it, so I sprung for it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K5M6ARA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

View attachment 1312

View attachment 1314

And it clips RIGHT in in two seconds....

View attachment 1316

View attachment 1317

Yahhh yahhh.. It is a simple little thing, but I don't care who you are.... THAT is AWESOME!!

You know the craziest thing is, I have that exact same holder in a box in my basement. This is great. Good looking out Earldgrayjr.

So I have two Solos. I really like them (obviously) and am enjoying the design and getting to know my new tools. The Smart Shots and Tower are absolutre game changers.

One of the things I didn't like (from the beginning) however is the phone/tablet mount/clasp. It works OK for something small and light like an iPhone, but when you move up to a tablet like my Nexus 7 it starts to get a little shaky and feels under designed. It is the ONE thing I like better on the Phantom. I also have a Nexus 9 that I have made fit, but it feels VERY heavy for the clamp, and has actually fallen out.

Facebook

That helped with the balance. Still.... my tablet(s) were very loose though, and I was constantly worried as I bent over to deal with the Solo, chnage batteries etc. As I said, I had a tablet come loose.

View attachment 1312

View attachment 1314

View attachment 1316

View attachment 1317

Thanks Earl! Facebook link didn't work for me- club members only?

Had this thing all this time. Bought this thing a few years ago for iPad two. This thing was made for solo. Ha Haa, Recycle, Repurpose. Earldgrayjr, You're a genius.

Had this thing all this time. Bought this thing a few years ago for iPad two. This thing was made for solo. Ha Haa, Recycle, Repurpose. Earldgrayjr, You're a genius.
And it is MADE for Solo... Have you tried it yet? Do... It fits PERFECTLY......

Great find, it's always a little bit sweeter when you figure out a fix that's not offered by the company, when it actual mounts up direct like this it's hard not to get a bit exited, even if it seems small. In all reality this is a big find though since 3dr still doesn't have a solution, the company should pay ya commission cause you just sold a $hit load of these things Earl.

Even when 3dr does get something together if they do you can bet it's going to be at least 2 or 3 times the price.

It seem pretty sturdy, I bought something similar to try and after opening the jaws a couple times it broke, cheap Chinese junk usually does (cough dji) kidding the cracks are for cooling right?

Nobody get offended it's a joke and I know 3dr uses China too unfortunatley.

Yahh.. With everyone 3D printing parts and starting up web shops to sell them, I thought I could buy these for $13, discard the suction cup, and sell it as an upgrade for $30 :)

Kidding....

Reactions: Maddog
Thanks for finding this. I've been looking at those legs, posts, clamps (whatever to call them) and ball for a while knowing I've seen them before. I knew someone would have them!

Nice find!

Facebook

View attachment 1312

View attachment 1314

View attachment 1316

View attachment 1317

Hi Earldgrayjr, regarding the antena... Could you share what are you using and if it's just change the default antena for this or if is required some changes in others components? Thanks

Hi Earldgrayjr, regarding the antena... Could you share what are you using and if it's just change the default antena for this or if is required some changes in others components? Thanks
No problem. I am using the FPVLR (Version 1) antenna from FPVLR.com. Tony is on the forum here and he makes good stuff. It is a high gain antenna that works by focusing the radio energy more in one direction, as opposed to a halo, which the stock units do. The signal is moved in one general direction (where the coils is are facing) in more or less a cone shape, rather than the donut shape(s) around the two stock antennas. It adds roughly 50% to the distance. There is a version 2 that focuses even more tightly and adds another 20%, but I prefer this one, as I don't really have to point it much, and I like that.

I don't generally go out all that far, but I have tested mine to just over a mile (over a lake). I really got it as insurance, because it also ads penetration strength to punch through trees, walls, etc.

It is a direct replacement. You unscrew the old antennas and screw this in, and connect the top (loosely) with Velcro. Takes about a minute to install. The only downside at all is that with it on it won't fit in my case, so I have to take it off before stowing. Not too bad though. .
I never really had a problem before, but did get an RTH when testing out a half mile when I first got Solo. Since then, my signal is stronger than my bravery to take it out past a mile. I am very satisfied, and have two now, one for each Solo.

Last edited:
Reactions: egodinho and Maddog

Facebook

View attachment 1312

View attachment 1314

View attachment 1316

View attachment 1317

nice find... ordered mine today (no Prime but I got over the $35 hump)
I've been using a Camera Tripod for the iPad air.... gonna dig being mobile for a change.

Facebook

View attachment 1312

View attachment 1314

View attachment 1316

View attachment 1317

Thanks dude. I just ordered two of these puppies for my controllers!!

No problem. I am using the FPVLR (Version 1) antenna from FPVLR.com. Tony is on the forum here and he makes good stuff. It is a high gain antenna that works by focusing the radio energy more in one direction, as opposed to a halo, which the stock units do. The signal iis moved n one general direction (where the coils is are facing) and adds roughly 50% to the distance. There is a version 2 that focuses even more tightly and adds another 20%, but I prefer this one, as I don't really have to pinot it much, and I like that.

I don't generally go out all that far, but I have tested mine to just over a mile (over a lake). I really got it as insurance, because it also ads penetration strength to punch through trees, walls, etc.

It is a direct replacement. You unscrew the old antennas and screw this in, and connect the top (loosely) with Velcro. Takes about a minute to install. The only downside at all is that with it on it won't fit in my case, so I have to take it off before stowing. Not too bad though. .
I Never really had a problem before, but did get an RTH when testing out a half mile when I first got Solo. Since then, my signal is stronger than my bravery, to take it out past a mile. I am very satisfied, and have two now, one for each Solo.

Thanks you very much for the detailed explanation! Wish listed as well :eek:)

So I have two Solos. I really like them (obviously) and am enjoying the design and getting to know my new tools. The Smart Shots and Tower (with gimbal control) are absolute game changers.

One of the things I didn't like (from the beginning) however is the phone/tablet mount/clasp. It works OK for something small and light like an iPhone, but when you move up to a tablet like my Nexus 7 it starts to get a little shaky and the spring clasp feels under designed. It is the ONE thing I like better on the Phantom. I also have a Nexus 9 that I have made fit, but it feels VERY heavy for the clamp, and has actually fallen out.

Facebook

That helped with the balance. Still.... my tablet(s) were very loose though, and I was constantly worried as I bent over to deal with the Solo, change batteries etc. As I said, I had a tablet come loose.

View attachment 1312

View attachment 1314

And it clips RIGHT on in two seconds....

View attachment 1316

View attachment 1317

I want to thank you again for turning me on to this mount. Got two in the mail today and they are everything you said they would be. Awesome!! YOU ROCK on his one dude.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso