How to properly land manually?

I agree to most of comments about manually landing is better for the most part , the autonomous landing is great on decent terrain and decent conditions. P2P is right about gps glitching and other errors the autonomous features cannot as a computer see, so the idea of compensating for those errors is best handled by our eyeballs and fingertips, for myself , I land Auto when conditions are fit, Manual when windy or tight area to land, and when my dog is barking fanatically trying to kill my Solo, I descend to around ten feet, stand directly below my solo press autoland and then catch gently by one leg my solo at head height , hold level and still,till power down and invariably have a safe landing directly and safely into my hand without my Bird getting eaten or my dog getting clipped.

I don't pretend to be an expert but I have over 50 flights and I've always used auto land. I bring it in to around 5 feet and hold land. It's truly weird to me that the same people that go on and on about how awesome the Solo is because of its autonomous features are telling you to not use one of the best ones, in my opinion. Oh and the narrative about bad conditions... I always take off from level ground, so I bring it back to that spot to land. Why not?

I agree to most of comments about manually landing is better for the most part , the autonomous landing is great on decent terrain and decent conditions. P2P is right about gps glitching and other errors the autonomous features cannot as a computer see, so the idea of compensating for those errors is best handled by our eyeballs and fingertips, for myself , I land Auto when conditions are fit, Manual when windy or tight area to land, and when my dog is barking fanatically trying to kill my Solo, I descend to around ten feet, stand directly below my solo press autoland and then catch gently by one leg my solo at head height , hold level and still,till power down and invariably have a safe landing directly and safely into my hand without my Bird getting eaten or my dog getting clipped.

Totally agree with the hand-hold/catch by leg landing as stated above. I use this option frequently, but it seems like it's not suggested on this forum very often. I find it super helpful in many different scenarios i.e. when landing in an imperfect area such as if I physically walked away from my original take-off zone and/or don't want to mess around. Some may say this is possibly more dangerous or whatever but it certainly works for me, and as a bonus it makes you look cool to any spectators ;)

Reactions: Solo Keith
Totally agree with the hand-hold/catch by leg landing as stated above. I use this option frequently, but it seems like it's not suggested on this forum very often. I find it super helpful in many different scenarios i.e. when landing in an imperfect area such as if I physically walked away from my original take-off zone and/or don't want to mess around. Some may say this is possibly more dangerous or whatever but it certainly works for me, and as a bonus it makes you look cool to any spectators ;)
Yes, I only hand catch too; always did with my P2 as well. But I've always felt that grabbing hold of a leg would put too put strain on it; the quad is quite a weight and I'm always scared I'd break the leg off. I just reach up and catch the machine by the belly. Simples. See Colin Guinn's last 3DR video, where he is helping make a movie

Sorry another newbie (to the solo) question.
I'm having some problems when landing in FLY mode..
Twice now it has almost flipped over..
Both times:
in FLY mode I bring it down until it is firmly on the ground.
Left stick all the way down after it has landed I press the FLY button to try and get the props to turn off.
The turn off for about 1/2 second then spin back up!
Then it almost flips over.
At this point I have NEVER left off the left stick it is all the way down.

Freaks me out a bit when it spins back up after stopping.

I'm obviously doing somethng wrong

Maybe need to be completely in manual no GPS mode to land manually.

I've done this before I don;t know why all of a sudden I'm having a problem with it spinning back up after
They turn off..

I'll try and get a video of it happening

Do NOT press the Fly button or any other buttons after landing. Once touched down, hold the left stick all the way straight down until the motors shut off. That's it, no more, no less.

Here's a brief video demonstrating:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OK I feel like a total derp!!
And I have read the manual several times.
But STILL somehow missed that.
I had been doing it for a long time the wrong way and just got stuck on that.
Today I finally got to try and do it the right way.
Just hold the throttle stick down until the motors shut off.
Simply I just never realized that's how it works.

All good now and I won't have any more problems with that!

Thanks.

I've only had about 20 flights so far, but I just bring the Solo down to about 4 or 5 feet off the ground and hold the "Fly" button ... an indicator on the screen lets me know it's landing and it slowly lands and the props shut down ... no left stick, etc, just let it land on its on and the props turn off. The Solo itself doesn't power off, just the props. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso