How to keep battery charged

Reaction score
Hi,
I am not using my drone very often so the battery drains a bit over some time. I was wondering is there any way to keep it charged for longer time because I don't want it to die completely?
Thank you

It won't die completely..these smart batteries are programmed to discharge to what is called a storage charge after about two weeks is what I've found. That keeps LiPo cells viable for a longer period. DJI batteries do the exact same thing. Storage charge is typically 3.85v per cell.

Reactions: Lukas
Hi,
I am not using my drone very often so the battery drains a bit over some time. I was wondering is there any way to keep it charged for longer time because I don't want it to die completely?
Thank you
I find it easier to just keep the batteries charged to 50-60%. BigTulsa is right about the batteries draining on their own. They will slowly discharge themselves to about the 50% level. Just be sure to check them every so often if you are storing them for a long period of time. Once you see them below 50%, just charge them to that level, and you should be fine. BTW, welcome to the forum...:)

It won't die completely..these smart batteries are programmed to discharge to what is called a storage charge after about two weeks is what I've found. That keeps LiPo cells viable for a longer period. DJI batteries do the exact same thing. Storage charge is typically 3.85v per cell.
So they will discharge to the specific level and they will stop there, so I should worry about leaving them for months untouched?

So they will discharge to the specific level and they will stop there, so I should worry about leaving them for months untouched?
They should discharge to between 50 and 60 percent and stop. There might be residual discharge as part of the chemical process but lipos are best stored for long periods at that percentage or the internal resistance will go up and lead to premature battery failures.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Don't worry about it. If it could damage the battery or discharge too low, how could they sit on retailer/wholesaler shelves? They are not vegetables.:)

Reactions: Chuck
Yep. Be thankful they do this. Us DIYers either need to use our batteries a lot or if during the winter we need to store them make sure we discharge them enough to store. If I'm going to not be using mine for more than about two weeks or more I'll make sure mine are at about 3.8 or 3.85v per cell.

you actually do not want your batteries to stay charged. its bad for them, that is one thing wrong with the entire RTF drone market. No matter how smart you make it, people still need to understand how things work.
Charging a fully charged LIPO for long periods of time will kill them or worse.

Properly Caring for Your Lipo Battery

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig