How many flights before controller dies?

Learned my lesson in 1992 when my R/C plane started bucking around at a decent altitude. Looked down and saw my charge level on my controller was in the red. It finally got back into range above me, so I cut the power and did tight, descending circles to keep the range close. Once I got low enough to go for the landing, I instinctively started my downwind leg to turn upwind for landing. Control was lost on said downwind leg, and it (very luckily) ditched BETWEEN two parked cars. The wing paint left a smudge on one of them that came off with a little spit and a rub of my thumb. Dodged a big bullet and added "Controller Battery Level - FULL" to my pre-flight checklist. Don't even experiment with this one...

Anyone ever max out the controller time?
Hey Ryan,
I got the extended controller battery from 3DR a while back. It can go a long time between flights. Several hours if I remember correctly. I check it before each trip out, but haven't got it below 1/2 yet.

Hey Ryan,
I got the extended controller battery from 3DR a while back. It can go a long time between flights. Several hours if I remember correctly. I check it before each trip out, but haven't got it below 1/2 yet.
Awesome! I didn't even know there's an extended battery pack.

If controller dies, it should just RTH right?

Awesome! I didn't even know there's an extended battery pack.

If controller dies, it should just RTH right?

That's what they claim, although I have to admit I'm scared as hell about that!

A few days ago, I flew my Solo just over a building that I was standing behind. Once it got to the other side I got the message that the communication was lost. I immediately panicked and thought it was going to crash, so I ran like crazy around to the side of the building, where it restored communication. Thing is...Solo was just hovering...it was not in the process of RTH.

This whole scenario now also got me too scared to fly the Solo out of my sight. I mean...if one small building blocked communication between the controller and Solo...what happens if I really start to venture out with it? I have to regain some confidence in the range abilities.

There is a delay betweeen loss of signal and RTH. One mistake people make aound buildings is not getting above EVERYTHING. All it takes is one antenna on top of a building and you are toast

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44