How long will 3DR be around for?

How long will 3DR be around for?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Now that the truth is out from that infamous Forbes piece giving us the sales numbers and # of Solos produced, let's play a prediction game.

They'll be around for as long as the domain name is paid for :p

But seriously, you'd have to define "be around". In what form?

Might be just me, but got sick of this game last year when Craig*** was the game master..But good luck with it anyway.

^did he ever have an account on here? I just remember he was trolling RCG so hard.

Now what's brought to light means we can better accurate access the company's situation.

They'll be around for as long as the domain name is paid for :p

But seriously, you'd have to define "be around". In what form?
bankruptcy
close shop
donedees

too bad i screwed up the last vote option and can't edit it...i meant to say 3DR will stick around for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: FinniKris
It's tempting to say '3DR' (in the widest sense) will be around as long as people fly and maintain Solo - I'm not planning to end date mine any time soon. May have to stock up a few spares as they wind down support - that's actually getting trickier already here in the UK to be honest. I see Solo doing what I want it to do for several years yet - and Solex will certainly help with that of course.

If the Forbes article is to be believed, 100K units were manufactured and will eventually be in service. That establishes at least some size market for a while until attrition and/or obsolescence decimates it. However if manufacturing continues in some form, the platform might attain critical mass to gain long (or at least longer) term survival. This is probably TBD.

Well 3DR might be trying to go back to their roots DIY on top of their software Site Scan. They just put out their Pixhawk Mini and accessories. Looks similar to the HobbyKing "PixFalcon" but more expensive. Really didn't have much details on it. Not sure what the differences are if any.

Reactions: SirCrashAlot
Well 3DR might be trying to go back to their roots DIY on top of their software Site Scan. They just put out their Pixhawk Mini and accessories. Looks similar to the HobbyKing "PixFalcon" but more expensive. Really didn't have much details on it. Not sure what the differences are if any.

Keeping my fingers crossed, not much else to do...

Well we have still a good bird and a one year warranty. With other manufactures, and forums/mod clubs more capabilities. I already updated the GPS and the shield. A GPS lock ready to fly in a few seconds with 7-9 SATS and that was inside in my office. Imagine outside.

Reactions: FinniKris
awesome
is it actually more accurate though? Did you do hover/landing tests before and afteR?
i don't have more money to dump into the GPS

The Solo will fall off quietly after the last of the fire sales which could be on black friday or after the holidays. Then be overshadowed by the Phantom 5 and whatever other smart drone hits the market within the next few years.

I plan to fly mine till she sputters her last breath.

That still maybe a long time. I believe if no manufacture picks it up from 3DR it will fall in the DIY and MOD class. There are many ingenuous people out there that can take bailing wire, and super glue and come up with some amazing products.

awesome
is it actually more accurate though? Did you do hover/landing tests before and afteR?
i don't have more money to dump into the GPS

The GPS shield V2 from 3DR is $30... $15 if you search out the coupon code. I ordered one two weeks ago and it arrived in Canada by letter mail within 6 days. Not a huge money drop at all.

Even with all the doom and gloom and maybe because of it I picked up a Solo package. Have already done the GPS upgrade and added the V2 shield. I love that 3DR put the source code up on GitHub, knowing that people much smarter for me will write for it for years to come. She flys well with the new GPS, and I needed something productive to do with my GoPro.

I have limited use on your phone, can someone link me on hire to upgrade the gps?

It's tempting to say '3DR' (in the widest sense) will be around as long as people fly and maintain Solo - I'm not planning to end date mine any time soon. May have to stock up a few spares as they wind down support - that's actually getting trickier already here in the UK to be honest. I see Solo doing what I want it to do for several years yet - and Solex will certainly help with that of course.

Mrobotics.io, the folks that sell the aftermarket gps are now an official repair depot. Though under a different name. So there will be support if needed.

Reactions: gnomad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso