how far do you fly / can fly / want to fly?

Reaction score
I am new to this

I plan to fly often out doors in nature ...

so I guess I could use the range ... BUT do you really want to fly it that far away?

does that really open up a lot more?
can you really see it from there? to control it?
or get OK reception?

there is a limited charge on it ... say 20 minutes (few extra just in case)
so at say 40MPH - in 10 minutes would be be 6.6 miles away before I need to return

hmm perhaps it's worth it?

because I was going to get the 3DR Solo - it has a range of "half a mile"
- https://news.3dr.com/solo-specs-just-the-facts-14480cb55722#.opyft2xfm
I guess this is quoted range for open unobstructed outdoors - can't hope for more?

I am thinking of getting a Mavic
Max Transmission Distance FCC Compliant: 4.3 mi (7 km);
Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Phantom 3 Standard
What is the range on my Phantom 3 Standard?
The signal transmission distance will vary depending on environmental conditions and local regulations, but the Phantom 3 Standard can reach distances of up to 0.5 miles (1 kilometer) away from the pilot.
- Phantom 3 Standard - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO - DJI

Phantom 3 Pro
Max Transmission Distance Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when FCC compliant
- Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI

please advise - I am all ears ...

thank you

For US only.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf
  • Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS. Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the visual observer.
  • At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.

Are you serious?
You should always be flying line of sight - visual contact at all times. Very rarely it can be out if sight, such as circumnavigating a building (dangerous in itself).
Listed range means almost nothing to the average user. It's only if you plan on extensive FPV (first person view) flying you might get that far away, and even then you're violating the rules.
Granted, most of us like having all the range we can get... but that doesn't mean that every time we take out our machines we send them as far away as possible.
I'm not sure you really know what this is all about.

Well now that you have the 'Captain Regulations' responses... I'm finding LOS to be quite ok for my applications... even though I am often flying well away from built up areas, I prefer to keep the solo in sight (in case of problems flyaway etc). Reg's here in Aus are very similar in regard to LOS as well.

There is however LOS, and LOS that allows you to still determine the orientation of the bird without FPV assitance... which I find even at modest distance is difficult.

Reality is with all the birds you've mentioned above, there's quite simple ways to boost the range remaining within FCC limits, and there's no harm in doing that to sure up the wireless signal... even for flying at close range.

Kids say no to drugs... and keep your drone in LOS :D

This is a serious matter, people.
I notice that everyone in this thread is a newbie to the forum, with 1, 2, and 7 posts. Know one another?
With the absolute deluge of new drone users - I don't use the term pilot since it takes more to fly responsibly than the ability to press a few buttons - we've got to begin self-policing to a far greater degree than ever before, The first steps to full-blown regulation have already been implemented, and if we don't do everything possible to keep idiots from breaking the rules - and laws - like they have been lately, we're gonna be in heap of hurt.
If you intend to buy a drone and immediately throw it into the air with absolutely no thought whatsoever as to the consequences - you're putting a four pound weight into the sky - you've got no business being within ten miles of a controller.

Reactions: Chuck and SARDG
of course... # posts in this microcosm must equal experience! *sigh*

Perhaps the OP is planning on getting a remote operators license (or what ever the equivalent is in his/her area), and just wants advise on bird choices

Not everyone who asks a question deserved to be jumped on [ADMIN EDIT].

Last edited by a moderator:
of course... # posts in this microcosm must equal experience! *sigh*

Perhaps the OP is planning on getting a remote operators license (or what ever the equivalent is in his/her area), and just wants advise on bird choices

Not everyone who asks a question deserved to be jumped on, or plans on f**king up your hobby.
I rest my case.

Reactions: SARDG
I am new to this

I plan to fly often out doors in nature ...

so I guess I could use the range ... BUT do you really want to fly it that far away?

does that really open up a lot more?
can you really see it from there? to control it?
or get OK reception?

there is a limited charge on it ... say 20 minutes (few extra just in case)
so at say 40MPH - in 10 minutes would be be 6.6 miles away before I need to return

hmm perhaps it's worth it?

because I was going to get the 3DR Solo - it has a range of "half a mile"
- https://news.3dr.com/solo-specs-just-the-facts-14480cb55722#.opyft2xfm
I guess this is quoted range for open unobstructed outdoors - can't hope for more?

I am thinking of getting a Mavic

Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Phantom 3 Standard

- Phantom 3 Standard - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO - DJI

Phantom 3 Pro

- Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI

please advise - I am all ears ...

thank you
With all drones, flying at 40 MPH or so will drain your battery quickly. You won't make it 6 miles because most can't maintain a connection between controller and drone that far. When connection is lost the drone is programmed to return home.

Advertised battery duration is always a lie. Solo with a gimbal will barely make 15 minutes. Lipo batteries discharge more rapidly as they use their charge. (Going from 100% to 90% might take 5 minutes. Going from 30% to 20% might take 1 minute. I estimated the times and numbers, but you should get the idea.)

Also advertised duration is based on putting around maybe 10 MPH, level flight, no wind, expert pilot, etc.

With the Solo some people get more than 1/2 mile range with stock antenna. Aftermarket antennas can boost that to around 1.5 miles or so.

Personally I find I lose sight of Solo at about 500'. Depends on your eyesight.

Reactions: Chuck
I can barely see mine at 2000 feet.
way further than I ever actually shoot
flying beyond LOS is not only illegal but unless you are flying something on an autonomous mission with the ability to loose tx connection and return home, good chance a loss of GPS will guarantee trouble at some point
for the people thumbing their nose at regulations and making cute comments about it, thank you. You are the reason we have regulations

Reactions: Chuck
I dont see anyone thumbing noses... but I see presumption and judgement that the OP is, and intends to do the wrong thing.

All I saw was some genuine questions... and again... the OP didnt state where he/she is, so blanket statements about legality without determining that is hardly useful. A simple "you might wanna check with your local regulator about restrictions at that range" might be appropriate.

I'm well aware of my obligations under the ReOC issued to me in Australia, and frankly I have no comment on, nor care what they are under FAA or other countries.

Lighten up guys

I've had mine ~3000' but at that range it's hardly even a spec on the horizon. I'll probably never do that again. No connectivity issues with aftermarket antennas but it was in the country with very little 2.4GHz traffic. Scary though and not recommended.

There is a youtube video using tower to take one 6.2 miles:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone intends to be deliberately caustic here (it certainly isn't my intention). But some of us have been flying for a long, long time before these new-fangled drone things came along, in my case almost 40 years. From single channel planes with floppy rudder actuators - that's a long way.
Then - boom! - here come modern drones and a new attitude. We went from having absolutely no regulation to sweeping reforms requiring operators register with the government no matter if they're flying an actual drone or not. Yep... all those planes I flew as a kid without a single mishap would now require a FAA number scrawled somewhere on their airframe, something I've very hesitantly done with my current planes.
The original poster may intend to fly perfectly competently and legally.
However, the content of his post makes it clear he's unfamiliar with their operation and acceptable use. In such a case it seems obvious that, before even getting down to the basics of machine choice, a good introduction to legal use is in order.

Discussion is welcome but keep it respectful. No need to get so heated.

We can only hope everyone follows the rules or guidelines for the location they live in. Unfortunately there is always gonna be someone who doesn't.

Now, lets get back onto topic. If @ingearx is looking at DJI quads and not a 3DR lets move this to off topic. And have you seen this yet? --> DJI Phantom Drone Forum

I am simply curious ...

no harm done ...

The original poster may intend to fly perfectly competently and legally.
However, the content of his post makes it clear he's unfamiliar with their operation and acceptable use. In such a case it seems obvious that, before even getting down to the basics of machine choice, a good introduction to legal use is in order.
dear Marich
I understand you are bitter and upset all these new pilots are coming to share the sky with you - welcome to life :)

made possible by advancements in technology

these things brought you better and better valued drones ... or did you want to keep using RC from 80s?

regardless governments have a way of regulating things - and they should even if there were no accidents

if there weren't any accidents on a highway - there shouldn't be any rules?

also

>content of his post makes it clear he's unfamiliar with their operation and acceptable use

perhaps I watched hours of youtube on safe operations
perhaps I have a remote operators license
perhaps I am a retired military pilot or commercial airlines with dozens of thousands of hours

please do not hijack a thread

please do not be so quick to judge people
it will hep you in life

now for one I will be flying in SA - South America
in particular in Patagonia ... with 1.9 per km2 density if that tells you anything :)

now I am very conscious about people's safety

do onto others as you would have done on to you ...

OK with all that said

I am curious if there it is a point to getting a longer range - if I plan to film beautiful nature...

like the battery calculations were helpful
and the Solo antenna extension tip

thank you

Reactions: Maddog
I am simply curious ...

no harm done ...

dear Marich
I understand you are bitter and upset all these new pilots are coming to share the sky with you - welcome to life :)

made possible by advancements in technology

these things brought you better and better valued drones ... or did you want to keep using RC from 80s?

regardless governments have a way of regulating things - and they should even if there were no accidents

if there weren't any accidents on a highway - there shouldn't be any rules?

also

>content of his post makes it clear he's unfamiliar with their operation and acceptable use

perhaps I watched hours of youtube on safe operations
perhaps I have a remote operators license
perhaps I am a retired military pilot or commercial airlines with dozens of thousands of hours

please do not hijack a thread

please do not be so quick to judge people
it will hep you in life

now for one I will be flying in SA - South America
in particular in Patagonia ... with 1.9 per km2 density if that tells you anything :)

now I am very conscious about people's safety

do onto others as you would have done on to you ...

OK with all that said

I am curious if there it is a point to getting a longer range - if I plan to film beautiful nature...

like the battery calculations were helpful
and the Solo antenna extension tip

thank you

the law in chile says that the maximum distance is 500m, your drone has to have a parachute and must be registrated

Well flying in nature i will go from mtn top on out over a mile, but I do maintain visual by having a xenon beacon to help see it.

this thread is proof that we cannot police ourselves.
and why regulations have to be in place.

Not a fan of government regulations, but people will ignore the fact that these toys can injure people and damage property.
And a large number of people will put others at risk, just because they think they should be able to.

If you seriously want to fly far you need to fly with a parachute, in nature away from people, and with visual contact. And I would suggest that you use a xenon beacon and Solex with Killswitch enabled. If for whatever reason manned aircraft enter the area you should be inclined to hit killswitch and ditch your drone versus putting human life at risk.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986