How far can solo follow me?

Reaction score
I intend to island hop and I want to know if solo can follow me across. It's just 5 minutes by speedboat.

No reason why not - except the very concept would make me so nervous I'd end up turning the boat into a submarine.

I viewed the map in tower and set the dock as waypoint 1 and the beach as waypoint 2.
The distancd recorded was 1.6 miles

Reactions: RolandS888
I viewed the map in tower and set the dock as waypoint 1 and the beach as waypoint 2.
The distancd recorded was 1.6 miles

So did the solo follow you, or did you set up waypoints and drove the boat the same route the solo was flying?

Didn't have the guts to see if my solo can cross the 1.2 mile gap or become a submarine.

Logic tells me he should be able to make it across. I never tired the follow function yet. It's quite risky to set up a follow me to cross a windy body of water.

Reactions: the_other_eyeball
Here is the gap

Attachments

• 20151119_132518.jpg
    20151119_132518.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
Here is the gap

Striker,

I don't know about "follow-me", I don't use it but that looks like a very doable Tower run. I've done 3 mile Tower runs with more than 30% battery left after landing. Of course there are many variables to consider.

I do a lot of flying over water and have done a couple of 3 mile run over water with my Solo as well. I don't feel real comfortable with anything longer yet, I'm still getting comfortable with the battery's ability and the bird itself but I've done 5+ mile waypoint runs with my "white" ones. I'm not doing a comparison, just letting you know that I've done dozens of pretty long waypoint runs. So far, very successfully.

The most important thing that I had to overcome is the real possibility that I may not see my bird again. Once you get past that barrier, you're go to go! I'd do the one in the picture in a minute if the conditions were favorable.

Jerry

Reactions: STRIKER
Might try controlled flight with the Tx first time until you're comfortable, then you can run a Follow Me with your finger on the Fly button in case anything gets sketchy.

I've flown a few miles over shallow water using Tx, with land nearby, to shoot fireworks or get this video. (That got picked up by The Weather Channel ;) )

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is the gap

Here's a couple of screen records. The first one is a 1-2 miles (I'd have to look it up). The second one is a 3 mile run that went bad on me due to loss of signal. No panic, RTL initiated, bird did what it was supposed to do, took control back when I got signal back. You'll see me flipping in and out of apps making sure everything is still functional and connected.

Jerry

Wow thanks for the tips and inspiring vids. I feel more comfortabke doing it. I think i will start experimenting on this feature more.

Much appreciated .

Reactions: Killboy
The Solo should do 1.6 miles easily.

To test the range of my little 250, I set up a big oval at the local fairgrounds and just had it loop it over and over. I multiplied the length of a single lap by the number of laps it flew before initiating a low battery RTL, and it did 5.6 miles. Now this was a small, light quad compared to the Solo, but it also has a comparatively small battery. I was surprised it went that far.

I intend to test the Solo similarly at some point, but unless your battery is hosed, there's no way it won't do 1.6 miles.

I intend to island hop and I want to know if solo can follow me across. It's just 5 minutes by speedboat.
Striker, just make sure you know how to cancel the fail safe RTH so that you bird is not flying back across the channel while you are still on or near the island. The distance looking at your picture looks very doable but always plan for the wors and maybe make sure that you first flight is in low wind conditions. Also consider using Tower so that you can use the "return to me" feature that give you a dynamic landing target based on you location when RTH is activated.

Here's a couple of screen records. The first one is a 1-2 miles (I'd have to look it up). The second one is a 3 mile run that went bad on me due to loss of signal. No panic, RTL initiated, bird did what it was supposed to do, took control back when I got signal back. You'll see me flipping in and out of apps making sure everything is still functional and connected.

Jerry

Good stuff Jerry- thanks for sharing!
What kind of tablet are you using?

I'm poor so I'm looking at the Nexus 7 on Amazon for $129.o_O

Dog,

Yeah, they're spendy. I'm not even sure they're still making them. I love it though, it works well with all my birds and all my flight apps. Went through 4 other pads before I bit the bullet. Been using it for 5-6 months now without issue.

Jerry

Reactions: Maddog
Dog,

Yeah, they're spendy. I'm not even sure they're still making them. I love it though, it works well with all my birds and all my flight apps. Went through 4 other pads before I bit the bullet. Been using it for 5-6 months now without issue.

Jerry

What other tablets have you been using and what sets the shield apart? I am currently running a Nexus 7 but if I can get a better tablet I will repurpose this as a 7" remote for my tv and all my toys at home.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44