High KP index today Warning! Gulf Coast area...

I never worried about it myself until a day over the summer when both my birds were acting crazy and the index was I believe a 7. It was in my yard were I always fly and that was the only variable. Since then I'm going the rather safe then sorry route, just in case. It's the only time in years my p2 ever tweaked out like this anyway, solo did the same thing as well. Wild drifting and seemed they both had a mind of their own. I can't say that was it for sure, but I can't explain it at all otherwise.

That said I'm not sure of the location, but I just had a few perfect flights testing cc more extensively and I'm back to being nearly as excited as I was at release. Forgot to check and hadn't seen this though.

You can do want ever you want, but I wouldn't be recommending anyone to fly at a high index.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Ever hear of someone having an issue? No? Me neither. It would need to be so high that you would have issue with other electronics if you were having trouble with your UAV. I purposely flew last year when it was 7 or 8 with no problems at all. I suppose it could cause issues, but I have yet to see it. Can't hurt to be aware of it when your planning to fly.

Reactions: dirkclod
6 KP is @ the high end of a moderate storm @ 7 KP, it's a ranging storm on the Sun's surface.
Everyone near 29º 45' N, 95º 21' W
I never worried about it myself until a day over the summer when both my birds were acting crazy and the index was I believe a 7. It was in my yard were I always fly and that was the only variable. Since then I'm going the rather safe then sorry route, just in case. It's the only time in years my p2 ever tweaked out like this anyway, solo did the same thing as well. Wild drifting and seemed they both had a mind of their own. I can't say that was it for sure, but I can't explain it at all otherwise.

That said I'm not sure of the location, but I just had a few perfect flights testing cc more extensively and I'm back to being nearly as excited as I was at release. Forgot to check and hadn't seen this though.
I agree, better safe then sorry, cause If/when the KP interrupts communication satellites, GPS as well, then your Solo will not know where to RTH is at. If it's far away, them.....bad news.
It may just be a temporary interruption, But like you said, "Better safe then sorry"

Why would you risk it?
If I had a once in a lifetime shot to get I might, but if the index is high and I can wait why not?

they don't monitor and post this for the heck of it

Reactions: SteveReno
Why would you risk it?
If I had a once in a lifetime shot to get I might, but if the index is high and I can wait why not?

they don't monitor and post this for the heck of it
Normally, up to a 7 KP, just give it a little time before flying. but if your area it hit with 8 or above is will take days before dropping to a safer level. .

Last edited:
Reactions: pyrate
Personally, never looked at it and wouldn't worry about it. If you are even a moderately competent pilot and flying LOS, it's just like any other situation; see your craft acting in any way unexpected, press the Manual button to bring it home and check it over. No reason to be grounded. Unless I'm doing a Smart Shot, I'm in manual anyway. Just my opinion. YMMV

I saw "Gulf Coast" and I thought I'd look over this thread. The top Gulf Coast environmental issues affecting Solo flying, that I've experienced living in Galveston County, TX are:
1) Wind (Texas Gulf Coast especially near Corpus Christi is about the windiest place in the US in the spring...all that warm air rushing inland)
2) Hot sunlight - really heats up my black bodied 3DR Iris+ to the point that I get GPS glitching. When its cold, no glitches at all. Just cant wait to see what the sun does to my Solo.
3) Tall trees - unless you are on the coast, and upto about 5 miles inland, there are tall trees to contend with when surveying client property. We are talking 110 foot loblolly pine trees btw.
4) High dew points in summer. Sure makes dust stick everywhere inside my Iris.

So, space weather affects GPS RF propagation more than wind affects my ability to fly safely?

Hi Dave, @Dave Folts
All those pit falls exist for me "Corpus Christi", except the trees.
high winds 15 to 45 Mph Most of the time, Humidity, On a clear day about 70%. temps, Hot as hell,

I must have put over 50 hours flight time & with all these bad elements & my little Solo does GREAT.

Now, to the KP index, Im new to depending on GPS for High accuracy "GPS for navigation in car" But when NASA States "May lose GPS for hours" that's good enough for me.
I can see, feel & touch all these other bad thing's Heat, Humidity & wind, but losing GPS over the ocean "75% of my flight time" well... I'm going to go inside and get a cold one & relax for that day.

Just me & my thinking

Hi Dave, @Dave Folts
All those pit falls exist for me "Corpus Christi", except the trees.
high winds 15 to 45 Mph Most of the time, Humidity, On a clear day about 70%. temps, Hot as hell,

I must have put over 50 hours flight time & with all these bad elements & my little Solo does GREAT.

Now, to the KP index, Im new to depending on GPS for High accuracy "GPS for navigation in car" But when NASA States "May lose GPS for hours" that's good enough for me.
I can see, feel & touch all these other bad thing's Heat, Humidity & wind, but losing GPS over the ocean "75% of my flight time" well... I'm going to go inside and get a cold one & relax for that day.

Just me & my thinking
Hey Steve, Yeah, I've lived in similar areas and the humidity and heat was a real bear. Couldn't get used to it. If you are just going out to fly for some fun, why not just fly in manual on those days?

After spending years in the GPS program and as well, including accuracy and RF frequency predicts in Aerospace Tasking Orders, I cant really see how that index is that impactual. We are dropping ordnance daily depending on that system and last I looked, still getting the job done...politically correctly too.
So I'll be mindful of it. I do note some parameters in the Solo and Iris ArduPilot load that handle GPS glitches. Its a fairly slick system these 3DR guys have built.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks