Here We Go..!!!

I was curious how they'd handle heli pads for buildings. I want to do a couple quick aerials of my business. No higher then 150 feet. But that b4ufly app showed me I have 6 heli pads within 2 miles of me. I wonder who I'd need to contact to get permission? Each individual hospital? Or the police department? Of the air traffic controllers at the major airport 10 miles away?

FDSO (Flight District Standards Office). Call them and tell them the time, area, and expected altitude you will be flying. They will use the proper channels to alert the area towers/personnel via a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen). One problem: most FDSOs are only open during normal business week hours, so if you want to do the flight on a weekend, make sure you contact them the week prior.

Interesting for a couple of reasons:

When I was flying in the 90's, helipads were not considered airports and had no official flight restrictions.

Tons of case law on this but courts have routinely ruled that only the federal government can make and enforce airspace restrictions. Cases in city and state courts are almost always tossed out for this reason. In this case though, the city ordinance mirrors the federal statute. It is neither more restrictive nor more lenient which is usually what results in problems with local ordinances. (Like stating you can't fly over private property lower than 500 ft., for example).

If convicted, I think it will be appealed and be reversed. Just my opinion, but I believe that even in this instance the FAA will assert that only they have the authority to enforce this and the courts will agree.

Should be interesting to follow...;)

So far, notification in my area of Massachusetts has been great. I have statements from all the local pilots offices in heliports close to me that says no need to call ahead before flight if below 300' daytime and 500' nighttime. Easy peasy, knock on wood.

Sure beats a lawsuit...or a collision.

I was the first person to call these places and approach them. They were appreciative and one hospital citied a case where there was a proximity issue with a camera quad they caught visually in while in flight. It was a local hospital Life Flight pilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
forgive my ignorance, but the article said "he was also charged with flying at night." Since when is flying at night illegal?

forgive my ignorance, but the article said "he was also charged with flying at night." Since when is flying at night illegal?
I can't point you to the specific federal statute, but I have read it is illegal to fly drones at night.

Hopefully someone can find it.

If you do some research I think you will find that it's illegal to fly at night in a lot of country's or States depending on where you live!
You should get familiar with the Drone laws where you are so you will know what you can Do..and Not do in your surrounding !

Just saying :)

Cheers

The FAA drone regulations specify no flying after sundown. Since the city laws mirror the FAA laws, they charged him with flying at night.

I'm willing to bet nothing happens to them. It wouldn't surprise me they even knew anything about drone laws. Bet more of these cases will get thrown out with only court costs as the fine.

Reactions: Del
Why does the FAA registration card not list flying at night as one of the prohibited activities?

If you do some research I think you will find that it's illegal to fly at night in a lot of country's or States depending on where you live!
You should get familiar with the Drone laws where you are so you will know what you can Do..and Not do in your surrounding !

Just saying :)

Cheers

I am quite familiar with UAS laws in my area, thanks. My point is that I have not seen any official publication (FAA or otherwise) that states no night flying. Line of sight, yes, but I can see the lights of my drone much better at night than I can in the day, so that rule doesn't apply here. Please point me to said rule or law where it states that night flights are illegal.

Just saying.

I am quite familiar with UAS laws in my area, thanks. My point is that I have not seen any official publication (FAA or otherwise) that states no night flying. Line of sight, yes, but I can see the lights of my drone much better at night than I can in the day, so that rule doesn't apply here. Please point me to said rule or law where it states that night flights are illegal.

Just saying.

Here it is, bullet #5 (although I believe these are just proposed rules at this point)

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf

Here it is, bullet #5 (although I believe these are just proposed rules at this point)

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf
I live in Canada..and we're not alowed to fly at night.!
I guess we have different laws when you compair them to the US...
But I know Iv read it somewhere els that they don't recommend flying at night in any country for Safty reasons!
So if it's only a proposal for now for the US..I would imagine it won't be long before they make it law sooner then later..!

Drone Law: Canada vs. USA - Trackimo - Tracking Device

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44