HDMI on the controller

Reaction score
I got a micro-monitor mounted on my glasses that I'd like to hook up to the controller HDMI port for possible safer LoS flying

Is there a process with using this port? Should everything be ready to go before I plugged it in and power it on or have the monitor ready to go before I power on everything?

Power just the controller on first?

I personally haven't been able to find a consistent way to do it and get it working so wondering how people use this port. A lot of time it just shows the 3DR logo...I may need to change modes or start recording just to get it going.

Thanks.

i'm not sure if it depends on the monitor connected, but it should work if the monitor is connected and powered on before turning on the controller. i have blackpearl and smallhd AC7 and they work fine when doing it this way.

Ditto here; small HD AC7 works off hdmi; monitor on first, then controller, then Solo.

For a source to generate HDMI it requests a EDID (Extended Display Information Data) file from the monitor and then generates a appropriate video signal, this means the display's circuitry must be powered for the source to negotiate before generating output.

A mains powered source will almost always provide this power via the HDMI connector so that the order of powering does not matter, however this is not the case with most battery powered devices (such as the transmitter)

Generally battery powered sources do not provide this voltage (+18v) to conserve battery life and to reduce the need for DC voltage conversion.

So out in the field always power the display before connecting.

Yikes, A bit pricy for me. Any less expensive displays?

the smallhd ac7 is a professional field monitor. it includes things like focus peaking, false color, sdi output, etc. hence the price. it is overkill for fpv.

the black pearl is a very nice monitor for fpv. it can be had in the rcg classifieds or ebay for about $100. if you don't need the built-in video receiver there are cheaper standard lcd monitors as well.

vufine...only used it once. it did not work well in bright sunlight.
will test again...probably going back.

For a source to generate HDMI it requests a EDID (Extended Display Information Data) file from the monitor and then generates a appropriate video signal, this means the display's circuitry must be powered for the source to negotiate before generating output.

A mains powered source will almost always provide this power via the HDMI connector so that the order of powering does not matter, however this is not the case with most battery powered devices (such as the transmitter)

Generally battery powered sources do not provide this voltage (+18v) to conserve battery life and to reduce the need for DC voltage conversion.

So out in the field always power the display before connecting.
appreciate the scientific explanation!

I am attempting to connect my solo controller thru the mini HDMI to a RGB input on a mixer to broadcast to and large Jumbotron LED at a stadium, anyone ever done this?

I'd originally written it would be inconceivable for a jumbotron to accept component for HD, but...then I found this:
upload_2016-5-21_21-24-19.png

I'd go HDMI to SDI if you CAN, then HDMI to component.Forget composite, even though that adapter offers it.
Anything but direct HDMI or SDI is gonna look weak, but know that you cannot transport component further than 10-12' without significant loss of quality.

Do you have the model number of the mixer ? There are multiple forms of RGB video, both SMPTE (Component formed) and VESA (Computer formed) can be called RGB however they are NOT cross compatible without conversion. Without the input specification it is nearly impossible to answer your question accurately.

In addition you will need to provide some other information :

How far will you be from the mixers input - This is probably the most critical question as it will effect the transport method.
What's your budget ? - I work for a manufacturer and we can do 30Km on fibre @4K/60 with less than 2ms latency if you've got the cash.....
How many transmitters are you trying to hook up ? just yours or multiple peoples through a track side video switch ?
Have you checked with the team at the stadium ? They probably have a solution you can use, a camera on the field is a pretty common request........

Just a quick note on some comments above :
RGB/Component will easily move 40-60m on good co-ax (PSF 1/3 or equivalent) however this can be limited by the conversion source quality... I've moved this 120m + with a peaking line driver...
HDMI will move 23m on a good quality lead and 60m with some regenerator circuitry (The 60m option will be expensive though, It's designed for outside broadcast/concerts etc)
You could move the HDMI 100m with around 4ms latency on twisted pair / HDBT type extenders without needing to convert.
SDI is a transmission method FOR component video and is designed to go 100m on a single co-ax, please bear in mind not all SDI is equal you will need 2.9Gb of bandwith and therefore need to be at the 3G-SDI standard as a minimum.

Let me know the answer to the above and I'll get you a design over that will work and point you to some suppliers (we don't sell to end user but know plenty of people who do) which will get you on the way....

Do you have the model number of the mixer ? There are multiple forms of RGB video, both SMPTE (Component formed) and VESA (Computer formed) can be called RGB however they are NOT cross compatible without conversion. Without the input specification it is nearly impossible to answer your question accurately.

In addition you will need to provide some other information :

How far will you be from the mixers input - This is probably the most critical question as it will effect the transport method.
What's your budget ? - I work for a manufacturer and we can do 30Km on fibre @4K/60 with less than 2ms latency if you've got the cash.....
How many transmitters are you trying to hook up ? just yours or multiple peoples through a track side video switch ?
Have you checked with the team at the stadium ? They probably have a solution you can use, a camera on the field is a pretty common request........

Just a quick note on some comments above :
RGB/Component will easily move 40-60m on good co-ax (PSF 1/3 or equivalent) however this can be limited by the conversion source quality... I've moved this 120m + with a peaking line driver...
HDMI will move 23m on a good quality lead and 60m with some regenerator circuitry (The 60m option will be expensive though, It's designed for outside broadcast/concerts etc)
You could move the HDMI 100m with around 4ms latency on twisted pair / HDBT type extenders without needing to convert.
SDI is a transmission method FOR component video and is designed to go 100m on a single co-ax, please bear in mind not all SDI is equal you will need 2.9Gb of bandwith and therefore need to be at the 3G-SDI standard as a minimum.

Let me know the answer to the above and I'll get you a design over that will work and point you to some suppliers (we don't sell to end user but know plenty of people who do) which will get you on the way....

Have a look at the converter his IT guy and the venue recommended. It won't maintain voltage over distance. He doesn't have the knowledge for adding peaking driver, nor options for recasting/regenerating. Even the IT guy doesn't understand the request, suggesting this is a one-off with a very low budget. The clue is in the original request and the converter. If a client speaks to you in German, do you reply in Latin? ;)

I only get the message "please wait booting" to any monitor connected to the controller's hdmi port. Have tried battery powered and AC powered monitors. Have also tried connecting and powering up in different sequences and still get that message. Solo is online and ready to fly, and GoPro is also sending video to my phone. Any thoughts?

I've found the HDMI output to be flaky sometimes too. Generally shutting it down, taking the battery out of the controller, and putting it back in restores it.

I only get the message "please wait booting" to any monitor connected to the controller's hdmi port. Have tried battery powered and AC powered monitors. Have also tried connecting and powering up in different sequences and still get that message. Solo is online and ready to fly, and GoPro is also sending video to my phone. Any thoughts?
Power cycle the GoPro.
Then it works.

vufine...only used it once. it did not work well in bright sunlight.
will test again...probably going back.
Just ran across this thread. Wasn't aware Vufine actually shipped any units. I've been following it for a long time, care to give us a review?

what would you like to know?
i barely use it...it's just easier setting up using the Sololink on my phone.
for the price it's alright. It does promote safer flying but just barely as you pretty much need to close the other eye even for framing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado