GPS Struggle

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else is having difficulty connecting to more than 6-7 satellites with their solo? Seems like no matter where I go Its about 10-25 minutes before I can get at least 8 while I'm on the ground. Wondering if its something I should send my solo back to have them look at. Just not sure what the norm is here. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Nick

Reactions: seansolo
Had some luck going to more open areas and getting a clean compass calibration. I think that seemed to do the trick. Will post back here if I notice any other variables...

Have you attempted any of the suggestions such as adjusting the copper shielding under the GPS unit?

Are you outdoors away from trees etc? it depends, I don't think it should always take so long to find satelites. 8 or 9 is ok as long as the HDOP is low.

But I think my Solo is sub par in GPS performance.

As an example, I just tested this right now.

My GPS on the Solo took a few minutes to get 4 satellites and I'm still waiting for an OK to fly.

Just 8 inches from my Solo is my Pixhawk quad with a 3DR uBlox GPS and within 30 seconds it had 9 satellites and was ready to fly (3D fix, HDOP 1.7) right away.

My Solo is still struggling as I type this, now up to 5 satellites, but no OK to fly yet.

My galaxy Tab S2 get's 10 to 13 satellites in the same location, but I think it also supports GLONASS

It's so odd how much different runs or individual units vary in so many ways. I did do the cardboard to try to improve it under trees and such, but I've always got at least 7 in a minute or less even before the 5 minute mod. Honestly I'm not sure the mod itself did anything for me, you can always take off in manual but if your going a good distance may want to be careful since your home point will set while your up in the air. I'm in between a bunch of trees and if I do use manual I just go straight up and give it maybe ten seconds at 20 feet and it locks, then go on my flight. Just ideas though good luck.

The cardboard mod is literally just removing a few screws and is very easy for anyone. It's up to you but check a video if it's worth it to ya and you'll see just how easy it is.

Wondering if anyone else is having difficulty connecting to more than 6-7 satellites with their solo? Seems like no matter where I go Its about 10-25 minutes before I can get at least 8 while I'm on the ground. Wondering if its something I should send my solo back to have them look at. Just not sure what the norm is here. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Nick
i cant connect just bought a phantom connects in a minutes

I actually did not do cardboard trick, but i place a simple 3M Magic Tape on the metal body of gps chip, that is all.
So far mine is good and perhaps a bit better after the 3M Magic Tape.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150