GPS Dead Zone?

Reaction score
Wondering if there's such a thing as a GPS dead zone-- a particular spot that has no or very poor GPS reception?

I know with our satellite radio there's a number of places where we lose signal with no apparent reason. Not behind a mountain for example or under a dense canopy. Just seems like random spots with no obvious physical characteristics that might block the radio from communicating with the sats.

Of course GPS satellites comprise another system altogether, but perhaps there's similar issues in some spots?

Mostly I have encountered some areas that have good GPS at times and poor GPS at other times. These areas are less than wide open space. This of course is affected by the ever changing position of the GPS Sats. Regardless of the number of Sats, I think the HDOP is very important. I never fly on an HDOP greater than 2.1. This is just my "two cents worth." I'm sure there are other opinions.

Mostly I have encountered some areas that have good GPS at times and poor GPS at other times. These areas are less than wide open space. This of course is affected by the ever changing position of the GPS Sats. Regardless of the number of Sats, I think the HDOP is very important. I never fly on an HDOP greater than 2.1. This is just my "two cents worth." I'm sure there are other opinions.

Yeah, I think that's good advice. Not unlike going by the voltage of your battery rather than relying strictly on the percentage displayed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M