Gopro/Solo - can I use an external microphone?

Reaction score
I have a Gopro 3+ Black and a new Solo.
I use software called Pluralize to sync footage with audio from a dedicated recorder.
The audio track from the camera mounted to the Solo completely washes out the ambient sound.
This means that I have to sync the audio by hand.
Can I use an external mic so that I can try to get enough signal to allow my software to sync for me?
I could imagine having the mic dangle by a few feet.

Thanks.

Can you hook an exterior mic to the GoPro 3+, and if so can you do so while it is installed in the gimbal?

I really don't know if a dangling mic would work- first I've heard of your software.

Not sure what ambient sound you hope to capture. Anything close to Solo will only hear motor/ prop noise. If you want audio from the subjects you are recording you will need a remote mic and recorder and sync in post.

Not sure what ambient sound you hope to capture. Anything close to Solo will only hear motor/ prop noise. If you want audio from the subjects you are recording you will need a remote mic and recorder and sync in post.

I want to record marching band performances.
I am already using digital audio recorders (Zoom, Tascam).

I have software that will automatically sync the audio to video IF there's enough signal to match the waveforms.

Right now there just isn't enough. I have been synching by hand using an NLE.

I guess I can start recording, use a clapper, and then go get my footage but I'd prefer not to.

Thanks.

Wamba, I've used Pluraleyez in the past, amazing software. But I agree, there's no way you're going to be able to record any usable audio while in the air. My suggestion is start your GoPro recording before you start the propellers and your second recording device, record some audio that you can use to sync from for Plural, and then start flying.

I'm going to try that but think what I'll run into is the time delay from the ground to about 70 feet up and 40 feet away.
I think I'm just have to get really good at synching by hand.

Thank you.

Why would you have delay, unless you're trying to do this live? The footage in the GoPro will be recorded along with your audio in real time. As long as you set your audio "marker" on the ground before you launch Solo, and you continuously record on GoPro and your external audio source, there will be no lag.

if you're doing any type of post production work, you should use a clapboard or a simple slapping of the hands. then line up the audio with markers. very easy to do in any video editing software. I use Adobe Premiere Pro but you can do the same in any number of programs. You don't want the drone audio anyway. It's all wind noise and drone noise.

I've done a parade before. I had the mic at ground level to capture the parade and the drone above. It has the "authenticity" of the parade atmosphere without the "fake" dub of music over silent drone video that is nearly all drone videos.

The issue that I anticipate is with the delay of sound from ground level in a stadium to above and behind the seating. What I've had to do so far is memorize when an obvious drill move synchs with a big audio cue.

Good think I only tape a few bands.

Use an external recorder and some sort of audio marker to sync
with aerial footage you can be creative with ground recorded ambient audio without even synching it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo