GoPro Hero 5 and Solo

Reaction score
Hi,

Are there any news from 3dr about support for gopro hero5? I see some problems with it already, most likely the gimbal is not going to be compatible because of the port at the back.

So splashing 399USD on h5 and 399USD on another gimbal does not seem to be worth it, especially if you can get h5 with Karma drone for 1099USD that comes with a stabiliser worth around 200. I've got Feyiu G4.

Looks like 3dr is favoring Sony over goPro nowadays, and now goPro having their own drone, it even works better for them. I really hope they will come up with something that will keep existing users happy, after all Solo was "a drone designed for gopro".

This is all covered in existing threads here. A simple search will answer your question that it is not and will not be supported by 3DR. And a "a drone designed for gopro" does not mean every new GP model forever.

Reactions: SARDG
Hi,

Are there any news from 3dr about support for gopro hero5? I see some problems with it already, most likely the gimbal is not going to be compatible because of the port at the back.

So splashing 399USD on h5 and 399USD on another gimbal does not seem to be worth it, especially if you can get h5 with Karma drone for 1099USD that comes with a stabiliser worth around 200. I've got Feyiu G4.

Looks like 3dr is favoring Sony over goPro nowadays, and now goPro having their own drone, it even works better for them. I really hope they will come up with something that will keep existing users happy, after all Solo was "a drone designed for gopro".
For those of us that have been watching the sUAV world know that you get way more features the 3DR. The GOPRO Karma does have some preset features:
"...These presets let you create smooth, professional-looking shots. You only need to tell Karma how to set up the shot, and the drone takes it from there. For example, in Cable Cam mode, Karma travels along a line, back and forth; the user just needs to set points A and B. There’s an Orbit mode where Karma circles the user; Reveal mode, where the camera pitches downward and slowly tilts up to present a “reveal” of what’s ahead; and Dronie, where Karma shoots a selfie of the user..."

Although there are preset features, I do not think it will be easy for developers because it looks like it is not an open platform for development. The Best Buy - 3DR Solo bundle sale price at 399 gives the PIC more advanced capabilities.
"However, there are many new drone technologies that Karma lacks, like subject tracking, auto-follow, and object avoidance – features you can find in DJI’s Phantom 4, which also offers other advanced features and longer flight time. Update on September 22, 2016: The Karma Controller has “No-Fly Zones” info that lets you know if an area is restricted, using GPS; we originally reported incorrectly that it didn’t have such a capability.
The Karma is certainly enjoyable if you’re a first-timer or casual user (which, admittedly, I am), but advanced hobbyists and professionals may find it limiting. However, those looking for a no-brainer drone that’s capable of shooting professional-quality videos may be willing to overlook the Karma’s shortcomings.
According to Woodman, GoPro intentionally left out those features because the company doesn’t feel those advanced technologies are ready for ordinary users (we’re sure DJI would disagree). He stressed that Karma (or any GoPro product) needs to deliver a great out-of-the-box experience, and adding unreliable features may turn regular people off. He does believe that drones are very much in their infancy, so while Karma may not have those advanced features now, it’s clearly on GoPro’s roadmap. And, the GoPro name carries a lot of weight.
" Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/gopro-karma-drone-hands-on/#ixzz4LHBTSaNw

Last edited:
My reflex on OP post. The 3DR SOLO was made in in conjunction with a collaboration with GP. GP more or less screwed or tried to with the Karna and it failed in the Karma crap. Solo is a much better drone so I would think the people involved in trying to rip off 3DR should get a grip and fall down to the level they are. and suck the balls.

Reactions: 3DR-KRB and gnomad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig