Gopro Hero 4 Lens Filters.

Reaction score
Im looking at adding lens filters to my go pro 4 silver. How do i figure out how much counter balance to put on gimble and where. I have several extra solo screw on weights i can use.

View media item 340I have the GP4S and use polar pro filters. I attached one penny on the end of the gimbal opposite the lens, and one penny on the back behind the lens.

I used self-adhesive Velcro which I cut out to the size of the penny. Works perfectly. Look closely at the above photo.

Just my 2 cents worth...:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: brianuc4
View media item 340I have the GP4S and use polar pro filters. I attached one penny on the end of the gimbal opposite the lens, and one penny on the back behind the lens.

I used self-adhesive Velcro which I cut out to the size of the penny. Works perfectly. Look closely at the above photo.

Just my 2 cents worth...:cool:

What improvement did you notice after balancing the gimble?

What improvement did you notice after balancing the gimble?
From what I understand, having it balanced is less stress on the gimbal motors in the long run. For example, it doesnt have to fight to maintain a level horizon.

Reactions: carpy
From what I understand, having it balanced is less stress on the gimbal motors in the long run. For example, it doesnt have to fight to maintain a level horizon.

With it hanging down, it was always a nuisance getting Solo in the backpack.

A dime on the side did the trick, thanks...

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
With it hanging down, it was always a nuisance getting Solo in the backpack.

A dime on the side did the trick, thanks...
When I pack the Solo in the backpack I use the factory foam support. It does a pretty good job

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
From what I understand, having it balanced is less stress on the gimbal motors in the long run. For example, it doesn't have to fight to maintain a level horizon.
Absolutely makes a huge difference in the load on the motors and the controller. A good way to test is to see if you can hear anything coming from the gimbal. If you can, it's applying torque to at least one of the axes and you should balance. A better test would be to hook an ammeter up to the power leads going into the gimbal to see how much load it is under.

For my work, I ensured that it is balanced horizontally by cutting the threads off the included weights, super glued them together, and then glued the bundle to the outside center of the pitch motor housing on the gimbal. This keeps it perfectly level horizontally, but with the lens facing straight down (as I do nadir survey) when the filters are mounted. The gimbal is silent in this orientation, which is what I want.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44