GoPro 5 leaks

I found this article fascinating in regard to screen size, resolution, and what the human eye can take in.
4K Resolution Rules TV Screens But Look, The Emperor Has No Clothes

And like most others, the article is extremely flawed (and simply parrots many other articles). The math that has been traditionally used for is old school and missing quite a bit. Increasing screen resolution so it exceeds the discriminating ability of the eye lowers the risk of strain.
I had the opportunity to take in a lecture at the University of Utah (alma mater) with Dr. Bryan Jones, an optometrist who measures the impacts of technology on the human eye. It was fascinating.
He concluded a person with 20/20 vision couldn’t discern more than 287 pixels per inch at a distance of 12 inches. If the same person were to instead view a display from 24 inches (a more typical distance for desktop use) the maximum discernible density drops to just below 150 PPI. What really causes eyestrain has little to do with cutting-edge technology.

Moreover, the greater resolutions allow us to be closer to reality. So long as brightness andcontrasts stay consistent, the higher resolutions come closer and closer to reality. Having experienced 8K at NAB and IBC, it's pretty darn cool. That said, there aren't even codec proposals for SMPTE nor MPEGLA at this time, and that's what really drives the technology; the compression/decompression algorithms. I'm in the biz too. :)

Reactions: SARDG
Yep, I was at NAB the year HD really hit big. Was mind blowing for someone who works in front of an NTSC monitor day in & day out (commercial editor for 25+ years).

Love this topic because there are definitely pros and cons for "going bigger". My perspective:

Acquisition: going to 4K gives a lot of quality and framing advantages, 8K even more! (Speaking generally here not specific cameras).

Editorial: Most advantages are realized when you have a fast PC/Mac and and need to do heavy lifting (green screen, effects, color grade).

Delivery: Movie/TV release? Sure, bigger is better. YouTube? 1080 is more than enough as
  • More than half of YouTube views come from mobile devices. (source: YouTube)
Perception: Videos shot in 4K and down sampled to HD are typically of higher quality (to my eyes) than videos shot in HD.

I haven't seen 8K yet but I'm sure it will be amazing. As bandwidth increases, I'm excited to see where immersive technologies are headed. VR with streaming video of live events! Count me in!

What would everyone do with 8K images? There are no markets except for Japan who has one 8K channel.

You want to use it on a 1080p timeline so you could zoom out 8X?

No, I don't need 8K. I need more fps, I need to shoot video and stills, I need to have a higher quality codec?

There are many things I need in my GP5, but none of them are 8K.3
EXACTLY!

All cogent arguments, but missing one critical component.
GoPro needs a separator, something that stands far out from everyone else.
The average consumer doesn't understand jack about tech. They ate up 4K in the Hero3Black with 12fps 4K. They thought it was the coolest thing ever, even though it really wasn't video.
GoPro already has the most efficient codec of its class; no point in bitching about that feature.
If they cared about the pro market, they'd focus on heat dispersion, which would allow for higher bitrates and higher framerates. But...they truly don't care much. They're all about cramming lots of pixels on tiny sensors and having a long bullet list of features that no one else has.

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
Think of the cropping/zooming you could do going from 8k to 1080 ;) A lot more room there. Or even 8k to 4k. So far I've been doing 4k to 1080 but that extra room would sure be nice with all the data there. It's just a matter of the quality of the data, which is mostly, but not totally, dictated by bitrate. It's a combination of quality of sensor+bitrate+optics. I just do stuff for fun though - not relying on the tech for making a living. For what I do GP is my price range, although I've spent quite a bit altering it to get it to be the best it can be lol.

I found this article fascinating in regard to screen size, resolution, and what the human eye can take in.
4K Resolution Rules TV Screens But Look, The Emperor Has No Clothes

I've seen that article before. They are kinda missing the point. Theoretically, a person never sees individual pixels while looking at a TV screen no matter what. The difference in sharpness can be noticed without seeing individual pixels. I have a 4K TV, and I can tell the difference between HD and 4K on it, not because I can see individual dots, but because the whole image sharpness is improved. I get what they are trying to say, but all you have to do is look at the image, and at least for me, the difference was visible.

I also really enjoy the fact that I can crop out an HD image from my video to do zoom or motion control effects. I'm doing online videos mostly, so I don't need 4K output, but 4K raw video gives me options that HD doesn't.

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
All cogent arguments, but missing one critical component.
GoPro needs a separator, something that stands far out from everyone else.
The average consumer doesn't understand jack about tech. They ate up 4K in the Hero3Black with 12fps 4K. They thought it was the coolest thing ever, even though it really wasn't video.
GoPro already has the most efficient codec of its class; no point in bitching about that feature.
If they cared about the pro market, they'd focus on heat dispersion, which would allow for higher bitrates and higher framerates. But...they truly don't care much. They're all about cramming lots of pixels on tiny sensors and having a long bullet list of features that no one else has.
Do you think GP has that separator, that thing that will make them stand out? Do you think the Karma will be anywhere close to being that seoerator?

One of GoPro's biggest separators is it's name. They could slap a GoPro label on a polished turd and there are people who will buy it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo