Gopro 4 Black

JLJ

Reaction score
Hello, first time flier and first time using gopro, have zero experience with cameras so I don't know anything about resolution or video. I bought the gopro 4 black cause I wanted to record in 4k for amazing resolution. the question is if It is a good idea to always shoot the gopro in 4K super viw while I fly? I read that super view would be good to get more horizon? I have set up the gopro to medium FOV since it is what Solo recomends. MY gopro hero 4 has the new ragecams 4.2mm HQ wide angle flat lens http://ragecams.com/shop/42mm-wide-angle-flat-lens-glass-10mp-rectilinear-p-753.html

would this lens plus the 4k super view be too much? Should I shoot in normal 4K if I have this lens?

Thank You very much for any help

Reactions: Harvestresponse
I think superview covers more horizontal and vertical space but introduces more distortion. Wide already has a good amount so I've always shot in medium when flying the solo (to keep the legs out and to have less of a fisheye effect). I don't have much experience with filters on gopros so you just need to experiment and see what looks best. I'd like to shoot in 4k if the legs don't show and if it's not super distorted but I think it will be. After watching a bunch of phantom 3 videos I'm starting to like that camera more…

why do you think it will be distorded?

so you think that with the wide Lens from Rage Cams I should shoot medium fov and normal 4K?

I think superview covers more horizontal and vertical space but introduces more distortion. Wide already has a good amount so I've always shot in medium when flying the solo (to keep the legs out and to have less of a fisheye effect). I don't have much experience with filters on gopros so you just need to experiment and see what looks best. I'd like to shoot in 4k if the legs don't show and if it's not super distorted but I think it will be. After watching a bunch of phantom 3 videos I'm starting to like that camera more…

Gopros are more POV cameras so they're naturally wide and more fisheye-like (distorted). Shooting in medium basically crops the image so it doesn't appear as distorted. It's best to just find a wide open space and record a couple seconds in each mode so you can see the differences in field of views and quality.

From what it sounds like I think you shoot in wide and the ragecam straightens it out.

Reactions: Harvestresponse
Gopros are more POV cameras so they're naturally wide and more fisheye-like (distorted). Shooting in medium basically crops the image so it doesn't appear as distorted. It's best to just find a wide open space and record a couple seconds in each mode so you can see the differences in field of views and quality.

From what it sounds like I think you shoot in wide and the ragecam straightens it out.
It really depends on the FOV and lense.... With stock lense you need to be at 1080 M... With a diiferent lense (such as a PEAU recitlinear 5.44) you can go to 4K Wide and not see the legs at all...

Also the ISO on GoPro's is automatic, based on light level, so you can slow the shutter down by adding neutral density filters. That cuts the "jello" effect. Several lense systems have add on filters, hoods etc.
The PEAU comes with an ND 4 built in (behind the lense) and the ability to add filters over the lense. I have several add on filters, such as ND 8, ND 4, ND 2 that can be used in combination for that purpose, as well as other specialty filters such as color. polarization etc.. You can buy kits with many filters together...

http://peauproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=198&products_id=934

Last edited:
Earl, thanks a lot for the reply. As I posted in my first message, I have the ragecams lens http://ragecams.com/shop/42mm-wide-angle-flat-lens-glass-10mp-rectilinear-p-753.html

Do you think with those I would still be good with 4K Super or I should go with normal 4K?

should I get a ND filter? I can ask ragecams what tbey have. Should the ND filter be on all the time? I should never remove it?

Thank You

Jorge

It really depends on the FOV and lense.... With stock lense you need to be at 1080 M... With a diiferent lense (such as a PEAU recitlinear 5.44) you can go to 4K Wide and not see the legs at all...

Also the ISO on GoPro's is automatic, based on light level, so you can slow the shutter down by adding neutral density filters. That cuts the "jello" effect. Several lense systems have add on filters, hoods etc.
The PEAU comes with an ND 4 built in (behind the lense) and the ability to add filters over the lense. I have several add on filters, such as ND 8, ND 4, ND 2 that can be used in combination for that purpose, as well as other specialty filters such as color. polarization etc.. You can buy kits with many filters together...

http://peauproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=198&products_id=934

Earl, thanks a lot for the reply. As I posted in my first message, I have the ragecams lens http://ragecams.com/shop/42mm-wide-angle-flat-lens-glass-10mp-rectilinear-p-753.html

Do you think with those I would still be good with 4K Super or I should go with normal 4K?

should I get a ND filter? I can ask ragecams what tbey have. Should the ND filter be on all the time? I should never remove it?

Thank You

Jorge
Hey Jorge,
I have never really used the Ragecams units. Seen the ads and all, and nothing against them, just picked one and it was PEAU.

Given that, I learned their stuff and how it goies together, and also learned some good tips from them. I do know the PEAU lenses come with an ND4 inside. They felt it is important as the GoPro counts on the particular stock lense to control light, and the change of lense matters in that regard. Since GoPro has no granular ISO adjustment, the shutter speed changes automatically based on the amount of light. The ND4 matches with the lense to lower the light and make the camera happy, and you can slow the shutter more (cutting more jello) by adding more ND filtering.

My experience is that while it isn't a replacement for a gimbal and vibration dampening, it works well to limit jello, and give you control of ISO.

Not sure what Rage has in theirs, but I would ask. If it has no internal ND filter, then I might consider getting an ND4 to put on externally and leave it almost permanently. Adding other ND filters does help with "jello" but it also cuts light. Depending on your situation, you may be fine with that or even need to cut light anyway, so more is better to a point where it makes the outcome dark, and in the end you put on as much as you can, while still getting enough light.

An extra ND2 and ND4 (that can also be used in combination) are really handy tools

Thanks a lot for the information Earl. i did see a PEAU too but it was the 5.4Mm and it was to much zoom for my liking and heard very good things about the new Ragecams.

Will ask them if my lens have the filter or not.

Regards

Hey Jorge,
I have never really used the Ragecams units. Seen the ads and all, and nothing against them, just picked one and it was PEAU.

Given that, I learned their stuff and how it goies together, and also learned some good tips from them. I do know the PEAU lenses come with an ND4 inside. They felt it is important as the GoPro counts on the particular stock lense to control light, and the change of lense matters in that regard. Since GoPro has no granular ISO adjustment, the shutter speed changes automatically based on the amount of light. The ND4 matches with the lense to lower the light and make the camera happy, and you can slow the shutter more (cutting more jello) by adding more ND filtering.

My experience is that while it isn't a replacement for a gimbal and vibration dampening, it works well to limit jello, and give you control of ISO.

Not sure what Rage has in theirs, but I would ask. If it has no internal ND filter, then I might consider getting an ND4 to put on externally and leave it almost permanently. Adding other ND filters does help with "jello" but it also cuts light. Depending on your situation, you may be fine with that or even need to cut light anyway, so more is better to a point where it makes the outcome dark, and in the end you put on as much as you can, while still getting enough light.

An extra ND2 and ND4 (that can also be used in combination) are really handy tools

Earl

I am playing with my Gopro right now. Could you please tell me what are the 2 best resolution to film why using the Solo?

I've read many people say the best one is 2.7K and 60fps, my gopro black 4 if it goes to 2.7k only gives mes option for 30fps, 24fps and 48fps, Am I missing something?

Hey Jorge,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks