Go Pro 3 Black does nothing in the Gimbal....

Reaction score
Alright Ive had my solo for a few days, Ive searched thru the forums, my GP3 Black does not come to life in the gimbal, what are my options to get this working as it is listed as 'compatible'....just what does that mean? lol...I have no liveview....no power options....its just blank!

Gopro has the latest firmware and so does the Solo

you probably need to make sure your go pro is fully updated, install the latest firmware from go pro to start...

Reactions: Drone_Dude
You need to check that the HDMI cable is seated properly. It requires you to loosen the 3 screws that hold it to the Solo, and make sure the connections are in place. There is a video on the 3DR site that shows this.

As to firmware updates, have you checked that your GoPro is up to date. GoPro released a minor update last summer designed to allow Solo to specifically talk to the GoPro. Don't assume it has it because it's new.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Drone_Dude
yes double tripple checked it has the latest from gopro's site, I can get a stream if I turn the camera on then insert into the gimbal however after I powerup the solo, controller I can fly and see the stream, however cannot record, if I repeat the process and push record on the gopro manually as soon as I arm and fly the camera stops recording but the stream still works, Ive selected other in the app camera options and tried the others with no change

Did you loosen the Gimbal screws to make sure the HDMI cable is both installed and routed properly. Also did you look at whether the cable lie that connects the GoPro to the Solo is plugged in correctly.

Did you buy the built by 3DR, or have to install the gimbal yourself. Did you watch the videos provided on the 3DR site on how to properly install the gimbal.

You know, I and the other fellow are trying to help you. I might suggest you watch your tone, maybe thank people or like their/my contribution. You are not providing appropriate information, addressing questions or helping yourself.

I'm just trying to help

Did you loosen the Gimbal screws to make sure the HDMI cable is both installed and routed properly. Also did you look at whether the cable lie that connects the GoPro to the Solo is plugged in correctly.

Did you buy the built by 3DR, or have to install the gimbal yourself. Did you watch the videos provided on the 3DR site on how to properly install the gimbal.

You know, I and the other fellow are trying to help you. I might suggest you watch your tone, maybe thank people or like their/my contribution. You are not providing appropriate information, addressing questions or helping yourself.

I'm just trying to help

Yes, as mentioned I can get a live feed only, I cant record on the gopro, I installed the gimble myself, Ive tried hunting on various forums in regards to Hero 3 Black and recording I cant seem to find anyone who has gotten this to work, thanks for your help :)

Alright Ive had my solo for a few days, Ive searched thru the forums, my GP3 Black does not come to life in the gimbal, what are my options to get this working as it is listed as 'compatible'....just what does that mean? lol...I have no liveview....no power options....its just blank!

Gopro has the latest firmware and so does the Solo
Also check your HDMI connection at the gimbal. Once I installed my gimbal, I had to go back and check for updates. Had everything updated before install, but once installed, had no feed. Searched for upgrades within the solo app with the gopro in the cradle (don't know if that was a factor). Solo all of a sudden needed another update. Reconnected to home wifi, installed and restarted. VIOLA, The world is a happier place!

Last edited:
After the latest updates, my 3+ Black would not power on either. After trying everything I could think of, I contacted 3DR customer support by chat. I was informed that GoPro would not update the 3+ Black to allow the auto on function to continue. Per the agreement with 3DR, the camera functions will continue to work, and future updates for smart shots, or other camera functions will be fine. Basically, GoPro doesn't want to update the 3+ Black to keep the auto on function, but that function will work on the Hero 4 cameras. Those of us with the 3+ Black will just have to turn on our camera before powering up Solo. It will still power down when Solo does. Something we will have to live with, unless we upgrade to the Hero 4. Not the best of news, but I hope it helps the rest of you with the problem.

Reactions: beatstanfurd
If your getting FPV, then the HDMI is working...

Sounds like you have a data cable connection issue or a low or failing GP battery. Make sure your battery is fully charged on the GP. Re-Check your gimbal install, go from the battery tray to insure the data cable is fully engaged into the gimbal's connector. Inspect the data cable for broken or loose wires... Check your GP's data connector for broken pins or an obstruction.

What SD card are you using in the GP? Have you formatted it recently?

If that doesn't work, get an RMA from 3DR and return the gimbal or just return it to where you purchased it...since you've had it a few days.

Reactions: cameraguy
Is GoPro Hero 3 Black (not 3+) supported? I don't believe all the features are supported for the plain version of 3 Black. I have a 3 and 4 Black, and the features only work with 4 Black.

Reactions: RichWest
Well thankyou all for your help, I fixed the issue...Ive brought a GP4 Black!...Ill flick off the GP3, Cheers!

I flew today for the first time since all the latest updates. Other than having to power up my 3+ Black before Solo, everything worked great. I may invest in a GP4 Black down the line, but for now, I am happy with what I currently have.

Reactions: MiNDRiOTS
After the latest updates, my 3+ Black would not power on either. After trying everything I could think of, I contacted 3DR customer support by chat. I was informed that GoPro would not update the 3+ Black to allow the auto on function to continue. Per the agreement with 3DR, the camera functions will continue to work, and future updates for smart shots, or other camera functions will be fine. Basically, GoPro doesn't want to update the 3+ Black to keep the auto on function, but that function will work on the Hero 4 cameras. Those of us with the 3+ Black will just have to turn on our camera before powering up Solo. It will still power down when Solo does. Something we will have to live with, unless we upgrade to the Hero 4. Not the best of news, but I hope it helps the rest of you with the problem.

Yeah, so much for the advertising that it's "optimized" for the GP3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado