Gimbal wiring

Hi, I am integrating a FLIR VUE PRO gimbal into the SOLO aircraft.. I have the power, video feed and stabilization problems taken care of, but I still need camera pitch control through the 3DR Controller. Is there a signal converter available to take care of Tx to PWM? Not worried about smart shots integration at all right now. Really want to use the existing gimbal control cable without any soldiered wiring to the SOLO main board. I saw the Feiyu video as well.

the gimbal bay speaks mavlink via serial and also connects to the imx via usb. to control a pwm gimbal you would need another device (intel edision, etc) that can translate mavlink to pwm. 3DR failed us here. they were supposed to provide details on integration in the gimbal bay, but left us holding the bag. theoretically, a storm32 controlled gimbal would work because storm32 supports mavlink out of the box.

It seems that Mavlink communications are not the industry standard in China... where all this technology comes from.

Surely there is a micro processor that will convert the Mavlink Tx to PWM out there somewhere. This is all I need to be able to move forward on several projects.

Any idea where I might look to find this "miracle device"?

It seems that Mavlink communications are not the industry standard in China... where all this technology comes from.

Surely there is a micro processor that will convert the Mavlink Tx to PWM out there somewhere. This is all I need to be able to move forward on several projects.

Any idea where I might look to find this "miracle device"?

i have not seen anything aside from a storm32 board.

Hi, I am integrating a FLIR VUE PRO gimbal into the SOLO aircraft.. I have the power, video feed and stabilization problems taken care of, but I still need camera pitch control through the 3DR Controller. Is there a signal converter available to take care of Tx to PWM? Not worried about smart shots integration at all right now. Really want to use the existing gimbal control cable without any soldiered wiring to the SOLO main board. I saw the Feiyu video as well.
Hi,
Would you any pict of your install, please ?
I am starting the integration of the same.
My wish is to keep the GoPro on Gimbal and Install the Flir Pro on a separate arm with just one motor for tilt and analog live feed on a separate screen...
Any suggestion ?

Hi,
Would you any pict of your install, please ?
I am starting the integration of the same.
My wish is to keep the GoPro on Gimbal and Install the Flir Pro on a separate arm with just one motor for tilt and analog live feed on a separate screen...
Any suggestion ?

Cyberblitz did a autopsy of his gimbal GIMBAL TEARDOWN - SORT OF (and now with some rebuild) and it seems that if you want to engage another motor you have to solder 6 wires to the TMS DSP and connect them to an other DRV 8313 H-Bridge Driver IC for moving a 3-Phase BLDC Motor.
+ 2 wires for VCC and GND

looks like this could be done if you would know the right pins on the DSP :p

but seeing this UART port on the gimbal i think it would be nice to hook a serial sniffer in and see what they communicate, coz the D+ & D- pins look like USB link to the Gopro and have nothing to do with the Gimbal control

Last edited:
Hello, I do not know if it is the right place to consult this, but recently I bought a 3dr only without original gimbal. Although this is a bit old drone I was investigating and it is very transforming, therefore I am interested.

Now my first modification: Install a Quanum 2D gimbal that I had installed on my F450.

The first problem is to understand if it is possible to send the PWM signal from my SOLO to the Quanum, because it automatically stabilizes when connecting to the battery, simply send a PWM signal to modify the PITCH.

I attach some photos of what I have at the moment and if you know anything that can help me.

IMG_20200407_185046.jpg
This is the gimbal

IMG_20200407_192310.jpg
This is the connection to the Pitch PWM

Adjunto otras fotos:
IMG_20200407_184933.jpg IMG_20200407_185137.jpg IMG_20200407_185149.jpg

Muchas Gracias

Please search for 'Gimbal Pitch' on the forums. This has been discussed ad nauseum

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela