Gimbal occasionally tilting at 45° then resetting itself

Reaction score
It seems others are having similar problems with the gimbal but mine is a bit different so I figured I'd start a new thread.

In my experience, I unpacked and install the gimbal into get for its first flight. The gimbal would fly perfectly shooting very smooth video but when I would stop moving the drone and let it hover the gimbal would "fail" after 5-10 seconds tilting to the left at 45°. I tried the calibrations in the settings menu. Both compass, and level, and to took it out for another flight. The drone then flew perfectly without failing even once.

The next day I went out for another flight, and the same 45° failing issues were back. I have not contacted 3DR yet as I've been busy working sunup to sundown this week. But i'm curious what would cause this issue only to happen when the drone hovers still. It behaves like it is loosing track of where level is. Anytime it is being constantly "tested" when the drone is moving seems to fix the problem.

Mine did the same twice yesterday. Just flops for a couple of seconds then works fine again. Hovering both times.

Mine is doing this continuously. It seems to be it less often when at 0* and much more when at 90*.

Mine has been returned for the same thing. The gimbal just drops out then a few seconds returns. 3DR sent a FedEx return label and I returned it on Tue 9/22 waiting for the new one to show up.

Mine just started doing this. I assumed it would be fixed with an update, but now I'm wondering if I should make a ticket and see if they want it sent in.

Does anyone else's only reset/go limp while the Solo is flying? Try as I might, I cannot get the gimbal to fault/reset/go limp while holding the Solo and yawing/pitching/rolling it manually. The gimbal seems to take that in stride just fine. While flying however, faults out every couple of seconds or so.

Mine is fine until it takes off and it immediately goes to 45 or so. Sometimes after a couple of seconds it resets and all is well, other times it resets, and repeats the 45 until I land and restart everything.

I was asked to send mine back because it would drop out to a 45 degree and reset while in flight. Also would just tremble for a few seconds and reset. Might happen once or twice in an 8 min flight. My settings were just medium for flight and camera acceleration. 3DR mentioned that if the drone/gimbal started to draw to much power (spike) it would turn the gimbal off to save power for the drone. After having me run both calibrations from the app and one to reset the controls on the transmitter they ask that I return the gimbal. Waiting for the replacement to come now. Was told 2 weeks plus shipping time from China but they claim they have put me on a Priority list but have not as of yet seen any shipping confirmation. Sent mine out 9/22

I was asked to send mine back because it would drop out to a 45 degree and reset while in flight. Also would just tremble for a few seconds and reset. Might happen once or twice in an 8 min flight. My settings were just medium for flight and camera acceleration. 3DR mentioned that if the drone/gimbal started to draw to much power (spike) it would turn the gimbal off to save power for the drone. After having me run both calibrations from the app and one to reset the controls on the transmitter they ask that I return the gimbal. Waiting for the replacement to come now. Was told 2 weeks plus shipping time from China but they claim they have put me on a Priority list but have not as of yet seen any shipping confirmation. Sent mine out 9/22

So this is an interesting comment "if the DRONE/gimbal"...draw too much power". I've been wondering about this myself - if the reset is due to the drone and not the gimbal. In an earlier post, I commented that my gimbal WILL NOT reset while everything is powered and I am moving it around to really exercise it; but it constantly resets while the drone is flying. I'm working w/ 3DR support now and anticipate I'll be getting a replacement gimbal, so time will tell I guess.

Reactions: Cabinetworks
I am having the same issue with the gimbal flop. I have noticed that the gimbal has significant vibration when in flight. I am not sure if the shaky behavior is coming from the gimbal or the bird itself. I made sure all cable routing was correct and even used zip ties to hold the cables away from gimbal as was suggested by technical support. Sent them logs and video as the video tends to be shaky and flops worse during yaw turns for me. They are now suggesting a new gimbal but wanted me to wait for the new update this coming week.

So this is an interesting comment "if the DRONE/gimbal"...draw too much power". I've been wondering about this myself - if the reset is due to the drone and not the gimbal. In an earlier post, I commented that my gimbal WILL NOT reset while everything is powered and I am moving it around to really exercise it; but it constantly resets while the drone is flying. I'm working w/ 3DR support now and anticipate I'll be getting a replacement gimbal, so time will tell I guess.

My replacement gimbal came last week. The weather in Ohio has been less than ideal for flying. Lots of wind and rain. I plan to fly today. When I installed the new gimbal and tested it indoors (not flying) it was very quiet and I felt no vibration at all. Not at all like the first gimbal, when I tested it indoors I could hear and feel the vibration and see the gimbal tremble slightly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig