Gimbal issues following a crash

Reaction score
I suffered my first crash the other day by getting caught in a branch, and though I was amazed at how well my Solo survived the drop, the gimbal has clearly been affected.

I took a video of how it's acting any time my Solo is turned on. It just kind of freaks out as if it can never correct itself. When connected, I can adjust the camera angle via the controller but the freak-outs continue.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have tried to fix via the following:
  • Level calibration
  • Compass calibration
  • Unscrewing gimbal and checking for wires getting in the way

I found a video in this thread that looked like it could be worth trying, but I am unable to get enough of a grip on the magnet in back to turn the mount the other direction at all.

Is my gimbal toast? Are there any other things I could try? Attached is an image of where the gimbal hangs when the Solo is off.

Apologies for being a bit of a novice. I attempted to search for a fix or someone suffering a similar problem all morning to no avail.

Thank you!
IMG_2103.JPG

Take the filter off the camera first, the camera should balance when at rest and the bird powered off.. Take the gimbal completely off the bird and inspect fully. Your still picture indicates a slight angle on the yaw arm, optical illusion?

Reactions: wisher
Take the filter off the camera first, the camera should balance when at rest and the bird powered off.. Take the gimbal completely off the bird and inspect fully. Your still picture indicates a slight angle on the yaw arm, optical illusion?
Ah yes, you are correct. I didn't realize the small weight of the lens cover was enough to tilt it. It now balances perfectly when off. Thank you for the tip.

Still getting the same issue when it is powered on, though.

Wisher, is this the video you were referring to?

Reactions: wisher

After taking one apart, that should not be possible; if the motor is able to be twisted, it has come lose from the roll arm and could eventually fall off through vibration.

Although, it has highlighted another method of repair; loosen the motor, twist it untill the problem disappears then re-tighten.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog and wisher

Yeah that's the video I saw. Sorry, it looks like my link to that thread didn't work correctly. I thought the drumming issue it addressed was similar to how my gimbal acts, but was unable to replicate the solution.

After taking one apart, that should not be possible; if the motor is able to be twisted, it has come lose from the roll arm and could eventually fall off through vibration.

Although, it has highlighted another method of repair; loosen the motor, twist it untill the problem disappears then re-tighten.

Thanks for the explanation on that. Do you think that would be worth a try in my case?

I've taken the gimbal off to try to assess any damage as I've seen people note that things can get bent as a result of crashing, but I didn't notice anything unusual. Would you/others viewing be able to get a clearer picture of anything if I added some photos of it?

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate your help!

An additional question... if it doesn't seem like a fix for my problem would be simple, would there be any reason to suspect that simply buying and installing a new gimbal wouldn't be a solution? The rest of the drone flies and operates normally. Thanks!

An additional question... if it doesn't seem like a fix for my problem would be simple, would there be any reason to suspect that simply buying and installing a new gimbal wouldn't be a solution? The rest of the drone flies and operates normally. Thanks!
The issue is probably limited to the gimbal so I think a new one would solve your problems.

Additional pictures wouldn't hurt.:)

That would be the quickest resolve, to replace the gimbal. I'm 99.9% sure it's related to the gimbal rather than something else causing issue. Can't imagine anything causing the issue outside of the gimbal.

Did you double check the data cable that plugs into the top of the gimbal, at both ends for loose or broken wires/connector? Unlikely, but worth another look....

The issue is probably limited to the gimbal so I think a new one would solve your problems.

Additional pictures wouldn't hurt.:)

Wouldn't be the worst thing, I'm just glad I didn't hurt it worse!

Here are some additional photos attached... I'm not too familiar with the guts of it, so apologies if any photos are of things that aren't relevant. On photo #3, overhead view of gimbal, I circled in blue one of the rubber "things" for lack of a better term, which, when I first opened it originally, had been dislocated from the top X-shaped piece of plastic. I reattached it quite easily but it didn't appear to fix anything, it's possible I accidentally did this while taking the gimbal off I think.

That would be the quickest resolve, to replace the gimbal. I'm 99.9% sure it's related to the gimbal rather than something else causing issue. Can't imagine anything causing the issue outside of the gimbal.

Did you double check the data cable that plugs into the top of the gimbal, at both ends for loose or broken wires/connector? Unlikely, but worth another look....

Thank you. I double checked both cables on the gimbal side. I think I can see where the cables originate from deeper inside the body, but I'm not sure the best way to access it. I'll take a look at some disassembly instructions and see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

Attachments

• _MG_9791.jpg
    _MG_9791.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 26
  • _MG_9793.jpg
    _MG_9793.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • _MG_9795.jpg
    _MG_9795.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • _MG_9796.jpg
    _MG_9796.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • _MG_9798.jpg
    _MG_9798.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
  • _MG_9800.jpg
    _MG_9800.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
I don't see anything obvious except the HDMI cable in pics 1 & 2 looks slightly crooked where it plugs into the gimbal. Wouldn't cause your issue but check to make sure it is plugged in correctly.

No issues with the isolation dampers in pic 3.

To access the other end of the HDMI cable, you need to remove the battery tray. Then there are a couple of screws holding the circuit board to the body that need to be removed.

If you are getting good video feed from the GoPro when it is in the gimbal you are OK. If you need to check it, there is a video posted somewhere here and on YouTube that shows what to do. Search YouTube for "3dr solo HDMI cable" or something similar and it should show up.

Wouldn't be the worst thing, I'm just glad I didn't hurt it worse!

Here are some additional photos attached... I'm not too familiar with the guts of it, so apologies if any photos are of things that aren't relevant. On photo #3, overhead view of gimbal, I circled in blue one of the rubber "things" for lack of a better term, which, when I first opened it originally, had been dislocated from the top X-shaped piece of plastic. I reattached it quite easily but it didn't appear to fix anything, it's possible I accidentally did this while taking the gimbal off I think.

Thank you. I double checked both cables on the gimbal side. I think I can see where the cables originate from deeper inside the body, but I'm not sure the best way to access it. I'll take a look at some disassembly instructions and see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

Its really difficult from the pictures to identify any problems. The Flat Flex Cables that connect underneath the motherboard may have come loose. They are held in place with strong electrical tape glue, but all the same, I think it's worth a look. It's even possible the connector itself has become dislodged from the board.

Have a look at the screws holding the motors to the arms (there are two for each, one is hidden at the end of the arms - you need to loosen this one before loosening the other, or you'll end up snapping the screw like I did).

The motors themselves can't take much punishment and can easily damage. This is my assessment anyway. The company that make them, Namiki, don't seem to sell them to consumers, unfortunately.

Have a look at my thread: GIMBAL TEARDOWN - SORT OF (and now with some rebuild)

Looking at the images with the cables connected and the gimbal pulled out is the visual of finger nails on chalk board....for me.

Your shot of the gimbal standing up still appears that it is slightly bent. I think that is where the problem is for the wonkie action. I think it could be straightened, but seeing how your struggling with the gimbal, I'd just suggest replacing the gimbal....and being done.

fwiw, the black balls (isolators) appear stressed from the impact, both of the rear ones. Not the source for the wonkie gimbal action. But for those reading this later, this could be a problem with vibration and should be replaced. On my recent crash, I thought my isolators were fine, but found one that was partially torn. ymmv

I don't see anything obvious except the HDMI cable in pics 1 & 2 looks slightly crooked where it plugs into the gimbal. Wouldn't cause your issue but check to make sure it is plugged in correctly.

No issues with the isolation dampers in pic 3.

To access the other end of the HDMI cable, you need to remove the battery tray. Then there are a couple of screws holding the circuit board to the body that need to be removed.

If you are getting good video feed from the GoPro when it is in the gimbal you are OK. If you need to check it, there is a video posted somewhere here and on YouTube that shows what to do. Search YouTube for "3dr solo HDMI cable" or something similar and it should show up.

I took a look at the other end of the HDMI last night and it looks like it's securely attached still. Thanks for the tip.

Its really difficult from the pictures to identify any problems. The Flat Flex Cables that connect underneath the motherboard may have come loose. They are held in place with strong electrical tape glue, but all the same, I think it's worth a look. It's even possible the connector itself has become dislodged from the board.

Have a look at the screws holding the motors to the arms (there are two for each, one is hidden at the end of the arms - you need to loosen this one before loosening the other, or you'll end up snapping the screw like I did).

The motors themselves can't take much punishment and can easily damage. This is my assessment anyway. The company that make them, Namiki, don't seem to sell them to consumers, unfortunately.

Have a look at my thread: GIMBAL TEARDOWN - SORT OF (and now with some rebuild)

Thanks for the link to the thread, very informative. I took a peek at the connection underneath the motherboard but it appears it's still solidly connected.

Looking at the images with the cables connected and the gimbal pulled out is the visual of finger nails on chalk board....for me.

Your shot of the gimbal standing up still appears that it is slightly bent. I think that is where the problem is for the wonkie action. I think it could be straightened, but seeing how your struggling with the gimbal, I'd just suggest replacing the gimbal....and being done.

fwiw, the black balls (isolators) appear stressed from the impact, both of the rear ones. Not the source for the wonkie gimbal action. But for those reading this later, this could be a problem with vibration and should be replaced. On my recent crash, I thought my isolators were fine, but found one that was partially torn. ymmv

In regards to stress on the cables? I had it resting sideways on the foam protector but you can't see it in the photos, hopefully that alleviates some of the concern, haha. But either way I'm very new to taking electronics apart so any tips to protect them would be excellent help to me.

Good eye on the isolators, I didn't notice that but now that you point it out I can definitely see where they were stressed at the top.

Ultimately I think you're right, I'm just going to buy a new gimbal today and fly safer in the future.

Good eye- glad you chimed in.

Good eye- glad you chimed in.
Contrary to belief, I'm more than just a pretty face....;)

In regards to stress on the cables? I had it resting sideways on the foam protector but you can't see it in the photos
My concern was related to a proper gimbal install. If you are shoving the connected Data cable back into the bird from the bottom, then you're 99% unlikely to have a proper install unless you like massive vibes in your video. And not saying that the connectors are fragile, but its surface mounted stuff and is only rated for a certain amount of loading.

Get the gimbal and be happy once again....

Does the gimbal do that without the camera?
For a working set, without the camera in the gimbal, off balance, there should be a buzzing sound as the motor trying to balance the lesser weight. The whole gimbal is steady with the buzzing sound. Use your hand to level/turn the camera's socket (without the camera in it), the buzzing stops when it's balanced.

Last edited:
Contrary to belief, I'm more than just a pretty face....;)

My concern was related to a proper gimbal install. If you are shoving the connected Data cable back into the bird from the bottom, then you're 99% unlikely to have a proper install unless you like massive vibes in your video. And not saying that the connectors are fragile, but its surface mounted stuff and is only rated for a certain amount of loading.

Get the gimbal and be happy once again....

Interesting, it's a factory install... are they generally done differently? I'll have to check for some references when I install the new one to make sure it's all set up correctly.

Thanks again, and will do.

Does the gimbal do that without the camera?
For a working set, without the camera in the gimbal, off balance, there should be a buzzing sound as the motor trying to balance the lesser weight. The whole gimbal is steady with the buzzing sound. Use your hand to level/turn the camera's socket (without the camera in it), the buzzing stops when it's balanced.

Thank you. I gave that a shot on the current gimbal. It violently jerks the socket up and down, same as when the camera is in in the first video. I think I'm able to find something of a balance point but once weight shifts or the gimbal moves at all it returns to acting spastically.

Thanks everyone for the help. Just ordered a new one. If anyone would benefit from either trying to fix this gimbal or taking it apart, let me know. I'd be getting rid of it anyway so it may as well go to a good cause!

Interesting, it's a factory install... are they generally done differently?
Like the gimbal came factory installed or that you installed as recommended by 3DR via one of their videos?

Quite a few threads on installing the gimbal, some good, some not so good. Always look at example videos from those that give the advice...

The consensus regarding the data cable is that it needs to be positioned from the top down. Removing the battery tray will give you full access to the data cable to insure it is in the clear of all contact points. Also this will allow you to see if the HDMI is contacting any parts. Again several threads on the subject of the data cable placement.

If no one takes your gimbal, at least save the green GP clip and isolators (black balls) for a future need. Maybe the three screws that hold the gimbal to the bird would be good as well. Other than that, the gimbal is typically not a repairable component. And at $100, there is no reason to.

BTW, where are you located on this blue marble?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44