Gimbal getting good view of props and landing gear!!!!

Reaction score
I have been flying my solo without a gimbal since it's release. The video sucked so I finally got the 3dr gimbal. I will say the gimbal works very well and gets great video at low speed as long as you don't use a lot of yaw. At higher speeds the gimbal gets almost full view of the props. It also picks up the landing gear in yaw. I guess I was expecting a more refined setup for $1400 without a camera. It seems like the Solo and the gimbal are like the chicken and the egg. Which came first?
Instead of trying to make the Solo's body look symmetrical maybe shift weight toward the rear and move the gimbal forward. Form follows function.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Set your gimbal at 85 deg. instead of 90 and fly slower to get rid of the props.

Set your GoPro to medium resolution and don't yaw hard to avoid the landing gear.

Perhaps your problems are a result of not knowing how to get the best results out of your equipment. You need to learn how to properly use it.

I guess the first time I tried to land a Cessna 152, and did a crappy job, I could've said "this plane sucks- I can't grease a landing with it. Cessna should build better planes that don't have this problem"!

By The Way: you are getting much smoother video than most Solo owners, who are still trying to figure out what's wrong with their bird- count your blessings, it could be a lot worse!:D

Last edited:
I guess the first time I tried to land a Cessna 152, and did a crappy job, I could've said "this plane sucks- I can't grease a landing with it. Cessna should build better planes that don't have this problem".
Excellent!

I've been a PP for 25 years and I currently own and operate a 72 flybaby that is very fun to fly! I know all about bad landings in tri gear aircraft. Those landings break taildraggers.
Lowering the gimbal in the design phase of a small drone is nothing like landing a full scale aircraft, but at least we both got to brag. The good vibration free video is because I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't use a DuBro balancer and I don't have a balancing shaft for a DJI phantom. I would never use hot glue to balance the prop hub. What the heck is a ND filter anyway? I just found one on the ground and decided to try it. I think it helped? maybe someone with more experience could..............lol

Reactions: Maddog
I've been a PP for 25 years and I currently own and operate a 72 flybaby that is very fun to fly! I know all about bad landings in tri gear aircraft. Those landings break taildraggers.
Lowering the gimbal in the design phase of a small drone is nothing like landing a full scale aircraft, but at least we both got to brag. The good vibration free video is because I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't use a DuBro balancer and I don't have a balancing shaft for a DJI phantom. I would never use hot glue to balance the prop hub. What the heck is a ND filter anyway? I just found one on the ground and decided to try it. I think it helped? maybe someone with more experience could..............lol
Curious as to why no hot glue on the hubs for balancing? I've been doing it for years and have never loss the counter weight. Even after some really nice crashes with broken props. I always use a paint stick across the glue so I can verify quickly if something is missing.

Haha! Don't do anything to your Solo- it takes great video as is!:cool:

Mess with the gimbal angle. All it has taken for me.

Watching this video has me really chomping at the bit now waiting for mine to arrive.

*groans*

*has'ing a nightmarish vision of slow ketchup trying to get out of the bottle and onto the fries*

I have been flying my solo without a gimbal since it's release. The video sucked so I finally got the 3dr gimbal. I will say the gimbal works very well and gets great video at low speed as long as you don't use a lot of yaw. At higher speeds the gimbal gets almost full view of the props. It also picks up the landing gear in yaw. I guess I was expecting a more refined setup for $1400 without a camera. It seems like the Solo and the gimbal are like the chicken and the egg. Which came first?
Instead of trying to make the Solo's body look symmetrical maybe shift weight toward the rear and move the gimbal forward. Form follows function.

Write this down. THE CHICKEN CAME FIRST!
If you believe in a higher being, he/she/it created all the creatures initially.
If you're an agnostic (or atheist) the chicken would be needed to lay/incubate/hatch the first egg.

other than that, the chicken or the egg has nothing to do with your Solo! LOL

Reactions: Leafy
Set your gimbal at 85 deg. instead of 90 and fly slower to get rid of the props.

Set your GoPro to medium resolution and don't yaw hard to avoid the landing gear.

Perhaps your problems are a result of not knowing how to get the best results out of your equipment. You need to learn how to properly use it.

i remember 3DR promised no props/no gear in shots when using gopro medium FoV...so why should we have to compromise speed/tilt angle to get what was promised?

Reactions: Leafy
i remember 3DR promised no props/no gear in shots when using gopro medium FoV...so why should we have to compromise speed/tilt angle to get what was promised?
You're right- we shouldn't! I'm also upset that I'm not getting anywhere close to 25 minutes flight time!:mad:

Back to your issue, even if I leave my gimbal at 90 deg I don't get props in view unless I'm accelerating hard. With medium FOV I don't get my landing gear unless I'm yawing hard.

Here is a video I made from doing the mapping in Mexico. It shows what happens when you go to high at the end of the battery and can't make it down in time to avoid an accident. Also can't figure out why the battery so quickly discharged. This has not happened before.

oh goodness...what was it doing at 1000ft when the juice is almost out?
be glad it happened over home...not somebody's head.

Umm... what was the height when the free fall started? It doesn't look like a complete power failure. Doesn't seem possible someone could actually make that catch at all.
The battery probably drained that fast from going so high so fast.
Sure you should've been that high in the first place? 1000 ft.?

It was coming down as fast as I could get it down. When I tried to stop its rapid descent it was at about 80'. Didn't slow at all and the battery was on zero. I would say it really picked up speed at about 40'. The blades were still spinning when my son in law caught it. I had to power them off. So it wasn't completely dead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks